Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-09-04, 6:53am
Another band aid pleeeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTrout View Post
Some of the CiM's are extremely shocky, especially the newer reds and many of the turquoise colors. I used a red (Firecracker) last week and it shattered like crazy. I've always known I had to slowly introduce CiM rods to the flame but this was ridiculous. Although I love CiM and their colors, their rods can be very temperamental.
I'll bet that's why they named it "Firecracker"!
Old 2014-09-04, 7:14am

it may be a trend cause kryptonite has done the same thing an entire rod exploded

I can't deal with that much carnage
Old 2014-09-04, 7:26am
Who me?

I haven't torched or bought glass in almost two years, but I bitched about this when i was still torching. Sorry to see the quality go down with the prices going up, but glad to see I'm not the only one.

I did return some really bad opal yellow to Frantz back then. It had long bubbles running the length of the rods that could be seen in the ends. Opal yellow all over the room. They hand sorted and replaced it. Better, but hand culling and returns shouldn't be the norm for the price we pay.
Old 2014-09-04, 7:40am
Loving learning

I'm afraid to attribute to the wrong person, but someone I hold up as a very good glassworker mentioned heating it in a mostly propane flame at first to help with controlling the shockiness. I've tried it and it did work for me.
Old 2014-09-04, 8:49am

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbird View Post
it may be a trend cause kryptonite has done the same thing an entire rod exploded
I just bought my first CiM glass, and chose kryptonite because it was just so beautiful! Thanks for the warning!

I bought dark matter recently. There were two types of rods in the package- some with red in the center, some with green. I'm pretty new, so that was a surprise. One of them shattered the whole way up the rod, and the other was fine. I can't remember which was which, though!
Old 2014-09-04, 7:41pm
Catnip Pusher

I received a sample rod of dark matter and the entire rod turned into frit. It was very frustrating - I never got to really try out the glass!

Preheating works great for a small amount of a rod, but if you're using a bunch of it you just end up with it splitting once you get past the preheated part. I get VERY frustrated when the rod snaps and a chunk ends up sliding on my bead...

Aimee
Old 2014-09-05, 6:01am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
I'm afraid to attribute to the wrong person, but someone I hold up as a very good glassworker mentioned heating it in a mostly propane flame at first to help with controlling the shockiness. I've tried it and it did work for me.
I learned this from Smircich early on and it does work! Paula

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-09-05, 4:19pm

I don't feel so bad now. I was using red roof tile recently and I'm pretty sure that it was a good thing that my Grandson's weren't around with the words that were coming out of my mouth. I have had some problems with CIM peace too and some of the other CIM colors. Ha, I'll bet the boro boys got a bit jumpy with the 104...lol

Old 2014-09-05, 6:22pm
addicted to dichro

There was an awful batch of pea green a few years ago, and it seemed to last forever. Even though I finally got a batch that doesn't fall apart as soon as it's put in the torch flame every time I use pea green I flinch.

Old 2014-09-06, 1:07am
Naysayer

Exclamation

yeah it's not a matter of preheating, if it were only a problem at introducing the glass to flame only i would not have made this thread. I started in '04, my arms and chest have never looked like this until recently, maybe within the past year I'd say.

edit to add, usually even then, if it is just at the start, that would be great, but trying to do something like layered dots...say turquoise and coral. If I use turquoise to dot, pick up coral and use it, then turquoise again, it shouldn't be spitting all over again like a cold rod. Too many colors are like this, each intro it's spitting.

But as said, it's just not that, it's random pieces breaking off either onto the bead/table or towards/onto me or just totally unusable rods that pretty much violently explode either at the start or random as I stated in my first post.

Last edited by Ravenesque; 2014-09-06 at 1:15am.
Old 2014-09-06, 5:13am
Angie09

I've had the same experience as Ravenesque....I have scars all over my arms and hands. I get little pieces that break off and embed themselves into the palm of my left hand. Then it's a decision of how much it hurts as to whether I drop the mandrel and deal with it or just keep torching.

