Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-05-02, 12:20am
If I could set the Sun...

Default Butterfly implosion?

Was wondering if anyone knows how to implode a butterfly like you can with flowers. Thank you.
Old 2007-05-02, 10:35am

It's bascially the same as making a flower, only with the body down the center. And you would use only 4 lines to make the wings, two larger ones at the head, and two smaller ones towards the back of the flutterby. I wrote an article for Profitable Glass quite a while ago and it still hasn't come out, I think they are supposed to print it this spring, hope this helps. I'll try to find out when the article is coming out.
-chris
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Christopher Rice; 2007-05-02 at 10:41am.
Old 2007-05-02, 11:08am
Glass Addict

Chris, Those are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 2007-05-02, 11:16am
Somethings grow wild

Location: Soulsbyville in California, just down the hill from Yosemite

Hi Chris
Could you maybe draw a picture of which way the lines go, and where to place them on the maria (I think that's the right word)
Thanks Kare
Old 2007-05-02, 12:54pm

Let's see if this works......
-chris
Attached Images

Last edited by Christopher Rice; 2007-05-02 at 1:00pm.
Old 2007-05-02, 1:03pm
San Diego Toni

Oooh I'm gonna try! Thanks Chris!!

Old 2007-05-02, 1:12pm
Somethings grow wild

Thanks Chris how nice of you to go to the extra work of drawing us a picture I would be on my torch right now if I didn't have to leave for work in about a minute
Kare
Old 2007-05-02, 1:36pm
On a good hair day.

Wow Chris. Wow. Oh I said that already but Wow. That was very kind of you to put up the drawing. Thanks.

Old 2007-05-02, 6:08pm
Always with a smile!

Way cool. I've never seenthose before. They're beautiful.
Jill

) and
)
Old 2007-05-02, 7:11pm
Formerly known as LT

Wow!! Very cool thanks for sharing!

Old 2007-05-02, 8:19pm

Thank you soooooooo much! I am so excited to give this a try.
Old 2007-05-03, 3:34am

Make sure you all post pics of your finished marbles or pendants, I want to see!!! And your most welcome, good luck, let me know if you have more questions!
-chris

Old 2007-05-03, 5:22am

Thank you for your post. That looks like something new and fun to try!!!
I voted 5*. Your work is really beautiful!!

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2007-05-03, 5:39am
ID10T Problem Solver

Do you lay down all the components at one time, or do you implode one section for a little bit, then lay down another?

***Scorpion (4 stud)***
Old 2007-05-03, 7:41am

Wow thats so cool of you to share this tut! Those marbles are AMAZING!

Old 2007-05-03, 8:11am
Normal is Boring!!

Holy Molly you marble people have incredible talent! Beautiful!

~
~

Antique Brass Findings

Old 2007-05-03, 6:10pm

I do all the components at the same time. All this talk inspired me to make one today, thought I would share. I want to see some pics of yours!!
-chris

Old 2007-05-03, 11:19pm

Those are soooooo beautifiul!!!! Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful!!!! Thank you again.
Old 2007-05-04, 12:20pm
Floral Obsessed

Wow, Chris - thank you SO much for explaining that! I imagine it takes some practice to get them to turn out like yours do. But practicing will be fun!

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons
Old 2007-05-05, 3:13pm
Somethings grow wild

Default It ain't easy!

Okay this is embarrassing but, I’m going to share anyway. Did someone say PRACTICE? I well need a lot of it! There is much that can go wrong from centering the body to not having perfectly smooth lines on the wing (the blue one my propane regulator was surging) …not imploding it enough, or too much, color choice (the reddish one is transparent when not against a black back ground. Well, you get it. Let’s see what the rest of you have come up with.
Kare
Attached Images

Old 2007-05-07, 3:00pm
Floral Obsessed

Wow, Kare! The image is tiny but I can still definitely tell that those are some gorgeous butterflies! The blue one is my favorite.

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons
Old 2007-05-08, 8:32am
Mary Lockwood

Thank you so much Chris, for sharing your technique. I definitely want to give this a go tonight. I will post pictures of them even if they don't turn out.

Take care.
~~Mary

Old 2007-05-08, 8:39am
Gay rights R human rights

Here is my first attempt. Next time I wont make the body colour the same as the background colour (DOH!)

Leslie
Old 2007-05-08, 9:16am

Nice job you guys!! Keep them coming, my challenge today is to make one out of soft glass. I'll post some pics when it's done, this should be interesting!
-chris

Old 2007-05-08, 11:09am
San Diego Toni

Well here is my first attempt...

not too bad I think! When I have asked people what they think it is, they have all said BUTTERFLY!!!

More practice time this week!!

Last edited by Toni L.; 2007-05-09 at 3:02pm.
Old 2007-05-08, 1:46pm

That looks awesome!!! Great work!
-chris

Old 2007-05-09, 6:30am
Mary Lockwood

Here's the one I tried last night. Not great, it'll take some practice, but it was really fun to do. Now that I understand what to expect a little better I can't wait to try more.

Thanks again for sharing!

~~Mary

Old 2007-05-09, 6:54am

Now that's a cool one too. Great job, you all should be psyched! A little practice can go a long way. I still have to post pics of my first attempt at a soft glass marble. I'm so excited to be working in soft glass now, lots of new things to learn!!
-chris

Old 2007-05-09, 1:25pm
Somethings grow wild

Good to some other peoples pics. First time people? Really? You're good!
Leslie Love the warm summer colors
Toni Nice swirl reminds me of the art of the 60s-70s
Mary Cool great depth did you use a latacino?
Kare
Old 2007-05-12, 9:44pm

What fun this was!!!!!

My question for you is...

It looks like a flower bottom! How can one stop the butterfly from going down so far to the bottom? Look at the side view to see what I mean. Also, the back parts of the wing stayed below the big wing? Any suggestions? A third problem was the body, it sunk down and looks bent inward? Help!

Thanks for your help - wish you lived next door!...lol
Attached Images

Last edited by richsantaclaus; 2007-05-12 at 9:53pm.