No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2005-09-17, 6:53am
Indecision = Flexibility

Default Hose Question

The other day I noticed something about my hoses that I'm unsure as to what it is or whether it is dangerous. Where the hoses are stuck together there is something like crystals forming. It looks like very very fine salt and scrapes off. It is on both hoses, either side of the join, and about 1/8 inch strip down the hose at the join.

The hose set was purchased at Gathering this year. It is a 25-foot set for oxy-propane and was purchased from a reputable vendor. I don't remember noticing this before this last week, but that's not saying much - it's a good thing my head is attached to my neck. I do remember a recent caution about some hoses sold being the wrong kind, but I thought those were a different set than the 25-ft oxy/prop set.

So is this something that's okay/normal, or is it something that means the hoses need to be tossed and replaced? Anyone know?

Gayle
Old 2005-09-17, 7:44am
Gentleman of Leisure

Can't say what problem may be, as I have never observed or heard of such a situation.

The main hose issue though is hoses should be type "T" which is for use with LPG, or more specifically Propane. If hose is NOT stamped or embossed that it is type "T" or "LPG - Propane" approved. it is highly suspect.

Type "R" or "RM" is the most popular hose sold as it is pretty much used in welding industry with Acetylene as a fuel.

The problem is with wrong hose type, the compounds that make up hose are formulated to specifically resist attack by the fuels that goes through them. Using wrong type hose will cause it to degrade sooner and deteriorate to a point where it becomes a hazard or at least it begins to flake off materials inside and plug up torch orifices...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2005-09-17, 8:01am
Indecision = Flexibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M.
The main hose issue though is hoses should be type "T" which is for use with LPG, or more specifically Propane. If hose is NOT stamped or embossed that it is type "T" or "LPG - Propane" approved. it is highly suspect. Dale
They're stamped type "T". I thought perhaps it was the glue used to hold the two hoses together. Didn't know for sure, though, and wanted to ask if anyone else did.

Gayle
Old 2005-09-17, 10:40am
Safety ALWAYS

Nothing to worry about - they actually come that way from the factory. I'm not sure if the crystal formation is from the lubricant used to feed the hose through the sealing machine that joins the red and green hoses together or from the wrapping machine, but I've seen exactly what you are talking about and it is nothing to worry about.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-09-17, 3:31pm
Indecision = Flexibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius
Nothing to worry about - they actually come that way from the factory. I'm not sure if the crystal formation is from the lubricant used to feed the hose through the sealing machine that joins the red and green hoses together or from the wrapping machine, but I've seen exactly what you are talking about and it is nothing to worry about.
Thank you, Mike. I'm mightily relieved

Gayle