Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-03-24, 4:35pm
On A Lampwork Hiatus

Default Do You Plan before you Torch?

Hi,

I was having a hard time sitting at the torch and concentrating on just a few colors or one design.. I think I have beading ADD.. LOL

Question is do you plan out what your going to do before you even sit in front of your torch? Like sketching it out and such?
Old 2006-03-24, 4:57pm
Feverish Little Minx

I have yet to draw a sketch, but I do try to plan out color schemes, so I can have stuff within hand's reach.

I'm all out of clever.
Old 2006-03-24, 5:13pm
glass is sooo...me!

The only time I ever drew what I wanted I never made it. I also lay out some colors and perhaps pull some stringer before I start.
Still I usually end up rummaging through my glass rods with a hot bead in my hand anyway!
Old 2006-03-24, 7:21pm

I have books full of sketches, color combos and notes. Do I ever look at them after they're done? Hardly ever. I google images of bugs and flowers and whatever a lot and take the pic with me to the torch. Also I have a Reader's Digest book of North American flora and fauna and I use that ALL the time. I'd be SO upset if I ever lost that book. It's got great illustrations of trees and flowers and bugs and fish and.....you get the picture. Many days it's just whatever flies by though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-03-24, 9:16pm
The Crazy One

Nope, never. Heck the propane will be burning and I'll be begging the glass to talk to me! Some times I will change colors mid way through and have to clean a rod of glass. My idea of planning is to put my favorite shirt on to torch in!
Old 2006-03-24, 9:26pm
Ad astra per aspera

I can't draw to save my life, so I don't sketch or anything, but sometimes I tell myself "bead stories" that I put in my Palm then print out. I have odd bits of these paper recipes attached to the edges of my vent hood with magnets (think of restaurant order tickets LOL). When I'm stuck, I'll pull one down and give it a try. Sometimes I wake up with ideas in my head, get up and lay out the colors/frit/etc that I'll need for when I'm ready to torch after I get the kids to school. Most of the time MY ADD is visiting so I just go with the flow.

I've even been known to just give my frit lazy susan a whirl, close my eyes and reach out when it stops. That gets interesting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-03-25, 5:56am
Jeff's Personal Bartender

I got a sketch book (tiny) that I carry with me. I have jotted down a lot of stuff, and when I feel "stuck" I go back and thumb through it and do the first thing that really grabs my attention. But lately, I've been sitting at the torch staring a LOT. *lol*

Amy

Ebay ID:
Old 2006-03-25, 6:52am

And now for the opposing viewpoint!! Yes, I almost always plan what I am going to be doing at the torch, but I may have plans for doing 2 pieces, and that gives me time for "evolution". While I am doing the first piece, I think, wow, what if I tried it this way - and while I am trying that, I will think - hey, what if I changed colors!! So, yes, there is a plan, and I usually (but not always) get the two pieces done I planned for, but the evolution of those subsequent pieces is what is really the fun part.

When I had a "real" job, my commute time was sometimes as much as an hour and a half, and I used that time to plan my time at the torch. I even kept a sketch book beside me in the car (okay, most of the commute time was going 3 miles an hour or sitting completely stopped) and jotted down notes or a sketch of what I thought about. At that time I actually think my torch time was more productive, but I'm having more fun now!!

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2006-03-25, 9:47pm

I think about what I want to make, or ask Judie what she needs for her jewelry. I'll get the colors out that I think I may need. Most of the time I'm flying by the seat of my pants and change in mid-stream. I've gotten pretty good at holding a mandrel full of hot glass in my mouth while getting another color out. lol... That's the only planning I do unless there is some specific design Judie needs.

Bob

Glass can be a Solid, Glass can be a Liquid, But Glass should always be a GAS!

Old 2006-03-25, 9:59pm
Entropy increasing....

I have never sketched a bead.

I wing it, off the cuff, spur of the moment, whatever speaks to me.
Old 2006-03-25, 10:05pm
More ideas than talent

I choose some colours and have some ideas I want to try out. that only usually lasts through about 2 beads though.

Even if could draw decently, I still wouldn't be able to execute it in glass yet anyway...

Old 2006-03-25, 11:02pm
HourGlass Studio

I have loads of pics and drawings but never seem to use them. I have tried to a few times but I usually just sit down grab a few colors and mely away.

Old 2006-03-26, 5:12am
Goddess

I do it both ways. I love to draw and when I get an idea for a new bead, more often the sculpted beads, I will draw it and color it and prop it up near the torch. Sometimes I follow it completely, sometimes not but I like having it there. Sometimes I doodle when considering color combinations. My "normal" bead sets are made without a sketch.

Old 2006-03-27, 10:58am
Where Am I?

I try to have an idea of what I want to make when I start to torch but I don't sketch it. However I do sketch designs for my jewelry. Sometimes the jewelry come out as I have sketched it. other times I get started and just keep changing things till the finished piece is totally different from the sketch.

Some days you're the dog.
Other days you're the hydrant

phyliss
Old 2006-03-28, 12:24pm
Floral Obsessed

I have an office job and I am often overcome by the desire to torch instead of organize files. Doodling and sketching (which I'm decent at) on my lunch hour is a very helpful release and I've also worked out some pretty good designs that way! I found it very useful to have a reference for sculptural pieces. Plus my time is limited so if I have an idea for something I really want to do I am more likely to remember it at the torch if I write it down. Half the time I forget to take my notes out of my bag in the evenings, though. Then I just look at the rods and wing it! -H.
Old 2006-03-28, 12:46pm

My wife gave up trying to help me plan beads to make....she printed out a bunch of different kinds of trout in color and put them on the wall in front of the torch..... "suggested color palettes"
Old 2006-03-29, 5:49pm
sunscreen me baby

I do plan. During homework time I will sit and sketch out ideas. It makes me feel useful as I sit there waiting to check things or help. When I'm waiting to fall asleep I will often plan in my head what colors I'm going to use and what I will make the next day.
But there are times I pull all the glass I'm going to use, look at it and I'm just not in the right color mood that day. So I look for what colors are calling me and go with it. Same thing with shapes. I may be determined a design is going to look so good on a pillow only to find that my pillows are getting dunked in the water because I'm just not working the press right.
So while I do plan, the plan often changes at a moment's notice.

~

Old 2006-03-29, 6:53pm
Just Me

I plan, too. Gads, I gotta. If not, my mind goes in all different directions. Oh so little time. ~Barb