No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-12-11, 5:02pm
Enjoying Life!

Question Batch & hot off the torch annealing

I have read everything I could find about annealing, but I can't find info about what I'd like to do. I'd like to start out batch annealling and then add hot beads to the kiln straight from the torch. I have a brick kiln with a Sentry 3 key controller and I am annealing Moretti glass...
Should this program work?

(Put cold beads into kiln) Ramp up to 950 over 2 hours.
Hold for 4 hours (torch time).
After last bead goes in push 'skip program' to jump to the next segment.
Then
Ramp up to 960 fast as possible. Hold 1 hour.
Ramp down to 840 ober 2 hours (strain point). hold 15 mins
Ramp down to 700 over 2 hours, then turn off.

Also, what temp should the kiln be before adding the hot beads?
Thanks,
Laura
Old 2007-12-11, 6:17pm

Don't know why no one is answering, so I will...

That's perfect. Your kiln will already be at the right temp (950) when adding hot beads. Don't add them sooner though. You can ramp up a bit faster too, if you want. I do it over an hour or so and have never had an issue. Have fun!!

"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." ~Thomas Merton
Old 2007-12-12, 6:56am
Enjoying Life!

Default Goofed up the programing. Should I re-anneal?

Thanks for the reply! However, I somehow goofed up the segment where it ramps down from 960 to 840 and it ramped down to 840 at a rate of 420 per hour and I also goofed up the next seg to ramp town to 700 and I ramped that one down at a rate of 350 per hour. This morning, the beads are ok, but I'm worried that they'll crack when I go to clean them. Should I re-anneal them? I'm not planning on selling them, I was going to make gifts out of them. When I unloaded the kiln this morning, I found a transparent bead that was left over from the last firing. Oops! I think it should be fine though, you can't over anneal, right?

Laura
Old 2007-12-12, 7:48am

Hi,

The annealing time needed to ramp up and to remp down to the strain point varies with the bead size. There is a very detailed table about this in "More than you ever wanted to know about beadmaking" from Jim Kervin (an amazing book: so far, I've always found answers there for any single technical question I could have!). I don't know if it would be ok for me to post the table here, but if you just tell me the average size of your bead, I can check it in the book for you and let you know. I'll just say for now that for Moretti / Effetre / Vetrofond glass, if you have a bead with one inch diameter, you could ramp up in 38.7 minutes at the rate of 22.5 F / min. You could also go more slowly of course...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-12-12, 8:06am
ManBearPig

No reason to hold at 950 and then ramp to 960. Just hold it at 960. Everything else seems fine though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.