No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-02-04, 4:47pm
Unmedicated since '62

Default dragonfly wings

i want to make dragonflys - i'm fine with the bodies but i cant seem to work out how to make the wings (talking sculptural here)

can someone point me towards some tips or tutorials?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-02-04, 5:53pm
Mad about Glass

Kerri Fuhr had a great tutorial. I hope it is still available.

[url]

Old 2011-02-04, 6:11pm
Loving learning

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ragonfly+wings

Look at these, she does explain a little how she makes them, but not a tutorial.
Old 2011-02-04, 6:17pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekkie View Post
Kerri Fuhr had a great tutorial. I hope it is still available.
i've seen that, but i'm looking for sculptural wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ragonfly+wings

Look at these, she does explain a little how she makes them, but not a tutorial.
that is perfect! if only she had a tut, oh well, its a clue so now i have to go figure it out

Old 2011-02-04, 7:14pm
Karen James

Something like this Deb,
http://www.marshglass.com/tutorials/...gonflytut.html

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2011-02-04, 10:48pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJJames View Post
thank you!!

Old 2011-02-27, 6:26pm
Loving learning

Which type glass is that? I love your dragonfly!
Old 2011-02-27, 6:36pm
geekitude on two wheels

onekura- great dragon fly! I'd love to hear an explanation of how you did the wings
Old 2011-02-27, 6:41pm
critter creator

Deb,

The type of tool Barb used for those pendants in the linked page above is called: "lineman's pliers" I don't know about in Oz, but here in the US you can get them in just about any hardware store for about $30. They're like regular pliers, but a little more beefed-up, and more importantly they have that waffle pattern.

Making wings like those in her link is VERY simple, although it takes a LOT of practice for the right heat control. You basically make a gather, smash it with the pliers, reheat if necessary and pull out. Here is the result:

Hope this helps!

Wes.

Old 2011-02-27, 9:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast Master View Post
Deb,

The type of tool Barb used for those pendants in the linked page above is called: "lineman's pliers" I don't know about in Oz, but here in the US you can get them in just about any hardware store for about $30. They're like regular pliers, but a little more beefed-up, and more importantly they have that waffle pattern.

Making wings like those in her link is VERY simple, although it takes a LOT of practice for the right heat control. You basically make a gather, smash it with the pliers, reheat if necessary and pull out. Here is the result:

Hope this helps!

Wes.
I got to see Wes make one in person. Next time Wes is in Maine, I hope to be in his class! What a talent.

I also ... um... er... Italian gent... uh, crud- should not try to type this late at night... (I have a thread on it.. brb)
Vittorri Constantini! Yes, knew I'd find the thread. He was at Louie Erskine's studio in Mass. What a great day that was.

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...ht=Constantini

I am spoiled.

Sue
and the present is a gift.

Last edited by Sue in Maine; 2011-02-27 at 9:32pm.
Old 2011-02-27, 10:00pm
Ad astra per aspera

Both of these dragonfly examples are stunning!

Old 2011-02-28, 2:16am
He can do the origami

Wes, I saw this thread and was going to link to post a link to your work. Thanks for posting in here, thanks for always being willing to share and help the glass community so much.
Old 2011-03-01, 7:51pm
I fart diamonds

You can get Lineman's Pliers at Harbor Freight for less than $10. They have several sizes. I paid $5.99 for mine.

Old 2011-03-01, 9:55pm
Sucks at being nice

Those dragonflies are amazing! I love the different interpretations of the wings. I never would have thought of fuming or lineman pliers. Now I'll be wandering around looking at all of my pliers to see what patterns I can get out of them. lol

I am in the development process for dragonfly murrini and still haven't quite figured out where I am going with the wings. Seeing the sculptural ones and how they were done has helped my thought process on where I am going with my mess. Thanks!

