LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-05-02, 9:07pm

Default Lentil "Butts" -- please post pics!

This subject has been brought up again and again on this and other forums.
There are people who can't stand "butts" on lentils and others who like them.
I've read the threads, but I haven't come across any pics on what an actual "butt" on a lentil looks like. I know what a lentil looks like, I make them all the time. They always turn out with little dips where the end holes are. I find them attractive, and also I would think this is what makes them lentils. With the right proportion and distribution of glass prior to pressing, I can also make the lentils without any dips. But I prefer the dips.

There is always the spree or button press which can be used instead of a lentil press if someone doesn't like "butts".

So, for everyone who doesn't like dips, or butts on lentils could you please post pics of lentils WITH butts on them , and ones WITHOUT butts on them.
In other words a photo of a lentil you find unacceptible and a photo of one you like.

I just wanted to have something to compare to, just to have an idea of how much "butt" is too much "butt". And if a little "butt" is ok. Sorry for typing "butt" 15,000 times in one post LOL!
Old 2010-05-02, 9:09pm

I don't make straight lentils because of this and always make ssl to make sure the bead hole is what I want - sorry no pics of things I don't like!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-05-02, 11:01pm

Sadiesjewels,
Could you post a pic of one of your SSL's?
Old 2010-05-03, 5:07am
sunscreen me baby

They are not unacceptable. I don't like them, but that doesn't make them wrong. So if you like yours, why do you care?

~

Old 2010-05-03, 5:24am
Gimme that silver glass!

I prefer to cap my lentils, I just think it's prettier. But hey, that's just my 0.02 .

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2010-05-03, 5:36am
Life is change. Love it

Beautiful Anouk!

I love your new avatar, very pretty!

Old 2010-05-03, 8:13am
Salt Box Beads

I personally prefer slightly puckered ends but capped ends and just straight or smoothed flat are fine too as long as there are NO sharp ends and it is all smooth, balanced and looks like the person finished the bead so to speak.

Lorraine
Old 2010-05-03, 9:39am
Will work for glass...

I usually heat the ends and flatten them with a marver...I guess its just personal preference! But I have also capped them like Anouk does...usually if I'm trying to cover up a mistake
Old 2010-05-03, 10:22am
Roo ...

I do not like the "mousebite" look myself, but the alternative when making pressed lentils is to have flat ends with no dimples. It seems like many people consider this poor craftsmanship. I am really confused about what an acceptable hole on a large pressed lentil bead is, as I would hate to sell something considered poor form. Yet I have been spending a lot of glass and time making large lentils (1 1/4" to 1 1/2" diameter) that are really at a high risk of not having perfectly smooth, dimpled ends (but they're darned close!). Do I toss most of them out, or ... ? I don't want to turn out poor quality work, but I find no consensus of what that is.

Really looking forward to further discussion on this thread!

Regards,
- Becky in MN

Old 2010-05-03, 10:26am

Anouk,

After you press the lentil, you add glass 'caps' to the ends??

SRA #C88

Old 2010-05-03, 10:29am
Lover of Life

Is this a butt?

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2010-05-03, 10:39am
sunscreen me baby

Yup, look at those sexy little cheeks

~

Old 2010-05-03, 10:40am
sunscreen me baby

Becky if the ends aren't sharp and you like the bead it's just fine.

~

Old 2010-05-03, 12:22pm
Lover of Life

I guess I could use a little less cheek, but I prefer some roundness for sure. Anyway, doesn't really matter how I feel about it, I hope someone who goes to my Etsy likes this bead and likes butts!

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2010-05-03, 12:34pm
Critter Mom

Well, guess I learned somethin' new today cuz I had never heard of lentil "butts" before. I make lentils with every focal and I'm sure I've made some, if not all, just like bexrox's photo. I don't have any on hand to share, but when I get back to makin' sets I'll have to pay more attention to this detail.

Old 2010-05-03, 1:05pm

Anouk -
I love the beads you make like this. They are amazing!!!
And I really like your new avatar too.

