LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-01-04, 4:15am

Default CG Disc Beadroller

I purchased two disc beadrollers (one small, one large) months ago but have had trouble using them. I've watched Donna's video tutorial and she makes it look so easy. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 2014-01-04, 6:26am

Hi,
Try making the bead a smaller donut then put it into the roller. Put it in carefully because if you have the glass pretty hot and soupy it can cause the glass to move to parts of the mandrel you don't want. Also, once you keep adding glass to the edge and melt in and marver in the roller you will want to fire polish it and marver again.
I think what is best to remember is bead rollers are marvers and not presses. They need a gentler touch and repeated marver tweaks as you make it.

Not sure if this makes sense but don't give up. You will all of a sudden figure it out. Then you'll be wanting more of these great tools!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-01-04, 6:51am

oh thanks, did not know to pre heat the bead roller
Old 2014-01-04, 6:51am

and you tell me where to find Donnas videos with her rollers? thanks
Old 2014-01-04, 7:28am
Glass-aholic

You don't have to pre heat the bead roller. You probably want to try and keep it cool, as if it gets really hot the glass can stick and break. I find with bead rollers if you go to the next size up and use it to marver into shape you can refine it in the actual size without pulling on it too much or creating ridges. I'm pretty new to bead rollers, but it only took maybe 10 beads to be comfortable with it, in two secessions (had to make sure it sunk in and I remembered! lol). More than a press, it really helps to actually be In almost the shape you are going for then just refine with the roller. Once you get the hang of it you will want more more more!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-01-05, 1:32am
Artistically Absorbed

I would guess you are working too hot. Your base should be mostly formed, using the roller to gently define the shape of the surface. Then you can add or subtract glass until you are happy with it. Also I think using bigger mandrels, like 3/32 and not 1/16th helps to me but I tend to be heavy handed.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2014-01-05, 6:08am

Thank you to everyone for your help.
Old 2014-01-05, 12:01pm
Burn baby, burn

I found my two issues were the size of my footprint, and working by pressing/rolling against the front of the cavity, not hard enough to shape, going faster, twirling, neat repeat. And doing 20 in a row helped too.
Old 2014-01-05, 4:27pm
Slogan Challenged...

^^^^ this. Also ditto on using the larger cavity for initial shaping to minimize the ridges. I do think those might be the harder ones to start with since the base has to be so narrow it can be a little unforgiving, but with a little practice, things should click for you anyway

Facebook:

Etsy: