Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-12-11, 2:37am
BeadsonCypress

Default You won't believe what someone trashed!

Driving to work yesterday, I glanced up the street and there sitting on the curb I thought I saw 2 (not one) 2 oxygen generators. So, being the trash picker that I am, I said to myself "YOU HAVE TO GO TAKE A LOOK TO SEE IF WHAT YOU THINK THEY ARE REALLY IS SO!" Yep, sure enough 2 Invacare Platinum 5's sitting there waiting for the trash people! Seems this couple bought a house and were cleaning out the shed, and out they went!

Now, since it was sprinkling, I put them in my barn to get dried off (not very wet, but I surely don't want to power them up until I am sure they are dry).

Do any of you know what is done to these to make them usable of lampworking? I have one I use regularly that I purchased already to go. I have seen the tubing arrangements to link them (I surely won't need three!)
so one will be looking for a new home it it works!

Suggestions anyone?

Susan

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2007-12-11, 2:59am
Mom to 20 paws

No suggestions, but good for you. Great find.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy jewelry-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AAA Gemstone Beads Etsy-
Old 2007-12-11, 5:14am

What great luck. The only thing I ever see on the side of the road are those folks in orange jumpsuits and I sure don't want to take them home.
Old 2007-12-11, 5:24am
phrit phreak

oh man I never find kewl stuff like that! LOL I'm sure someone will chime in about refurbishing them...if they need it. They are O2 generators? not concentrators?

Old 2007-12-11, 5:28am
BeadsonCypress

Which is which? Invacare I thought made oxygen generators....anyhow these are just like the one I have already (one is newer, the Platinum)....and I've seen them being sold on the bay for non-medical use.....help anyone??

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2007-12-11, 5:30am
Anyone need some spacers?

I would take the cover off and vac out the insides. I know that Giapet has taken hers apart and cleaned it out so ya may want to send her a PM.

Old 2007-12-11, 5:36am
Cherine Perrin Glass

Damn, you lucky girl! I'm sure there is a way to make them usable.

Good Luck!

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2007-12-11, 9:05am
Gentleman of Leisure

Fire them and try them.... IF they work, then do a serious clean up on them (vacuum out internals ( judicial spray of LYSOL disinfectant) change filters).. Enjoy!... Also many have hour meters on them these machines are good for 20,000 to 30,000 hours before need serious maintenance....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-12-11, 10:20am
Trying to Hope!

OMG lucky you I soo wish I could find something like that I am still cahined to tanks until I can afford to buy one *sigh*

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2007-12-12, 4:30am
Word to your mother

This is going to sound morbid...but bear with me.

One thing that you can do is to hook up with your local hospice and nursing homes and ask them to be on the lookout for used oxycons that are "no longer needed". You'd be surprised what can be salvaged after someone passes on. Sometimes families are just glad not to have to deal with the "clunky equipment".

Old 2007-12-12, 7:25am

Wow, talk about "another mans' trash" is your TREASURE. How cool!

I found a $20 dollar bill . . .once.

Vanessa
Old 2007-12-12, 7:58am

My Uncle over a year ago passed away. He was on oxygen. Had bought a brand new one.

When he passed away the nurse that took care of him asked my dad if she could have the oxygen generator. He gave it to her! I was so upset! I could have had it!

You lucky duck! I'm sure you could sell it for a few dollars to a lampwork artist near you if you find they work.

Old 2007-12-17, 9:06am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadstillmyheart View Post
This is going to sound morbid...but bear with me.

One thing that you can do is to hook up with your local hospice and nursing homes and ask them to be on the lookout for used oxycons that are "no longer needed". You'd be surprised what can be salvaged after someone passes on. Sometimes families are just glad not to have to deal with the "clunky equipment".
Here in the Netherlands, the oxycons are payed by our mandatory health insurance. Once they don't provide 99% of what they are supposed to provide they are no longer allowed to be used as medical supply. I got my concentrators for free from a medical company who was gonna throw them out. This of course was three years ago... they now ask 200 dollar for them wich is a bargain compared to what they cost in the US.