LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2010-11-15, 6:43am
Jacqueline Parkes

Default Let's Have a Positive Tutorial Thread

Hey guys, with all the fuss around tutorials these days I thought I would start a thread giving kudos to all the talented lampworkers who write tutorials. I enjoy them immensely.

Also, do you have a favorite lampworker or a few who you wish would write tutorials? I sure do!

My list:

Astrid Riedel, please write a tutorial on your pleated beads. I will never be able to attend a class but I would love to learn from you. When I have seen others who have attend your class post their new beads, I am pea green with envy!

Lisa Fletcher, you know I love your beads, please write a tutorial!

Calypsos Beads, I admire your detailed beads and would love to learn from you.

What is your wish list? And please keep this thread positive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-11-15, 7:09am

Anything from Kalera or Anastasia. I'm sure there are more, but those are the first two I can think of. What a great thread to start Jacqueline!
Old 2010-11-15, 7:24am

Absolutely ANYTHING that Astrid Reidel would share! I love all of her beads!! Please, please, please........

Old 2010-11-15, 7:28am
Jacqueline Parkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgaglass View Post
Absolutely ANYTHING that Astrid Reidel would share! I love all of her beads!! Please, please, please........
Hehe, yupp I believe begging is in order!

Old 2010-11-15, 8:00am
Wyoming Silvers

Ditto to alll of the above

Lovin my Lynx with M20
Old 2010-11-15, 8:09am

Just the other day I was bugging Lea Zinke about her Hydrangea bead. I sent demands, and threats, and all kinds of things

Old 2010-11-15, 8:18am

This is an excellent thread! I am so thankful for the authors of tutorials. I have been to classes and enjoyed them and learned a great deal. However, I also really like tutorials because they are written and photographed and I can work at my own pace using them. I feel they are a great value and I have purchased many of them.

My favorite paid tutorial is the Island Waves tutorial by Sorta Flowering Designs. I learned how to make a lovely waves bead from this tutorial. How to create a seafoam effect with my waves.

My all time favorite freebie & I'm so thankful she shared the information is Mary Moth's How to make a complex creased petal tutorial. I can make a decent looking floral because of the information I learned in this tutorial.

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...petal+tutorial

Here is my wish list: I would dearly love for Lavender Creek, Teresa Laliberte to make a tutorial on her kneeling godesses or houptdavid for his goddess vessels. Or Brad Pearson's dots which I seem to recall that he in the process of making one and I'll be a happy customer when it is ready CarrieB
Old 2010-11-15, 8:24am
Jacqueline Parkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
Just the other day I was bugging Lea Zinke about her Hydrangea bead. I sent demands, and threats, and all kinds of things
Haha I love it! I stalk Lisa F's beads and annoy her on a regular basis via pms

Old 2010-11-15, 10:24am
MacGalver

Glad to see a positive thread on tutorials! This might be a good place to announce that I'm working on the third "how to make your own" tutorial... this one is on how to make your own bead liner for under $20. Yep, that's what I said. BEADLINER, $20. Hoping to have it available mid-December, but it may be a little longer due to the Holidays.. ever notice how they creep in and take over our lives? LOL.
Thaks again, Gems, for starting this lovely thread on a cloudy Monday morning, it is much appreciated!

Jo

Last edited by Frit Diva; 2010-11-15 at 10:35am.
Old 2010-11-15, 10:43am

Jeannie of DesertSky - I love her Shipwreck Beads (from Sherry Bellamy's tutorial) - I would love for her to write a tutorial on her implosions, they are awesome.

Flaming Fools, love that Mrs. Harris bead - it is outstanding

Anouk - we need another tutorial for the beautiful focal on S&T October 26th. I've seen this same bead on several galleries, so any would do...not just Fire Lotus. I have all of your tutorials to date and there is an empty space on my hard drive for this tutorial too.