I also used to buy all the new and unique glasses .... but not any more. I've pretty much stopped buying new kinds of glass and have been entering the world of 96coe. The Reichenbach and Gaffer rods seem much more stable and the colors are gorgeous. It's a shame Effetre and CIM have taken to putting their "mistakes" for sale under new names or "unique". I don't even look at them any more.
Old 2014-09-06, 6:48am
They see me rollin'...

I'm sorry to hear that this is happening. I started wearing a leather apron a few years ago and it has saved my chest from having scars, at least. It was a cheapy $13 suede apron that I bought online from a welder's supply store, I think.

I just lately starting preheating a lot of my rods...it seemed like too much trouble a couple of years ago, but I'm getting pretty tired of rods exploding, too.

Makes me glad I have a lot of old glass. I'll still probably buy some new colors, but I haven't bought glass in a while anyway, due to budgetary restrains, shall we say. And I really don't NEED any more glass, except for some Reichenbach colors that I'm running low on.

I'll second and third the recommendation for Reichenbach and Gaffer! I've really been digging the Reichenbach lately, especially Iris Dark Brown, Multicolor Dark and Purple Rose. The glass is so nice to work with, too.

-Patti
Old 2014-09-06, 7:27am
Angie09

OK Patti....need pics of the Iris Brown please! Olympic is having a sale this month and I don't have that one.
Old 2014-09-06, 9:32am
Queen of the milo field

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyjw View Post
There was an awful batch of pea green a few years ago, and it seemed to last forever. Even though I finally got a batch that doesn't fall apart as soon as it's put in the torch flame every time I use pea green I flinch.
I sure am glad to hear that; have a bunch of old pea green that hasn't been used in a while. Got some 'newer' pea green during an exchange a bit back that I truly wanted to fling across the room And couldn't ever recall having that shocky problem w/it ever before. Thought I was doing something wrong. Too bad. As I recall it was one of the really stable colors to recommend for beginners w/the old stuff.

dj
Old 2014-09-06, 10:36am

Yikes I thought it was me! I prewarm on a hot plate and still have some vicious explosions that have scarred my arm. Also a lot more of that popping off of thin pieces off the sides of the rod.
Old 2014-09-06, 12:50pm
Angie09

Just got done torching and I have chunks of CIM Maraschino (and it ain't cheap), CIM Marshmellow (never had a problem before) but nothing from any of the 96 I used and Kugler. I never go away from a torch session with at least one burn from flying glass.
Old 2014-09-06, 2:24pm
The one, the only

I've been buying my glass directly from Effetre in Italy and the CiM glass from TuffnellGlass for the last 7 or so years and have not had any shocky glass problems at all. I live in France, so maybe the batches of glass sent to the USA is different? I don't see why it would be though.

-
-
-
Old 2014-09-07, 5:09am
Peerless Thread Killer

Maybe this thread should be moved to the Customer Service Kiosk. I'm really surprised that the major glass sellers haven't chimed in. I use a leather apron and pre-heat rods on a hot plate. It helps some, but there are still terribly shocky rods.

I also don't even bother to look at uniques or limited runs. Why love it when you most likely won't be able to get more?

Old 2014-09-07, 10:16am

I use a cookie sheet with shocky glass. I put it over my mess just under the torch and when the glass explodes I collect the pieces with the hot rod end. I also take two rods of shocky glass and melt them by touching so when one end is exploding the other rod touches it and sort of catches it... then I pull stringer and then make beads...
I hate taking this extra step! Glass quality has gone down hill! I collect all on the cookie sheet and pull stringer by touching the hot end to it to stick... so much extra work!!!!

I also stopped buying new glass since I am seeing lots of rods with long air bubbles running down the length of the rod.

I am also working more in boro since it cuts back on the arm burns... I am not a one to wave the rods in the flame and work slowly.... I just let the glass fly!

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2014-09-13, 11:17am
They see me rollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
OK Patti....need pics of the Iris Brown please! Olympic is having a sale this month and I don't have that one.
Sorry I didn't come back to this thread earlier!

Here is Iris Dark Brown (no, it doesn't look dark brown at all.) Kalera is the one who was using this glass and it was mentioned in her "ask me anything" thread.

