No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2014-04-09, 11:06am
Texas Art Angel

Default Oxygen Concentrator storage question

Hi, we are getting ready finally to start on the inside of my studio. My question is. Can I put my Oxygen Concentrators in a cabinet base? They would have room around them but just wanting to know if it would be okay. I've got ventilation being taken care of. Propane outside, Kiln even has ventilation, just curious about these needing room around them for something.
Any help would be appriciated.
Thanks,
Lori
Old 2014-04-09, 4:31pm
Loving learning

I wouldn't put mine inside a cabinet. It seems like they need free access to the room air, also I think it could get overheated, but that may be wrong for course.
Old 2014-04-09, 6:39pm
Texas Art Angel

thank you for the input. I am just worried. My husband says there is plenty of room in there and I could leave the doors open when I am working. I would love more input. Thanks again.
Lori
Old 2014-04-10, 1:33am
Alaska Boro

Check the manual and see what the maximum operational temperature is for the unit. Then test in your cabinet and measure the temperature to see what is possible. If the manual should say "do not operate in a confined space", then caution should be used prior to implementing your idea.

Generally, excess heat is not a friend of either electronics or mechanical pumps. If sufficient air movement is available then proceed with your cabinet idea.
Old 2014-04-10, 4:26am

A cabinet could be an issue. To understand why you need to understand what a concentrator does.

It sucks in fresh air and separates Nitrogen (~79%) from the rest of the air. The "rest" (most is Oxygen) is pumped through the hose to your torch. The nitrogen will be exhausted from the concentrator.

If there is no proper ventilation around the concentrator, the nitrogen concentration will increase while the oxygen concentration will decrease. This would finally end up in the concentrator failing to produce enough oxygen.

All this said it means: make sure that air can easily exchange without barriers like door sills etc.

In addition to this please watch the temperature as said before. The pump that is inside the concentrator produces a lot of heat. (I had a concentrator where the inside fan failed and it was too hot to touch until it switched off its self). The heat needs to flow off to the top.
Old 2014-04-10, 6:56am
Gentleman of Leisure

Very good answer...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2014-04-10, 8:10am

a cabinet could work...if you can cut a couple holes in strategic spots...like in the back/bottom for the exhaust and one in the side for the intake.
Old 2014-04-11, 8:19am
Texas Art Angel

Thank you all for your answers. I have read them to him and I think he now agrees we don't want or need them in cabinets.
He is trying hard to make this studio beautiful for me and trying to do everything perfect. We all know I'll mess it up in 10 minutes but at least he cares.

Sheetrock starts monday!!!!

Thanks again
Lori