Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-06-06, 4:47am

Default Plunged florals

No, I'm NOT giving up.... I think I'm getting better at them.

While I go for my final shaping I'm still smashing some of the flowers. Here's how I'm doing everything:

Make base bead
Lay down dots
melt dots in
place dots of clear over previous dots
Melt in (not 100%)
place smaller dots on top of first dots, if desired
gently heat
PLUNGE
Cover plunge
encase

Maybe I'm not encasing enough before I shape?

***DISCLAIMER***
No this is NOT a tutorial, nor am I intending to directly copy any other plunged floral tutorial that exists.

Duane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-06-06, 5:58am
Pugs rule

I just plunge and encase, I never cover the plunge first..it seems to distort it more if I do that.

Old 2013-06-06, 6:21am

Quote:
Originally Posted by designsbykurato View Post
I just plunge and encase, I never cover the plunge first..it seems to distort it more if I do that.
Thanks, Kathie! Yes, that makes more sense! The plunge still gets covered with the encasement.

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2013-06-06, 6:58am

Make base bead.

Lay down white for first layer of dots and melt in.

Lay down a transparent color over white dots and melt in. When a skin has formed, gently press the dots into the base bead. Make sure the bead it cool enough as to not smear the dot but warm enough that they will sink into the bead.

Repeat for desired amount of petals.

Heat up the whole bead evenly and again wait for a skin to form. Plunge all of the
flowers at once.

Encase in clear.

Heating the whole bead up and plunging after a skin has formed, will give the petals a very curved three dimensional shape. So will the sinking of the petals while constructing it.

Anyways, that's how I do it. Here is an example.

***DISCLAIMER*** Anyone can copy this

Last edited by glassactcc; 2013-06-06 at 7:02am.
Old 2013-06-06, 8:11am

Thanks Cynthia! While I do like my florals, I'm going to try making them with your technique and see how they look.

Scorpion with 2 Regalia's on NG
Old 2013-06-06, 8:38am

Great Patti. I would love to see yours florals.

Old 2013-06-06, 10:26am

I just read Cynthia's explanation. Guess I'll be attempting plunged/encased flower petals....

-> I'm Chuck, I like Glass Dots
mini cc - natural gas - oxycon - 104 coe
Old 2013-06-06, 7:51pm
Dynamic Duo

Cynthia -

Used to get great 3 dimensional blooms on HH, and it now eludes me on a minor- so questions.

What do you mean by "when a skin forms"

When you say melt in, is this melting in the dot so that it is completely flat/flush with the bead surface. Or is there still an obvious 'hump' where the dot of transparent was applied that you are pressing into the bead?

Hey, thanks already fro your response!

Old 2013-06-06, 9:45pm

Wow, that's beautiful! I'm going to have to try that, thanks!

(under construction...)
Old 2013-06-06, 10:24pm
Naysayer

Cynthia you do not have clear in between the petals?
I've always been so horrible at these.
Old 2013-06-07, 4:27am

Well, I learned from Corina Tettinger about 100 years ago and have modified slightly over the years.

I lay down base bead
stringer that is rolled in to the base bead (so it doesn't spread too much)
clear layer
5 dots in a circle (sometimes white, sometimes other opaques)
transparent on top of dots (melt down to slight mound)
Sometimes I put an eentsy teensy dot of either clear or a very light transparrent next
The above step makes the petals look like they are darker around the edges
Repeat
Heat each flower one at a time, plunge
Encase

Last edited by missp_32; 2013-06-07 at 4:30am.
Old 2013-06-07, 6:41am

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaming_fools View Post
Cynthia -

Used to get great 3 dimensional blooms on HH, and it now eludes me on a minor- so questions.

What do you mean by "when a skin forms"

When you say melt in, is this melting in the dot so that it is completely flat/flush with the bead surface. Or is there still an obvious 'hump' where the dot of transparent was applied that you are pressing into the bead?

Hey, thanks already fro your response!
A skin means that the outer layer of glass has hardened and it is not moving or soft. If you heat each flower individually and then plunge it, you are merely putting a hole in the flower. If you wait for the surface to "dry", the poke will pull the petals in with it. Does that make sense?

The first dot of white I melt in but I do not marver flat. So, there is still a bit of a rise on it. So yes, there is a bit of a hump. Not a raised dot but a slight hump. Same with the second dot of transparent.

Next time your in Santa Rosa, come by and I'll show you

Last edited by glassactcc; 2013-06-07 at 6:45am.
Old 2013-06-07, 6:44am

No, I don't use clear. I replace the clear with a transparent color of the color you want the flower to be. For me, I think the colors are richer with the white and then the trans color.

You could use a colored base and use clear though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenesque View Post
Cynthia you do not have clear in between the petals?
I've always been so horrible at these.

Old 2013-06-07, 6:45am

Those are so pretty Patti.

Old 2013-06-07, 7:25am

Cynthia - your florals are gorgeous!! Are you using filigrana as your vine, or encased stringer?

"***DISCLAIMER*** Anyone can copy this"
Oh, how I wish!!!

Old 2013-06-07, 8:08am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
A skin means that the outer layer of glass has hardened and it is not moving or soft. If you heat each flower individually and then plunge it, you are merely putting a hole in the flower. If you wait for the surface to "dry", the poke will pull the petals in with it. Does that make sense?
I think it is Corina who analogizes this to diving into a swimming pool. If you dive cleanly into the water, you barely disturb the surface. If there was a tarp floating on the pool when you dived in (please don't try this at home), you'd drag a lot of the surface in.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-06-07, 8:27am

Yes Vicki, that is white cored filigrana pulled into a stringer.

That is a really good explanation Elizabeth. Exactly like a tarp on water.

Old 2013-06-07, 10:39am

Thanks to all for the great instructions and explanations.
Old 2013-06-07, 11:11am
KitseyBelle

Cnythia has a great tutorial that helped my flowers and encasing a lot.
Old 2013-06-07, 12:08pm

uhm, can I leave work yet so I can try this?

Old 2013-06-08, 10:33am
Dynamic Duo

CYNTHIA - THANKS for the further explanations you gave!!!! Can't wait to try your techniques for this.

YEP, someday would love to get up there and watch you play! Used to head up that direction almost every weekend, but it has been over a year now! Getting too settled down here!

Neena - we were posting about the same time. YES, think you really have it!

Old 2013-06-08, 10:33am

I'm so close to being able to make a decent floral that I can taste it! This thread has helped a lot! This is probably the best I've done, and Cynthia's method of heating to a glow and plunging all at once really made a difference in how my flowers are looking.