Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-07-05, 6:42pm

Default Tips on dot implosion?

Hey im pretty new to boro - maybe only about 2 weeks... and im having a bit of trouble with the dot implosions that are meant to look somewhat like an "awesome blossom" (hahaha chili's reference ftw)

Anyhoo, it imploding fine, im getting the rounded look but the tips of the imploded dots are pointy, and i would like to see them more rounded -- Ive seen the "rounded tip awesome blossoms" before but i dont know how to make them less pointy

Any suggestions?
Old 2008-07-05, 7:06pm
Borovangelist

I'll give you a hint, play with the shapes that you lay down on the maria.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 2008-07-06, 6:29am
boro color bender

If you lay down a small line instead of a dot, you'll get a more rounded tip. Pull a stringer and practice laying down 1/8" lines around the center, but not in the center. The only rule with implosions that you're going to really bloom is to NOT put a dot or line dead center, because it will mushroom when you implode it. .

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-07-09, 10:35am

Can someone draw a picture of what you mean. I have a hard time following the directions unless I can see it.

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-07-09, 2:31pm
ManBearPig

Bigger dots = rounder tips.

For example, on this marble the dots were about the size of a dime:

The finished marble is about 1.375" diameter. Granted, that was done on a tube and not a rod, but the same principle applies.

Old 2008-07-09, 9:39pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Bigger dots = rounder tips.

For example, on this marble the dots were about the size of a dime:

The finished marble is about 1.375" diameter. Granted, that was done on a tube and not a rod, but the same principle applies.
curious Cosmo on how you finish the lens from tube to marble. I understand the imploded dot theme in tube but how you gather enough clear for the lens since your working back to open tube? I do inside out work and add a lens that creates a line which needs to be masked with a backing, but it appears this marble is one solid gather. any tips would be great, chance are I see myself trapping an air bubble along the side of the tube trying to gather all that glass back in making a marble. sorry to stray from the thread topic.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2008-07-12, 9:59am
ManBearPig

It's easier to show than to put into words, but I'll try...

Once you do the implosion, keep heating and gathering the clear and start shaping it into a rough marble shape.

Get it pretty thick (like about 1/2 or 2/3 of the size of the finished marble) and remove it from the tube. Once you remove it from the tube, you will have a lip of glass around the gather. Heat so that your flame is hitting the inside edge of the lip. Heat slowly and let it gather up to make the lens.

Again, pics would probably explain it better, but alas I don't have any.

I really need to get back to working on that DVD...

Old 2008-07-12, 9:30pm

so same thing you would do with a flip disk? just the remaining tube that you cut away is used as the lens. I always assumed that gathering backing in to the tube might cause a night mare. My flip disk work is just the gather i created from the bubble I applied the design to,when it got down to the tube I would just remove. I'll have to play with this some thanks

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2008-07-16, 7:56am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by murf View Post
so same thing you would do with a flip disk? just the remaining tube that you cut away is used as the lens. I always assumed that gathering backing in to the tube might cause a night mare. My flip disk work is just the gather i created from the bubble I applied the design to,when it got down to the tube I would just remove. I'll have to play with this some thanks
Same thing. At least, the way I do it, it's the same thing. You just have to take your time condensing the front so you don't trap a bubble in the center (unless that's what you're going for). However, if you do trap a bubble, it's usually a small one, so you can usually get it out without hurting the design.

Old 2008-07-21, 7:31am

Huh,- nice marble by the way Cosmo - I was taught to super heat the the tubing and suck the air out to form the lens, once the implosion was on the inside. Gave me the heebee geebees I must say, but it worked. I think I will try it your way next. Thanks!

Sals
Old 2008-07-26, 2:12pm
Star Traveling Super Hero

yeah, condensing is 1) safer 2) more controlled, as apposed to sucking. Man I wish I had time to do marbles... ah but business is business yeah, love your flipped marb cosmo. I should stay up tonight and pull out one of my 44m and do an doozy to throw back up here you seem to be a never ending inspiration cos.

Im on
now!!!!!!