Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2014-01-16, 12:55pm

Default Temporary torch set up in greenhouse/glasshouse

Hello all!

I'm interested in trying flameworking, glass as a medium has fascinated me for a long time and I've been doing lots of reading and browsing this great forum. But at the moment we're staying with my parents and I don't want to impact too much on their home if starting a hobby like this. I think there are two possible place I could torch in the house - my dad's garage or the greenhouse(which is glass) adjoining the garage.

The garage would be preferable but I'm not sure there would be enough room for me as my dad has a huge collection of tools, and the space is also used quite regular for car repairs - professional level with a car lift! So lots of exhaust fumes, petrol and oil that would be a no-no with a torch, I'm assuming.

So I'd like to ask if anyone has any experience torching in a glasshouse? I would be starting small, on a hot head to see if I'm really serious about this hobby. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks
Old 2014-01-16, 2:23pm
Salt Box Beads

Welcome to LE. Go for it, you won't know what you can do in a greenhouse until you try.
Old 2014-01-16, 3:43pm

Does the greenhouse have windows that open? You'd want to be able to move some air through it for ventilation somehow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-01-16, 5:12pm
MacGalver

I would think the greenhouse would be much preferable to the garage! Good luck~

Old 2014-01-16, 5:40pm
Loving learning

You don't mention where you live, is it in a temperate area, frozen north, etc?
Old 2014-01-17, 2:52am

As far as I can tell, the are windows in the roof that can open, I need to check that one out. There's a sliding glass door which I could leave open in warmer weather, and I was thinking I could use one of those box fans I've seen in studios on this site. I live in Ireland so our weather is never really that cold, at night during the winter it can drop but not much below freezing! I think I would probably rather torch during the day in any case as the garage is quite seperate from the house and could be a bit spooky at night time. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 2014-01-17, 2:57am

I should also mention that I wanted to check this out so I can convince my parents to let me set up a torch! Wish me luck on making my case
Old 2014-01-17, 12:18pm
Slogan Challenged...

Is there a studio you can try out equipment and see how much room you need? Perhaps your folks would like to see it too so it doesn't sound that bad. Working in a greenhouse studio sounds wonderful!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-01-24, 5:39am

So I spoke to my parents yesterday, and they don't have a problem with me torching in the greenhouse, as long as the hobby doesn't get too big and take over the house! So I'm going to try out a workshop to give torching a go... and start learning some techniques! A concern that they had, which I also had was secure storage of any equipment. The greenhouse is not very secure so I would need to lock up all the torching equipment somewhere else. Does anyone have experience of working like this? I would probably use some kind of trolley to get the gear from one shed to the other, the lockable shed is about 30 meters away(total guess!).
Old 2014-01-27, 12:47pm
Artistically Absorbed

If you are using concentrators for oxy, the greenhouse might be a problem. They are usually very humid environments for the plants, and concentrators don't like that from what I've heard.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2014-01-28, 2:12pm
Ooohhh! Shiny!

What equipment will you have besides the Hot Head and gas? If you load it on a rolling metal table, you should be able to make it very mobile.
Old 2014-01-29, 2:01am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAllayneous View Post
So I spoke to my parents yesterday, and they don't have a problem with me torching in the greenhouse, as long as the hobby doesn't get too big and take over the house!
Oh dear, I only see one thing wrong with this....' as long as it doesn't get too big and take over the house.' Well that ought to last at least a week, maybe 10 days depending on where you're shipping glass from and the current status of UPS and the frozen east coast
WELCOME! Another one melts the glass...
Old 2014-01-29, 2:03am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAllayneous View Post
So I spoke to my parents yesterday, and they don't have a problem with me torching in the greenhouse, as long as the hobby doesn't get too big and take over the house!
Oh dear, I only see one thing wrong with this....' as long as it doesn't get too big and take over the house.' Well that ought to last at least a week, maybe 10 days depending on where you're shipping glass from and the current status of UPS and the frozen east coast
WELCOME! Another one melts the glass...
Old 2014-01-31, 3:21am

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoTantuli View Post
If you are using concentrators for oxy, the greenhouse might be a problem. They are usually very humid environments for the plants, and concentrators don't like that from what I've heard.
The greenhouse isn't used for plants at the moment, so this shouldn't be a problem hopefully? Just extra storage and somewhere warm to sit really!

I've booked in for a beginners workshop to get the ball rolling and as far as equipment goes I would be definitely starting very small... just a hothead and gas, and small amounts of glass materials. I'd be hoping to find a lampworker locally where I could pay them for kiln time to anneal what ever I make. The rolling table is a good idea, some kind of rolling transport should do the trick.

Thanks for the warm welcome ohbeads!
Old 2014-02-16, 1:42am
kinda torching....

Check out Devardi for tools mandels and glass

Old 2014-02-16, 4:52am

It sounds good! I think one problem might be too much light - seeing the temperature of the glass can be quite important. Do you look at the Frit Happens Forum which is mostly European based - good way to find out local suppliers. Also, Tuffnell Glass are running a big bead making event 'Flame Off' in England in April - it's well worth a visit if you can make it. Lots of demos, classes, opportunities to try out equipment etc. Take a look at http://www.tuffnellglass.com/contents/en-uk/d65.html
Old 2014-03-16, 9:38am
Queen of the milo field

Let us know how your intro class went, for sure. You'll know fairly quickly if the addiction has got you.

And come on down to the Newbies & Intermediate thread. We love to chat and share info and pics of what we're up to.

dj
Old 2014-03-20, 6:29am

I had my first workshop a couple of weeks ago, and glad to say I really enjoyed it! My second workshop is hopefully happening this weekend. I've been watching lots of great demo videos from the Corning museum of Glass and reading about lots of different lampwork artists as inspiration - I discovered the Japanese style tonbodama which I'm particlarly taken by!

I'm also starting to do the sums for getting a torch... Looking at a hot head to start with, and take it from there! I may have caught the bug.