I second Astrid, would love to see that pink bead on S&T October 25th and today's picasso bead (ok, I've named it)...well, anything would be great

I also want to thank the many artists that have taken the time to create tutorials, they are greatly appreciated.
Old 2010-11-15, 11:29am
Jacqueline Parkes

What is a bead liner and do I need then? hehe . I am glad you are enjoying this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrlartist View Post
Glad to see a positive thread on tutorials! This might be a good place to announce that I'm working on the third "how to make your own" tutorial... this one is on how to make your own bead liner for under $20. Yep, that's what I said. BEADLINER, $20. Hoping to have it available mid-December, but it may be a little longer due to the Holidays.. ever notice how they creep in and take over our lives? LOL.
Thaks again, Gems, for starting this lovely thread on a cloudy Monday morning, it is much appreciated!

Jo

Old 2010-11-15, 11:31am
Jacqueline Parkes

I would like to add Naos to the list. Come on , bring us an organic tutorial, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Old 2010-11-15, 11:42am

I love tutorials and I agree with all the above but I would LOVE to have a tutorial from Jacqueline with frit-working tips and tricks!
Old 2010-11-15, 11:45am
Jacqueline Parkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyK View Post
I love tutorials and I agree with all the above but I would LOVE to have a tutorial from Jacqueline with frit-working tips and tricks!
Oh wow, thats weird as I thought of this during the past weekend. Just give me more time to develop more skills............I also have no clue how to write a tutorial. Meh, maybe I will just post tips in my five month thread as they come to me. As I posted in the bathroom one night.

1. less is more
2. make your frit move

I am experimenting with some bullseye glass today with frit and florals. yum.

Old 2010-11-15, 11:58am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
I would like to add Naos to the list. Come on , bring us an organic tutorial, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
~sniffle~ I don't have the time, otherwise I would.

Old 2010-11-15, 12:10pm
MacGalver

Quote:
What is a bead liner and do I need then? hehe . I am glad you are enjoying this thread.

Gems ~ a beadliner is a tool for doing silver (or other metal) cores in big hole beads. You know, Pandora style and larger? For bead caps and bead linings. The tutorial will be about how to make your own bead lining tool rather than buying a very expensive one. Make your own tool for about $20.

Yes, you will need one! LOL

Jo

Old 2010-11-15, 12:15pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Oh my.......I believe I do need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrlartist View Post
Gems ~ a beadliner is a tool for doing silver (or other metal) cores in big hole beads. You know, Pandora style and larger? For bead caps and bead linings. The tutorial will be about how to make your own bead lining tool rather than buying a very expensive one. Make your own tool for about $20.

Yes, you will need one! LOL

Jo

Old 2010-11-15, 12:15pm

Quote:
1. less is more
2. make your frit move
I saw this but it's number 2 that eludes me. I'm very good though at making the frit sink into my bead.
Old 2010-11-15, 12:22pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Ohhhhhh..........well I find that certain opaque glasses love to make the frit spread. You can also heat your bead and let it droop, or heat the side and let it spread to one size and then the other.......or whatever you prefer. It also spreads nicely on top of silver foil and transparent glasses. I don't quite understand why some opaques allow the frit to move and some make it sink. Maybe the softer glasses have the sinking quality. If someone knows, please chime in.

Go try some frit on top of poi............yum yum, or if you don't have that, try another opaque purple cim glass.

The reason less is more is then you have room for the frit to spread.

Quote:
I saw this but it's number 2 that eludes me. I'm very good though at making the frit sink into my bead.

Old 2010-11-15, 12:47pm

Thanks Jacqueline - I'll give one of the CIM purples a try!
Old 2010-11-15, 1:00pm
Newfoundland lover!

I have nothing but Great things to say about all the tutorials I have purchased. I think I am up to 12-15.
I think all the authors have done a great job. I learned new things without having to travel and take a class. Of course, I Love to take classes but, this is a great way to learn at home.
I am happy,
Merilee

Lynx, tanked propane, M-10 oxy and refurb oxy -5.
Old 2010-11-15, 1:03pm
Tonbodama Murrini maker

ooo i would love to see at least 4 more tutorials from Cynthia Tilker and i definately think it is about time that Anastasia get's the writing bug and share soem of her AMAZING skills with us.

