Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2013-09-05, 6:32pm

Default Torch Question!

I am upgrading from an Alpha torch to something larger but can not decide what. I have a Hurricane and an m15 to use.
I was looking at a Bravo for a while but am thinking I might need a larger flame too soon, I make 1-1.5" marbles and 19mm heavy tubing on the Alpha and want to do 2-3" marbles and tubing 35-45 and maybe 50mm. After looking at the Bravo for a few weeks I think I might just want a CC, then I was looking at the Black Widow... So the question now is CC, black widow, or Bravo?
Also, does anyone know the difference between the "High oxy" from the mini cc and the "artistic" center fire for the black widow? I have seen the mini cc but not the artistic center.
I would ideally want a phantom or mirage but can't find a used one and the wait time is just so long. Thanks for the help! Can't wait to get an outer fire going.

Last edited by SiGlass; 2013-09-05 at 6:38pm.
Old 2013-09-05, 10:41pm
kinda torching....

There is a bunch of GTT torches for sale right now in the garage sale and on talk glass.com, there's some deltas, phantoms cheetah and maybe a lynx
Old 2013-09-06, 5:52am
Now part of the Dark Side

Also the Bravo's big brother the Champion is due to release soon too. It is supposed to have a bigger flame than the PM2D which it replaces.
Old 2013-09-07, 6:06am

a bravo will not do 3" mibs....probably not even on tanked oxy.
and your oxycons have different psi outputs....you don't want to daisy chain/link up machines with differing psi's (lpm doesn't matter) because the machine with the higher psi will drown out the smaller machine.

if anything use the larger oxycon on the outerfire and the smaller one on the innerfire.... but basically you need more oxy to power a two stage torch. keep the hurricane for your innerfire and use tanked on the outer.
Old 2013-09-10, 7:07pm

ISA, what is the largest marble you can comfortably make with your redmax. Comfortably meaning not having muscle fatigue or sore wrists/shoulders when done or not having to work an excessively long time due to trying to heat a huge mass of glass.
Thanks
Old 2013-09-10, 7:31pm

Bravo is good up to 2.5 inches of boro. After that is struggles hard. I have been working on a gtt Mirage and find it beautiful. It will melt everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-09-12, 8:53pm

Thanks for the answer. Two inches is what I want to shoot for as a max for boro, soft glass for anything larger. Once I feel confident enough I would like to use the stump sucker for large marbles and paper weights.
Old 2013-09-15, 5:38am

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutWickenburgWay View Post
ISA, what is the largest marble you can comfortably make with your redmax. Comfortably meaning not having muscle fatigue or sore wrists/shoulders when done or not having to work an excessively long time due to trying to heat a huge mass of glass.
Thanks
i need to change my sig...i went back to the midrange. the redmax is an oxy pig and in order to get a really oxidizing flame you can about see your regulator/tank pressure go down your flowing so much oxy. i can do the same on the midrange as i can on the redmax but it takes an extra few minutes...although in the end less oxy used (ime).

biggest i've done on the redmax was just over two inches (took a couple hours all told) and biggest on the midrange was 1.96" and that took about 2.5 hours.

i'm currently looking for a two stage torch...phantom (want mirage, but not enough oxycons), ssq, cc, or maybe a bravo or cuda not sure yet. i'll probably end up with a red rocket as i always seem to find those cheap.
Old 2013-09-15, 7:27am

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
i need to change my sig...i went back to the midrange. the redmax is an oxy pig and in order to get a really oxidizing flame you can about see your regulator/tank pressure go down your flowing so much oxy. i can do the same on the midrange as i can on the redmax but it takes an extra few minutes...although in the end less oxy used (ime).

biggest i've done on the redmax was just over two inches (took a couple hours all told) and biggest on the midrange was 1.96" and that took about 2.5 hours.

i'm currently looking for a two stage torch...phantom (want mirage, but not enough oxycons), ssq, cc, or maybe a bravo or cuda not sure yet. i'll probably end up with a red rocket as i always seem to find those cheap.
The Red Rocket is also an oxy pig, I've got one. I use it for set dressing at shows now, I can drain a 125 cuft tank in a little under 4 hours if I open it up.
Old 2013-09-15, 2:11pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonharper View Post
The Red Rocket is also an oxy pig, I've got one. I use it for set dressing at shows now, I can drain a 125 cuft tank in a little under 4 hours if I open it up.

By these standards every torch can be considered an oxygen pig. This means just about nothing since its so dependent on the torch adjustment and what your doing at the time. I haved had a 330cf tank consumed by my mirage in as short as 10 hours or as long as 20 depending on the task at hand. Does that make it a super oxy pig?

Last edited by LarryC; 2013-09-15 at 2:14pm.
Old 2013-09-15, 2:16pm

Okay poor choice of words. When the outer fire is on, it needs to be on hard enough that the tubes do not glow red. At that point the O2 consumption is quite high.
Old 2013-09-15, 3:10pm

i guess with a two stage (probably won't get a cc....too small a centerfire) i'll have a foot pedal and mainly use the center...which should equate to better oxy mileage.
Old 2013-09-16, 11:09am

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
i guess with a two stage (probably won't get a cc....too small a centerfire) i'll have a foot pedal and mainly use the center...which should equate to better oxy mileage.
yes. I estimate my foot pedal setup saves me 15-20% off my oxy bill if I am doing large marbles. Anything else and I don't use the outer fire at all.