Old 2011-03-02, 3:57am
Unmedicated since '62

Wes and Onekura - both are perfect, thank you so much for explaining, i have a whole bunch of wingless bodies that i will now try to add wings to

Old 2011-03-02, 7:34am
critter creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinwelch View Post
I am in the development process for dragonfly murrini and still haven't quite figured out where I am going with the wings. Seeing the sculptural ones and how they were done has helped my thought process on where I am going with my mess. Thanks!
Jody,

You might consider using some mostly-clear twisty cane, with perhaps some dense black twisted in to give a wispy quality to the wings. Just a thought...
Old 2011-03-02, 7:55pm
Sucks at being nice

Thanks for the idea Wes! I have something partially done and if it bombs I will try your idea.

Old 2011-03-04, 6:48pm
Unmedicated since '62

oh pretty!

Old 2011-03-05, 11:11am
Rare Florida Native

I love dragonflies and the ones in this thread are beautiful. Thanks for the tips on making the wings.

Old 2011-03-08, 10:16pm
addicted to the flame

Thanks for that, Wes. I tend to pull mine out more, to stretch the diamond pattern, and sometimes add more texture with needle nosed pliers before pulling. I posted a pic a couple of years ago, but will try to do again, so you don't have to go searching. Give me few minutes, I'll look for them.
Hugs, Barb

UPDATE - oops, Wes, I just noticed the words LINKED PAGE, so I guess you guys already found the pics. Duh. Sorry. Posted them again.

Last edited by AlaskaBarb; 2011-03-08 at 10:55pm.
Old 2011-03-08, 10:30pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

All of the dragonflies in this thread are just gorgeous, what lovely eye candy!

Old 2011-03-08, 10:43pm
addicted to the flame

Default dragonfly and fairy wings

Okay, found two pics, of a necklace I made, called "Twiglet Fernbottom's Pressed Fairy Necklace. Still looking for the tool photo.

Basically, you grab a blob of glass and squish with the tool, which makes a diamond pattern. Then, stretch and shape the wing. Dragonflies have two sets of wings, the top set different than the bottom. Damselflies rest holding their wings together, up over their abdomens, while dragonflies' wings are horizontal to the body, like airplane wings.
Attached Images

Old 2011-03-08, 10:51pm
addicted to the flame

Default dragonfly mashers

This is the tool I use for wings. It's for working with rebar, and has a small diamond pattern. There are two pattern sizes. Go with the smaller one.
Attached Images

Old 2011-03-09, 6:50am
Karen James

Barbara, as always your work is gorgeous and your sharing is generous! Thank you!

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2011-03-10, 1:45pm
addicted to the flame

No problem! Hope the info is helpful. By the way, I noticed Klein was also selling fisherman pliers or something next to the rebar model. Same pattern, half as big, but tool is also half the price (mid 20.00s).
Old 2014-04-25, 5:35am
Unmedicated since '62

Revisiting this thread because now i can make wings yay!

Now im just struggling to stick them to the bodies

Old 2014-04-25, 7:18am
Wonder-wench

It helps to make little clear "bits" or raised dots of glass on the body where the wings will attach. Make the bits at the time of body construction. Later, you can heat up just the bit with a pinpoint flame at the same time heating the body side of the wing, join together.

Old 2014-04-25, 8:14am
I speak Murrini!

Loving this thread! And what wonderful help and tips everyone! I am so missing my torch right now...but I DO have a Harbor Freight coupon! I just may have to go use it!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2014-04-25, 10:07am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmorphousDesigns View Post
It helps to make little clear "bits" or raised dots of glass on the body where the wings will attach. Make the bits at the time of body construction. Later, you can heat up just the bit with a pinpoint flame at the same time heating the body side of the wing, join together.
Thanks, cool tip! Hopefully I'll remember this if I ever do some two part sculpture stuff.

-> I'm Chuck, I like Glass Dots
mini cc - natural gas - oxycon - 104 coe
Old 2014-04-26, 12:48am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmorphousDesigns View Post
I did that but they popped off in the kiln