-Patti
Old 2014-09-13, 3:49pm
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyjw View Post
That was one of the very first colors I ever used in my first class with Kate Fowle-Meleney, way back in 1997. Scared the stuffing outta me! Kate said "oh no, not again!" and told me to put it aside. I had a rod in my first order and set that one aside, too. I didn't order any more for at least 2 years, and when I finally got some it was just as bad!

I agree, it's the inconsistency of the whole thing that drives me nuts. I think I've had shattery batches of almost every color over the years. There was an especially vicious batch of ivory about 5 years ago. I ended up putting a tray under the torch to catch as many pieces as possible, then made stringer by picking up the pieces with a better-behaved rod and melting them in. Geez it was annoying!

Old 2014-09-30, 2:08pm

I agree with this whole thread! My last batch of black made holes while working with it, this latest batch though is back to normal, Crocus is total unusable even slowly warming up. Shatters like a bomb going off. Azure is so scummy is unusable. I know I've got other colors with problems too, these are just the ones off the top of my head.
I too have more burns up and down my arms and cleavage than ever before. I don't buy glass very often, only 2 or 3 small orders a year, so when I get glass that's unusable it's very frustrating.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2014-09-30, 3:41pm

I think Sarah Hornik was complaining about crocus too
Old 2014-10-01, 7:33am

If your glass is not useable you should be contacting the importer (Frantz) or the manufacturer (Kathy) and they should replace it for you or give you a credit. Why should glassmakers be stuck with bad products? You would ask for a refund anywhere else!

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2014-10-01, 9:20am

I bought some petal pink at the Bullseye sale. They had 2 kinds of rods. One was the normal petal pink and the other was much more opalescent. The opalescent one was so shocky it was unusable. I do plan to return it.
Old 2014-10-01, 11:57am
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanTheNumberImp View Post
What gets me is the money grab "odd lots".

They seriously need to stop dumping two random colors into the filligrana machine and slapping a massive price tag on the trash it spits out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dla View Post
Totally agree with this ^^^. Back to basics would be good when colors weren't washed out and the quality might justify the cost.
I've wondered if one or more of the glass sellers here in the states are saying to CIM and Effetre, etc. "go ahead and sell us your well-that-isn't-the-color-we-meant-to-make batches and we will put a cute name on it and call it LIMITED so everyone will want it"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
If your glass is not useable you should be contacting the importer (Frantz) or the manufacturer (Kathy) and they should replace it for you or give you a credit. Why should glassmakers be stuck with bad products? You would ask for a refund anywhere else!
I agree...but sending back glass seems like a bigger hassle than it's worth. I too bought that Opal Yellow with a hole down the center. I thought about calling and inquiring how to send it back but...meh...

I would like to know if ANYone has been able to use Honey Crunch (which pretty much is Ivory)??? I mean seriously...I sometimes have it exploding after being heated AND while I'm using it. So not only do hot shards go flying but there is a mass of molten glass flinging across the table!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2014-10-01, 2:47pm
Ready to hit the road

I LOVE Honey Crunch!!! I preheat it in my curling iron oven, just like everything else.

Earlier this year, I started having beads done on a black base crack in half (I have batches of black going back to Jodell, so which batch it was from, I don't know). Now I'm scared to use black as a base.

Old 2014-10-01, 3:58pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsymn View Post
I LOVE Honey Crunch!!! I preheat it in my curling iron oven, just like everything else.

Earlier this year, I started having beads done on a black base crack in half (I have batches of black going back to Jodell, so which batch it was from, I don't know). Now I'm scared to use black as a base.
At the mandrel? That would be thermal, not compatibility. Compatibility cracks aren't usually even, unless the crack is running along a line where 2 incompatible colors touch.

Old 2014-10-01, 9:38pm
Ready to hit the road

They crack in half after annealing, after I've cleaned them and put them in a bag. Compatability is the only thing I can think of, since it's only black based ones that do it.

Old 2014-10-02, 5:10am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Blaty View Post
I've wondered if one or more of the glass sellers here in the states are saying to CIM and Effetre, etc. "go ahead and sell us your well-that-isn't-the-color-we-meant-to-make batches and we will put a cute name on it and call it LIMITED so everyone will want it"?
Heheh - CiM designate their own batches as limited, and sometimes ask testers for name nominations.

|
|
|
|