Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-08-13, 6:56pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

omg, if you do a tutorial for this i would DEFINITELY BUY IT~!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude Rose View Post
I've been playing with the concepts in this thread for awhile and wanted to post some results:

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2012-04-16, 2:05am
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Just bought a bunch of stuff to try my hand at this faux boro business. Will post pics when finished!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-05-13, 8:56am

this is multicolor with iris gold stringer. I only had one hour this morning and I maked the basebead to large for the bubbles, so it cracked after taking the foto
Old 2012-05-13, 6:17pm

Love the colours in your bead Bless. It's a shame it cracked.
Old 2012-05-14, 6:47am
Flaming my life away

I'm amazed by all the gorgeous beads in this thread. Running off to the studio to try some of the techniques mentioned.
Old 2012-05-22, 2:06am

tried another, it isn't cracked (till now, but i put it in the kiln of course)
i probably used to much stringer because you don't see the undercolor anymore. have to practice a lot and lot and .....

and the other side

Old 2012-06-29, 1:14pm
Senior Moment

*late to the party*

I see one person tried something other than straw yellow or light transp brown (CIM sepia I believe) with the iris frits. I wonder If there are any other colors that may work? Has anyone tried anything else? Or know if any other colors (maybe a CIM as I have lots!) that might substitute well?

Alli
Old 2012-06-29, 1:19pm
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

Effetre light amber base (008 ) with BeadGoodies ATLANTIS frit (encased or not) is very cool... Too bad I do not have pictures to post!

Old 2012-06-29, 3:24pm
Senior Moment

Oh great. Another website with yummies I didn't know about till now *looks at her empty wallet and sobs*

Lovely stuff though; I've added beadgoodies to my shopping list LOL

On another note, I wonder what is it in the straw yellow and lt trans brown that's reacting with the iris Frits? If I could figure that out, I'd have a better idea what else to try...
Old 2012-06-30, 6:20pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I tried this using Straw Yellow (I don't have the Light Brown). Not much reaction at all, I have to say. What about Medium Brown? I've got some of that..

But I used Raku frit, some 'Brilliant Gold' frit - in case it was reactive and contained some Iris Gold (no idea of the maker, but this stuff just turned black on my HH when I tried it), and just for fun, some Black Nebula, all with the Straw Yellow.

Beads are nothing at all to write home about, but one thing I might look into further, is how the Brilliant Gold frit with SY, turned the Striking Orange base a lovely pink.
I might have to use more of the stringer on the beads themselves, and I might have to pull them not so thin. I'll have another go. Most of these have been encased with the Lavender.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-06-30, 6:25pm
Loving learning

I think it has to be at least 50% iris gold, but don't quote me. You got some pretty reactions even without it though, love the pink!
Old 2012-06-30, 6:28pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Yeah, the thing to keep in mind here for mine is that I've improvised almost everything

But I'd like to explore the pink thing more - I think it could also be partly the combo of encasing the straw yellowed stringer with the lavender (I forget which one), over the SO base. That's a good enough win for me

SRA# P107
Old 2012-06-30, 9:57pm
Senior Moment

I tried Iris Violet with a basic transp yellow base, not straw yellow. Bleaugh. Mud, as you can see below. Shiny mud.

I wonder if the chemical in lt transp brown and SY is titanium? I know it is used in both colors, while all the others usually used for yellow aren't used in brown and vice versa.

That pink is a major win IMHO though. Don't be surprised when you have folks msging you left and right for the recipe!
Attached Images

Old 2012-07-01, 5:39am
Evil Glass Enabler

I'm particularly fond of the beads on the second mandrel on the left. YUM! Angelique

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2012-07-04, 9:49pm
Dianne Gleaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghipp View Post
Watch the size of the carnelian rods....they are huge. FYI, I know as I got them. 12mm or bigger. Dianne
Old 2012-07-05, 3:06am
StudioMarcy

flametreeglass.com has some pretty ones...and they are normal size.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2012-07-11, 4:35pm
Loving learning

Thanks all for sharing this technique. I love it!

Now I need to try striking red over ivory as a base to see if I can get De's pinks!
Old 2012-07-11, 4:43pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Eileen, you've aced it!

SRA# P107
Old 2012-07-11, 5:04pm
Loving learning

Thanks Di, I've got my fingers crossed that I can get pink like De did. My DIL loves pink!
Old 2012-07-11, 6:13pm

this is frit from "That Frit Girl" She has a blue, green and gold I believe as well as variations of those. Works great to use straw yellow, melt into a blob and roll in the frit. Make a base bead of your choice color, then aplly stringer. You can go around the bead or make squiggles, bit are really cool. You can then lightly reduce or not and encase in clear. Be sure to encase completely or you will get browning around the bead hole, note the rt. bead...... This frit is alsmost infalible.
Attached Images

Old 2012-07-11, 9:10pm
I like to melt things

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeconroy View Post
this is frit from "That Frit Girl" She has a blue, green and gold I believe as well as variations of those. Works great to use straw yellow, melt into a blob and roll in the frit. Make a base bead of your choice color, then aplly stringer. You can go around the bead or make squiggles, bit are really cool. You can then lightly reduce or not and encase in clear. Be sure to encase completely or you will get browning around the bead hole, note the rt. bead...... This frit is alsmost infalible.
I do this with double helix frit. I make a random blend from Gaia, Kronos, Elektra and whatever else I have handy and do the dipping thing and pull it into stringer.

This works with Straw Yellow, Pale Green Apple, Kelp, Light Brown Transparent, Mojito and probably other colours as well... and using the Double Helix, I don't have to mess around with another COE.

-
-
Old 2012-07-11, 9:15pm
Loving learning

I think I have some Luna and Terranova maybe that I got a while back. Maybe I'll give it a try, thank you!
Old 2012-07-12, 1:52pm

okay I want to thank you for your images and ideas. I have a lot of vetrofond striking red that I did not know how I was going to use it and viola this thread is the inspiration I needed. If I make some I like I will post images.
Old 2012-07-23, 8:32pm
Loving learning

I didn't get the pink like De but I did get some pretty colors using ivory encased with striking red as my base for the iris gold/straw yellow frit! (encased with effetre 006 clear)

I am having a ball with this method!
Old 2012-07-24, 2:29am

These were Iris Gold , large-ish chunks, directly on black, several years ago (hence the crappy pic). No straw yellow or light brown! I am having a hard time duplicating it for some reason, though.
I remember it used to look good on lapis, too.

Old 2012-07-24, 8:01pm
Loving learning

Patti, do you remember which black you used? Maybe that is the difference?
Old 2012-07-25, 7:11am
Senior Moment

ok, finally have some Trans Brown to try with the Iris Gold. And success! Not fantastic, but for a first go, I'm pleased. Except for the stringer over ivory/silvered ivory on the far left. That came out eh. The rest, from left to right are on: Med Lapis, Black, Striking Red.
Attached Images

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2012-09-18, 8:14am
I speak Murrini!

BUMP...just 'cuz this technique is SO DANG COOL!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2012-09-27, 12:06pm

Default It was prettier :-(

OK, second attempt using trans lt brn stringer with raku powder and trans lt brn base. The center had more of the blues before encasing, did i burn the colors out when I encased it? Can someone let me know how I should encase it without burning please?

Thanks!
Aaron
Old 2012-10-06, 9:21pm
Loving learning

I do see you got color there, I just don't know if it is from the raku or if it was enhanced by the lt brown transparent. This technique calls for iris gold the way it was presented, so I'm not sure?