No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-11-22, 11:40pm
Hello?

Default Etching Enamels

I made a bead with a small amount of enamel on the surface and I cant get it to etch in some of the areas. It just stays shiney while the rest of the bead is matte. I tried to etch it again for another 5 minutes but I didn't notice any difference.

Confused.....

~Joe~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-11-23, 12:09am
I'm a lilac!

Some glass just doesn't respond well to etching solution. Bullseye, many of the COE 96 glass, and some enamels are like that... you may have to tumble it with grit in a rock tumbler (very inexpensive at Harbor Freight) or sandblast it to get it evenly matte.

Old 2006-11-24, 12:27pm
Hello?

Thanks for the info Kalera

~Joe~

Old 2006-11-24, 12:41pm
Fire Monkey

I've had some success with 1200 grit wet/dry carborundum paper from the hardware store. Not good for beads with a lot of nooks and crannies, but for small simple beads it works OK. I sand under a stream of water at the sink to avoid grinding the glass particles back into the bead.