LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-11-19, 6:58am

Smile realistic reptile eyes

Can anyone give me a quick lesson on getting realistic turtle eyes? I know Glassline had it in the mag 2 issues ago, but I can't get it from my supplier and it's not online yet. Thanks a ton
Old 2006-11-21, 6:59am

Okay, in case anyone (like me) was wondering exactly what a turtle eye looked like, here it is: http://www.chelydra.org/ca_common_eye.jpg

Cool!!

JanMD
Old 2006-11-21, 11:10am
Skeptical Optimist

From that picture, it seems like you could make a cane from casing a clear rod with light and dark brown stripes (or whatever color you prefer), then laying down a blob and putting a light yellow dot over the center, then a black dot over the center. Then you'd encase the whole thing. I think I'll try this tonight with amber and black walnut after I get off work. If anyone has some good looking ones please post! Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Patrice & Paul, Running a Mirage and Barracuda on a Pro-8.
Old 2006-11-22, 6:42pm
Miss my BoBo Griff

Actually that would be an easy cane to make. You would need a black rod a beige color rod a trans brown that is mixed with clear to make it striated, a opaque brn and a clear. start with the black and make a gather then use your mashers and work it into a hotdog tube shape. around this tube either use a beige color rod and case the black (make sure you don't cover the end of the rod) or use fine frit in the beige color and coat around until you get a good build up of that color all around the black. You need to heat it in each layer and marver a bit to keep it smooth. next, start laying down a line of the stiated trans brown build the lin up straight (like a fin) until it's the righ diameter for the pupil you already did. next to and right up against that line start a line of the opaq brn and build it up the same way. Alternate going all the way around the pupil until you meet the first line and make sure the layers alternate so that they end with the opaq next to the trans. This entire thing can be cased in clear or not your choice. heat the end and cap it with clear and attach a handle. take the black rod off and cap that end with clear and attack another handle. Heat the entire mass making sure it is all the same heat base and make sure you DoNot Twist The blob of glass or your design will be twisted. When you are sure you have enough heat in there then come out of the flame let it cool slightly and pull out your cane to the diameter you want. I recomend a couple of dif diameter sizes for dif size turtles. Hope this helps you.
chris ann
Old 2006-11-22, 8:29pm
Skeptical Optimist

Wink

My perspective is that of a boro gal wanting to stretch the color as far as possible since it's all in the $40-$70 range. Most of the time it's best to use a clear as the core for a lined cane like that.

Patrice & Paul, Running a Mirage and Barracuda on a Pro-8.
Old 2006-11-22, 9:11pm

Thanks a lot guys. I wasn't really looking for a striped look, like was in that picture. Just a nice easy reptile eye, pointed on the corners like this <>. I need to find a back issue of that Glassline. Thanks for all your help!
Old 2006-11-23, 5:38am

any design cane you want, draw it in cross section that will tell you the shapes and colors from inside out. you cant use clear cores in canes for eyes, the pupil needs to be the color you want. i usually build on a black rod. take your time make it nice and you will have many many many eyes from that one cane, i still use a cane i made 2 years ago when i need blue eyes. i usually pull it so its uneven, a section a bit smaller than other so i have different size eyes to chose from.
ro