Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-08-05, 2:24pm
Boro Brat

Question Boro on a Concentrator??

I've spent the last couple hours playing with boro on Rhonda's minor, which is hooled up to one concentrator. I made some cool little things...little trees and Pipyr-style pendants and stuff. Would there be interest in a tut specifically geared to making cool little boro things on a concentrator?? I could also include info about using the atmosphere of this kind of set-up to get cool color effects and such.

I know a lot of people are on this kind of set-up...what I need to know now is if any of you guys want a tut that gets you going with boro?? Of course, the stuff could be made on any torch, but the focus would be on the size of pieces that could be made on a low-oxy set-up.

Would anyone be up for that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-08-05, 3:09pm
Superkitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipyr View Post
I know a lot of people are on this kind of set-up...what I need to know now is if any of you guys want a tut that gets you going with boro?? Of course, the stuff could be made on any torch, but the focus would be on the size of pieces that could be made on a low-oxy set-up.

Would anyone be up for that?
Absolutely!
Old 2008-08-05, 3:11pm
Sheila

Oh yes! I would really like to know which colors I can strike and which won't work so well, even if it's just general information.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-08-05, 3:16pm

Me too, I'm interested!

Barb
Old 2008-08-05, 3:19pm

This is perfect timing for me! I would love a beginner's type tut for the experienced soft glassworker making the step to boro! I just upgraded and made my first boro purchases! I can't wait!
Old 2008-08-05, 3:22pm

Count me in ! I still have to go and buy my supply of Boro in a couple of weeks. And I want to make sure I get what I like and also what will work best with one concentrator .... so haven't had a chance to try your tut yet, but sure enjoyed reading thru it !!! lots of great stuff ! Thanks Pipyr
~~

Old 2008-08-05, 3:47pm
Boro Brat

Alrighty then! I'll probably start working on it tonight and gets pics tomorrow This will be a fun one!

Old 2008-08-05, 6:48pm

Pipyr, Perfect timing. I will take my first boro class at BeadFest in Philly this month with Chad Trent. I have two oxygen concentators set up in line with a "Y". Thanks so much for your help.
Mimi
P.S. It was great to meet you at Ed and Virginia's and see your dynamite work!
Old 2008-08-05, 7:31pm
Heart Of Glass Beads

OMG YES!

I have a mini cc and an Unlimited Oxygen M15. I can melt boro, but need to know how to strike it and what will and won't strike!

Thank you so much, Pipyr!

Shine-On Glow In The Dark Glass available in 104, 96, 90 COE. PM for Details
Old 2008-08-06, 8:30am
Boro Brat

The things I ended up making last night turned out really fun, so I'm excited about this one! It's rainy here today but I think we're still going to get pics, even without the sun. I'm too excited to put this one on hold!!

Old 2008-08-06, 9:13am
Addicted to Frit!!!

You bettcha Pipyr!! I think there are quite a few of us on smaller torches trying to do boro. I can melt boro fairly well with my setup, but would love to know how to strike it and some more color combos's, if that's possible, in your next tut!

Thanks so much,
Robin

Premium Frit Blends
Check us out on

Last edited by rkoza; 2008-08-08 at 6:59am.
Old 2008-08-06, 10:04am
Gimme that silver glass!

I think it's a great idea to make a tut about how to make boro sing on a "small" torch, such as a minor or mini cc .

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2008-08-06, 10:27am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Ditto here doll.
I'm still on my minor and one oxy concentrator.
I LOVE my setup, might upgrade in the future,
but not now.

I'd love to see info about what colors work well
with each other (and lots of pictures!).

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-08-06, 12:34pm
Boro Brat

Darn...it's so dark today that pics will have to wait until tomorrow. I still plan to have it up by the end of the week, though!! I'm going to work on myre text and example pieces this evening I love doing the little stuff...it's so darn cute!!

Old 2008-08-06, 12:45pm

cool idea.
btw i love your creature tutorial.

Old 2008-08-06, 1:02pm

ooh yes... I work on a bobcat with one oxycon, I love to make small things but it would be handy to know if theres some colours that are just never gonna strike, and some I have just been doing wrong!
I had access to a midrange on tanked for a while, but can't get back to it til mid september.

thanks!

Madeline

Old 2008-08-06, 10:57pm
Ghost Town Glass

Yes, please! A great idea. DH is wanting to get started and a generator is off in the future...

Old 2008-08-06, 11:28pm
Living out Loud

Hi, I would love that I have a mini cc and an M15 concentrator. I have tons of boro, Momkas and GA and I don't want to ruin it. Thanks so much for the tutorial. I really need the help.
Old 2008-08-07, 3:41am
mealerbeadz

Pipyr, I would also love to have a tutorial of this sort. Also, I'd love it if some one could (you?) could suggest some substitutions using GA boro...I bought all the colors suggested on Doug Remschnider's (?) video tutorial and hate to purchase more unless I have to. BTW, the tutorial is great!

Allen
Birmingham, AL
Old 2008-08-07, 4:15am

Yay Pipyr! Looking forward to the new tut - the Creature one is great!

Sals
Old 2008-08-07, 9:09am
Flame Dame

Definitely interested. I'd love to see the color reactions (I work with 2 concentrators) and would really love to know what temps to strike with to get certain colors.

Leah

Etsy ID: leahbeads
Old 2008-08-07, 11:05am
Boro Brat

OK...I was playing around more this morning and am hoping to get pictures later today. It's really about how you work the glass and that's what I'm going to show I'll talk about specific colors of course, but the real trick is in working it properly, especially when you are on concentrators. Hopefully this tutorial will de-mystify a lot for people just delving into the world of boro, especially if they are using low-volume concentrators

Old 2008-08-08, 7:01am
Addicted to Frit!!!

It sounds fantastic, I can't wait!!

Premium Frit Blends
Check us out on

Old 2008-08-08, 9:13am
Boro Brat

We got all the pics done last night for this...they look great!! We even filtered out the sodium flare so you can very clearly see what I am doing in the flame, while I'm doing it rather than me having to come out of the flame for a clear picture. I'm editing them now, but thought I'd take a quick break to run in here and tell ya all!! I really like making these tutorials!! Back to work for me...

Old 2008-08-08, 9:28am
Gimme that silver glass!

Awesome pipyr!

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2008-08-08, 9:42am
Dangerous Woman

I can't wait! I made two creatures yesterday - I'll post pictures later. But working with boro yesterday reminded me of how much I LOVE boro. And how slow it melts on my torch. Gotta save up my pennies and get bigger concentrators so I can hook up my Cheetah.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-08-08, 3:28pm
Lover of all things color

Adding my name to the waiting list....pleassssse.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-08-08, 4:15pm
Dangerous Woman

Hey no butting in line!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-08-08, 4:25pm
Lover of all things color

Ha, bet me......LOL

I have one 5lpm, you think yours melts slow.....I will still be melting mine when you get your tutorial.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-08-08, 5:26pm
birdergirl ~o~

Pipyr,
i just upgraded to a mini cc and 15lpm concentrator, i had thought I was going to be immune to the darkside, but now with you writing a tut!!
ArrowSprings has a closeout boro sale 18 rods for $4.95!!!
I just ordered!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~