Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2010-08-09, 12:31pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Default Frosted mirror background

Ok, after many emails to the tabletop studios guy and them NEVER having the frosted mirror background in stock, I finally got fed up and made my own. Here's how:

I went to TAP plastics and found that they, sadly, do not carry frosted mirror. Poop. BUT, they do have mirror AND they also have frosted so I bought one sheet of acrylic mirror (I had them cut mine to 12" x 15" but it is a little too wide to put inside my little photo tent so if you have the same tabletopstudios photo tent, do yourself a favor and get it cut 11 inches instead!) and another sheet, same size, of frosted acrylic. Put the frosted acrylic on top of the mirror and PRESTO! You have this:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*f

Old 2010-08-09, 12:34pm
Flaming Redhead!

Brilliant! You're so smart!

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2010-08-09, 1:08pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Thank you Alex! I'm not so much smart as obsessive. LOL!

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2010-08-09, 1:32pm
Flaming Redhead!

Hey...smart, obsessive...whatever works!

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2010-08-09, 3:03pm
MacGalver

Got to love that outside-the-box thinking! Lori ~ it looks great!

Jo

Old 2010-08-09, 3:51pm
Master Procrastinator

Great idea Lori! did you get the matte or non glare?

Old 2010-08-09, 4:24pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

On my receipt it says P.95 and when I cross-reference that against the www.tapplastics.com site, they refer to that as Matte finish.

*f

Old 2010-08-09, 4:32pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Me likey! What a great photo background and WTG figuring out what you needed to do to get the effect.

Old 2010-08-09, 4:39pm
birdergirl ~o~

Cool~ thanks for posting!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2010-08-09, 5:24pm
Master Procrastinator

Great! Thanks so much Lori!

Old 2010-08-10, 5:38am

Thank you!!!!!!! Lori for sharing. I was wondering how that was done. I'm still learning the photo stuff. You help alot on that idea.
Thanks again,
Janet
Old 2010-08-16, 6:56pm

Lori I couldn't find it on their website. Could you post an item number and did they mind cutting you such a small piece?
Great picture btw. I've been trying to figure out this same thing.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2010-08-16, 7:34pm
Certified Thread Killer

Well DANG! That's the easy way. Leave it to me to find the hard way…I sprayed my mirror with matte clear spray paint

Only problem is, the spray paint doesn't stick if you have to wash the mirror.

The next thing to try is to actually etch the mirror (small mirror, less than two bucks) to see what will happen.

But frosted acrylic on the mirror…how brilliant is that? Wow!
Old 2010-08-17, 12:06pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna T. View Post
Lori I couldn't find it on their website. Could you post an item number and did they mind cutting you such a small piece?
Great picture btw. I've been trying to figure out this same thing.
Here's the frosted acrylic:
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=513&

and here is the mirror (although in hindsight it would be much cheaper to just go down and get a regular glass mirror from Target or something.)

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=521&

These are both listed in the "cut to size" category.

*f

Old 2010-08-17, 7:03pm

thanks Lori!

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2010-08-21, 11:14am
Glassy Broad :-)

I just painted some etch cream on the top of a round mirror, and an old one at that
You be the judge? I think it's working well, AND I can keep it handy for those late night (in chat) show-me-what-you-did-todays And really, it doesn't scratch easily, which is grand because I'm not a gentle person
HUGS
Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2010-08-21, 8:03pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I did something like this similar last December. The only problem I had was finding frosted acrylic locally, but I didn't look too hard. I bought regular acrylic at Home Depot and went to Michaels and bought a matte finish spray to spray the acrylic with and put a mirror underneath. It looked like yours Lori, but I went ahead and order the frosted mirror riser for Tabletop studios anyway.

Ebay:
Old 2010-08-22, 9:29am

Thanks Lori, for the info...when visiting California a few years ago, TAP plastics was one of my stops...love their stores!!!! Just got done ordering mine.

Kathie

Kathie

Old 2010-09-14, 10:23am
Am I there yet ?

Can I ask what thickness you ordered? They have 1/8 and 3/16. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribeads View Post
Ok, after many emails to the tabletop studios guy and them NEVER having the frosted mirror background in stock, I finally got fed up and made my own. Here's how:

I went to TAP plastics and found that they, sadly, do not carry frosted mirror. Poop. BUT, they do have mirror AND they also have frosted so I bought one sheet of acrylic mirror (I had them cut mine to 12" x 15" but it is a little too wide to put inside my little photo tent so if you have the same tabletopstudios photo tent, do yourself a favor and get it cut 11 inches instead!) and another sheet, same size, of frosted acrylic. Put the frosted acrylic on top of the mirror and PRESTO! You have this:

Old 2010-09-14, 6:37pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I would get the thinnest one they have in the frosted. I got a thick one and it doesn't show the mirror effect enough for my tastes.

*f

Old 2010-09-14, 7:00pm
Am I there yet ?

Thanks Lori-that is what I was thinking to-I didnt want to waste the effect on to thick of acrylic.
Old 2010-09-14, 7:05pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Hi, Lori, I should have listened to you the first time!! I wrote an email to the tabletop guys, got a very nice email back that they would be in "next week"....that was right after your first post...I have emailed twice more and haven't heard a word!!!
I think I will try Nita's trick...thanks to all for the info...pat
Old 2010-09-16, 6:33am
Powers Art Studio

Looks awesome!

Old 2010-09-17, 12:04pm
Certified Thread Killer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitadee View Post
I just painted some etch cream on the top of a round mirror, and an old one at that
You be the judge? I think it's working well, AND I can keep it handy for those late night (in chat) show-me-what-you-did-todays And really, it doesn't scratch easily, which is grand because I'm not a gentle person
HUGS
Nita
I painted Armor Etch cream on a flat round mirror (local craft store $1.50) and as I suspected, it was streaky. Not only was it streaky, I pained from the center out so it was more sunburst-y.

I wasn't out that much money on the mirror, so WTH, it was ugly but since the surface was now sufficiently "roughed up" from the etch I sprayed it with a very light coat of matte clear spray paint. It came out perfect! The sunburst lines were gone and the matte surface was much smoother than when I just used matte clear spray paint alone.

I can't wait to take new pics on it!
Old 2010-09-22, 7:12pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleCatJewels View Post
I painted Armor Etch cream on a flat round mirror (local craft store $1.50) and as I suspected, it was streaky. Not only was it streaky, I pained from the center out so it was more sunburst-y.

I wasn't out that much money on the mirror, so WTH, it was ugly but since the surface was now sufficiently "roughed up" from the etch I sprayed it with a very light coat of matte clear spray paint. It came out perfect! The sunburst lines were gone and the matte surface was much smoother than when I just used matte clear spray paint alone.

I can't wait to take new pics on it!
That's a great way to get to the end result! Fantastic!!!

*f

Old 2011-01-12, 11:49pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

I am resurrecting this thread. Are most of you taking pictures from above the beads?
I can't seem to get a good shot from the side of my tent using the frosted bottom.
HELP!!! Thanks.
Old 2011-01-13, 6:23am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

They're in stock now at TableTop Studio.......

http://store.tabletopstudio-store.com/smsifrreri.html

Vivian

-

Old 2011-01-13, 7:39am
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Thanks, Vivian...That is where I got mine. They finally let me know they were in about a month or so ago. My problem now is how to use it with my light tent!! My camera is on a tripod and I use the side window of the tent. Can't seem to get the pix right.
Old 2011-01-13, 11:27am

Can you show a picture of what you are getting? That might help in offering advice on what to do different.

Mike
Old 2011-01-13, 12:54pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Thanks so much, Mike. I will take some more later today.