And don't let me forget Amber aka Naos i would love to see a tutorial on your beads. I won't be picky... i love them all!!

Currently on a Knight Bullet and 2 oxycons and tanked oxy

|
|
|
|
|
|
Old 2010-11-15, 1:15pm
It's all about the color.

Quote:
That is exactly why I included an "extended heating" column in my frit tests (second column). I wanted to know what colors would sink and what colors would spread. You can see what I'm talking about here:
http://listen-up.org/kitty/beads/frit.htm

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2010-11-15, 1:31pm

Oh thanks Kay - that sounds hugely helpful!
Old 2010-11-15, 2:14pm
Shelarious

Have you guys seen Cynthia's pumpkins? I own two, and they are treasures. I don't think I could make them, but one day I'd love a tutorial on them!

I'd like Ayako Hattori to do a tutorial! And Loren Stump on shaded murrini.

And wouldn't it be awesome to have a waterfall bead tutorial by Juniemoon!?

Last edited by bshelle; 2010-11-15 at 2:17pm.
Old 2010-11-15, 2:25pm
Tonbodama Murrini maker

Hell Yeah! i have seen the pumpkins it is on my tutorial wishlist. together with the monkey, the pleated beads and the fish.

Cynthia... just encase you come in this thread. I am not picky, just start with oen of these 4 and i will be a happy camper

Currently on a Knight Bullet and 2 oxycons and tanked oxy

|
|
|
|
|
|
Old 2010-11-15, 2:27pm
Dancing Moon Shadows

I LOVE Anouk, Astrid, and all of the ones mentioned above. But I would also like to see one from SHARI SLONSKI!

Also, I'd like to express my extreme gratitude for everyone who makes their knowledge available (free OR paid!!). It is a lot of work writing tutes, and they are so appreciated! Not everyone can afford to take every seminar that comes their way and tutes really have helped me along the path.

THANK YOU!

[/b][/i][/font]

Last edited by asimeral; 2010-11-15 at 2:29pm.
Old 2010-11-15, 3:57pm
Mad about Glass

I am grateful to all tutorial writers and I love the ones I have purchased. I like to see techniques in tutorials and not how to make a specific bead, e.g. Sherry's techniques for inclusions and implosions in beads or Mary Moth's creased flower petals can be used in many original ways. I look at the actual bead made in the tutorial as a way of demonstrating the use of the techniques not as a way to make beads the same as someone else. For me a large part of the joy of beadmaking is discovering how to create effects and learning about the possibilities of working with glass.

[url]

Old 2010-11-15, 5:59pm

Ha Ha, I feel like an old hillbilly that was mistaken for the Queen of Sheba! But seriously, JanithS (sorry but I don't know what your name is)if you have any questions you could just post them to that shipwreck thread if you want. I would be happy to answer questions for you.

Now back to the subject.... I am the all time ho for tutorials! I love them. Even just one little new technique is worth it for me. Classes are so expensive and sometimes the teacher doesn't even live in the vicinity of where you are. And if you are like me, you just love to have that new tutorial in your hot, sweaty little hands, slowly trying to make sense of it all. Everyone works so differently and have such different approaches to working glass and I love to see the pictures of just how other people set their torches or where they put the glass in the flame. I also have learned so much from the people on this forum who have taken the time to post tons of info. So Thank You to all of those tutorial writers!

If I am making a wish list on tutorials, it would be Astrid or maybe a mystery writer, someone who has info on making off mandrel pieces and incorporating them into the 3-D beads. I am just beginning in this area and it would be great to have info from someone who really knows what they are doing.

Jeannie

Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. (Max Ehrmann)
Old 2010-11-15, 6:19pm
Mary Lockwood

Thanks, you guys.

~~Mary