Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2011-02-08, 3:41pm

Lori, what a great idea! Love the jacks too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-02-10, 1:27pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Thanks Rose!

I have one other tip - I find that I get better images with more reflective quality to them when I have a dark gray gradient reflecting down onto the frosted mirror. I just prop up the background in the back of the photo cube.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2011-02-11, 11:49am

Thanks Lori! The tip with the gradient background is interesting. I'm going to try that. I noticed a difference whether I used my black or white background but never tried a gradient. Great idea.

Old 2011-02-11, 5:39pm
Denise

Thanks for sharing this idea Lori, I didn't see it when it was first posted.

I have a tip too. My day job is picture framing and we always have offcuts of glass and acrylic. If you have a local picture framer, ask there, I know that if I was asked for small pieces I'd only charge a couple of bucks or on a good day give it away. We rarely use non reflective acrylic, so have very few offcuts, but we use non reflective glass a lot and have plenty. I took a couple of quick photo's with n/r acrylic and n/r glass (I found two pieces better than one). The first pic is acrylic and the second, glass.

Old 2011-03-02, 9:18am
BabblingBeads

Loved this idea and went out searching for frosted mirror and couldn't find it, but I got regular mirror and frosted sheets. I worked out great. Thanks so much for this idea!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribeads View Post
Ok, after many emails to the tabletop studios guy and them NEVER having the frosted mirror background in stock, I finally got fed up and made my own. Here's how:

I went to TAP plastics and found that they, sadly, do not carry frosted mirror. Poop. BUT, they do have mirror AND they also have frosted so I bought one sheet of acrylic mirror (I had them cut mine to 12" x 15" but it is a little too wide to put inside my little photo tent so if you have the same tabletopstudios photo tent, do yourself a favor and get it cut 11 inches instead!) and another sheet, same size, of frosted acrylic. Put the frosted acrylic on top of the mirror and PRESTO! You have this:

Old 2011-03-02, 2:00pm
Alaska Boro

Another source that is often overlooked is to disassemble an older LCD computer monitor. An old Mitsubishi E85 LCD provided diffusion and polarizing sheets. New LCDs have not been tested to see what material they contain. Also LCD TV's may also be a source.
Old 2011-04-21, 11:17am
My Glass Dreams

Talking

I just ran across this article and was happy to hear about Tap plactics. I went to my local craft store to see what I could do--either etched mirror or etched plastic and I can offer another good solution at a very cheap price. When I expained to the girl what I needed she took me to a section that had very thin sheets of frosted plastic that quilters use to cut out quilt pieces to use as reusable patterns.
The cost was $1.49.
the size 12" by 18"
Called Template Plastic
I brought it home and low and behold I had a mirror in a frame 12" x 18" that I had used in years past for self portraits. So I took the mirror apart and put the thin frosted sheet on top of the mirror. And wa laaaaaa The reflection gives a soft color glow with no details which is what I wanted. I am using my room mates computer to send this but can't use this computer for pictures. Just giving helpful info that was a very good price.
Old 2011-04-21, 4:16pm

Marie, why didn't I think of that! I'm a quilter and do scrapbooking and have a bunch of those papers. I will now use them to get different effects. Congratulations on your being so creative and smart!

Kathie

Old 2011-04-22, 9:04am
My Glass Dreams

Also Kathy I played around by putting a black blackground up behind the mirror and that gave me a gradient look from dark to light which I like alot and it also gave a slight for color to the soft reflection of the bead.
Old 2011-04-22, 9:59am

That works great too. I have a gradient sheet (from gray to black) that I did on my photoshop (from a tut) that I use all the time. Then I ordered some rubber stamps from an artist and she gave out (as a gift) two post card size gradients. One is white to black and the other which I like a lot, gradients from the center (light) to the ends (dark gray).
They do make a difference in your photography!

Kathie

Old 2014-06-29, 10:35am

I have just read this... ok several years late and many dollars short I too have been searching for frosted mirror acrylic... to no avail or at an extortionate price... But how I have a piece of A4 frosted acrylic winging its way to me care of the Bay... Thank you so much... this may be an oldy but its still a goody !