Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-12-16, 8:53pm
I ate a big red candle!

Default How long do your etching crystals last?

I bought some etching crystals from arrow springs and I love it so much better than the cream. I was just wondering how long it usually lasts.

I etch a LOT of beads and I've noticed they look a little shinier than they used to and I have a harder time getting every bit etched. It is pretty much black by now.

I already have more etching crystals purchased. Can I just add some to my current mix? Or should I make a new batch?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2012-12-16, 11:03pm
Flame Dames Rule!

I got the large jar of the A'Springs etching crystals about 3 years ago, and I'm still using it.

The liquid has turned black (doesn't effect how the stuff works) and it's maybe just a little less aggressive than when it was new, but I can still get a beautiful satin finish on black beads with a 10 minute soak.

Love the stuff!

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2012-12-17, 3:38am

I've used my jar for at least 5 years but I did have to replace it a few weeks ago, I was getting uneven etching even when I left the beads in there several hours.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2012-12-17, 4:32am
offically down under

I got a new jar recently and I forgot how strong the fresh stuff is compared to the vintage etch-all I used to have.

Old 2012-12-17, 7:14am
one day at a time

I think it is probably best to replace it every two years.
Old 2012-12-17, 10:33am
Flame Dames Rule!

What do you do when it's time to get rid of it? It's a toxic chemical, so it can't go in the trash or down the toilet...

Sharon Peters

Old 2012-12-17, 10:41am
Rose colored glasses…√

Neutralize it, incrementally, with a gallon of water, and tablespoons of baking soda, and when it stops reacting when you add a tablespoon of baking soda, you can dispose of it down your drain.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2012-12-17, 11:36am
Flame Dames Rule!

Thank you!

Sharon Peters

Old 2012-12-18, 8:20am

Be careful with the neutralizing though, it is very exothermic and adding the soda to the etching solution can result in projections that are dangerous. It is good practice (in chemistry labs) to do the reverse, which is to prepare a solution of baking soda and add the etching solution drop by drop to it. This way if you get boiling or blubbing (nice technical word that), the projected liquid is the soda soution, not the etching solution.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2012-12-18, 10:42am
Rose colored glasses…√

True, I guess it would depend on how much etching liquid is mixed into the gallon of water. When we neutralize muriatic acid at the shop that way, it doesn't really boil and bubble tumultuously when we add the baking soda to it.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2012-12-18, 12:17pm
one day at a time

I don't pour it down the drain after neutralizing because I don't want that in my septic system, so I dump the neutralized solution in the yard far away from the wells and water supply lines and hose it down.
Old 2012-12-21, 1:51pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij View Post
Neutralize it, incrementally, with a gallon of water, and tablespoons of baking soda, and when it stops reacting when you add a tablespoon of baking soda, you can dispose of it down your drain.
not baking soda, it does not neutralise it - you have to use lime

read the MSDS sheet here, please
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...75#post4193475

from the MSDS sheet

SMALL SPILLS:
Wear self-contained breathing apparatus and full protective clothing. Neutralise with Lime (Calcium Hydroxide) if possible. Take up with sand, dirt or vermiculite. DO NOT use sawdust. Use non-sparking tools. Place into labelled drum(s) for later disposal.

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy

Last edited by PerfectDeb; 2012-12-21 at 1:54pm.