No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-11-19, 6:29am
Passion for Beads

Default How to make golden dots?

I have tried to make golden dots, with the gold filigrano rod. But that gives me not the result i am looking for.

Does anyone have sugestions how to make gorgious looking golden dots?
Old 2006-11-19, 7:38am
Detail G-Mama!

If you want the goldstone dots, you need to use goldstone in chunk form and pull stringer from that. If you want metallic gold dots, iris gold chunks pulled into stringer and then applied. Once they are applied you need to reduce them and that will bring the metal out and make them shiny!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-11-19, 8:42am
Passion for Beads

Dear Anne,

Thank you so much for your answere. I have iris gold, but diddent get the result i wanted. I now know i have to reduce them.

Thank you so much. I get started right away.
Old 2006-11-19, 8:52am
Detail G-Mama!

Yep, just crank up that propane a bit and then flash the bead or wave the bead to where you see the metal coming up to the surface! Have fun!

Old 2006-11-19, 8:30pm
A Splash o' Glass

I also use Iris gold stringers to make raised gold dots. But I also found another neat reaction with it. The part of my stringer that I pull that has less Iris gold on it and more clear, towards the end, makes really nice miniture pearls out of your raised dots. Reduce slightly to get the metal to just rise to the surface. I think with more clear to Iris gold ratio, it creates the pearly effect. I don't have an exact recipe...I just came upon this by chance. I don't feel like going through the camera routine tonight, but I'll take a picture and post later. I really love this though. Try experimenting with it.

Old 2006-11-19, 10:16pm
Renaissance Girl

Default Another gold look

I sometimes use a stringer I pulled from an amber or dark yellow glass, with the goldstone mixed well in it. A different look though.
Old 2006-11-20, 5:28am
Detail G-Mama!

You can encase chunk goldstone with different transparent colors, just make sure they are dark and moretti black will give you a very pretty purple and rubino gives you a gorgeous color as well and dark emerald or teal also! That tip is from Kristen Frantzen Orr.

Old 2006-11-20, 12:41pm
Queen of small things

You can also use a gold glass paint. It has to be painted on then fired. It gives you a real gold look ( like the look on vintage goblet/glass rims).

The stuff really smell BAD when you fire it, but does leave you with GOLD- a true gold look.

The product is:

Mayco OV-1 Bright Gold

It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty... I'm gonna drink it through this crazy straw.

In North Georgia? Visit my bead store!