[

Old 2010-05-03, 1:24pm
honorary bead lady

So was Sir Mix-A-Lot singin about beads????
Old 2010-05-03, 1:54pm
Gimme that silver glass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozles View Post
Anouk,

After you press the lentil, you add glass 'caps' to the ends??
Yes I do . I actually don't cover mistakes, I just prefer the look of capped ends on lentils, don't know why .

LisaF and Carolyn, thanks so much . I have to thank my DH for the pic in the avatar, it's one of the few nice pictures I have of myself LOL.

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2010-05-03, 2:05pm
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredinCoquille View Post
Well, guess I learned somethin' new today cuz I had never heard of lentil "butts" before...
Ditto.

And I agree that it's all about personal preference and NOT about what is "acceptable" and "not acceptable".

The beads shown here are lovely, but I guess I prefer butts to glass "caps". Perhaps that's because of the way I structure my jewelry designs. Shrug

Old 2010-05-03, 2:08pm
Gimme that silver glass!

That's good to know Laura, I didn't look at it from a jewelry designers point . Even if the glass "caps" have good dimpled ends (I think, for me personally that is, that it's very important to have no sharp ends)?

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2010-05-03, 2:25pm
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Lover View Post
That's good to know Laura, I didn't look at it from a jewelry designers point . Even if the glass "caps" have good dimpled ends (I think, for me personally that is, that it's very important to have no sharp ends)?
I think you're right... sharp ends are harder to work with than most any shapes.

Old 2010-05-03, 3:05pm
Lampworkaholic!

I vote for lentil butts, mouse bites, or whatever you want to call them. I like the way crystals nestle in them, or bead aligners. For similar reasons, I like donuts much better than rounds.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-05-03, 3:29pm
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
I vote for lentil butts, mouse bites, or whatever you want to call them. I like the way crystals nestle in them, or bead aligners. For similar reasons, I like donuts much better than rounds.
Ooooh, I'm so in love with rounds right now (spherical).

But I totally agree about being able to put a 4mm bead into the ends of a lentil to stabilize it... it just ends up looking very natural.

Old 2010-05-03, 8:10pm
Duchess of Dichro

Quote:
Thats why I like butts too

Old 2010-05-03, 8:43pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I like big butts and I cannot lie!

Old 2010-05-03, 8:57pm
Super Duper

I personally don't like butts on lentils. IMO It just breaks the "perfectness" of the circle that a lentil is. That being said, I don't use a real lentil press, instead I have corrina's "orb" press which has the flatter edge. I prefer it to a lentil since it allows you to have a dimple without the butt.

On a real lentil it could go either way. I have found that with thicker mandrels not having a butt leaves the glass dangerously thin around the hole.
Old 2010-05-03, 11:10pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
I vote for lentil butts, mouse bites, or whatever you want to call them. I like the way crystals nestle in them, or bead aligners.
This is why I like them too but for 3mm round sterling silver beads.

I think I made this about four years ago (notice the stormed stringer ):

Old 2010-05-04, 5:05am
Mary Lockwood

From a design standpoint, the way I construct jewelry, I like the butts.

I like that I can nestle things into them.

But I am more an advocate of having choices with the lentils. I hope everyone who likes them all different ways still makes them that way. The bead BUYERS have just as many opinions as we do and some like butts, some like smooth.

If we all started making them one way, whose way would we pick?

None of us are 'right'. It is just personal preference.

The only wrong thing you could do is make the hole sharp. That is NEVER good craftsmanship.

Old 2010-05-05, 5:49am
one day at a time

I don't make lentils yet, but as a jewelry designer, I would like the butts.
Old 2010-05-05, 6:13am
Happiness is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanTheNumberImp View Post
I personally don't like butts on lentils. IMO It just breaks the "perfectness" of the circle that a lentil is. That being said, I don't use a real lentil press, instead I have corrina's "orb" press which has the flatter edge. I prefer it to a lentil since it allows you to have a dimple without the butt.
What does this "orb" tool look like? pic please...

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons