Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-14, 7:40am
Yeah me!

Default silver clear reduction frit... is there a trick?

Is there something to do to silver clear reduction frit other than to just reduce it? I read somewhere in here that with raku you should reduce and then marver to cool quickly to get the color to come out and I was just wondering if the same was true with this. I only ordered a sample to see if I liked it before spending the extra money, so I don't want to waste it if I'm not doing something right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-01-14, 9:18am

I have found that it works like iris amber to produce boro-ish effects.
Old 2009-01-14, 9:24am
FatCat Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey*bee View Post
...with raku you should reduce and then marver to cool quickly to get the color to come out ...
Just a note on the raku: It's super-heat (not reduce), then cool.

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2009-01-14, 10:42am
Yeah me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teri.p View Post
Just a note on the raku: It's super-heat (not reduce), then cool.
HA! well i'll be... thats probably why i can't get the stuff to work! wow, thats embarrasing!! lol Thanks

Old 2009-01-15, 5:31am

Lynda, do you mean iris gold? My favorite stuff in the whole world! Or maybe it's got two names.
Sooo, what do you do with silver clear to make it boro-ish? Anyone know the secret?

Old 2009-01-15, 5:51am
Yeah me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegem View Post
Lynda, do you mean iris gold? My favorite stuff in the whole world! Or maybe it's got two names.
Sooo, what do you do with silver clear to make it boro-ish? Anyone know the secret?
I tried it and didn't get anything but gray scum. So I'm hoping someone knows a secret.

Old 2009-01-15, 6:52am
Life is change. Love it

To produce boro effects with iris gold reduction I melt a blob of straw yellow, dip in frit, melt in, dip again and again. Then pull the stringer and use it on top of any transparent (experiment) and encase in clear. You might try the same with this frit.

Oh yeah and don't try reducing raku it ends up looking like crap IMO

Old 2009-01-15, 7:29am
Yeah me!

Do you reduce after you apply it? When I reduced it, it started out looking kind of metallic and then just turned scummy. It may just be the frit though, I read in "Passing The Flame" that some of the reduction frits don't work very well.

Old 2009-01-15, 7:58am

It sounds like you're over reducing. Try a much quicker pass through, and/or a smaller yellow flame. If you go past the reduction, you can also try to go back through a neutral flame and start over, but there's a limit to how far you can go with that.
Old 2009-01-15, 9:08am
Life is change. Love it

For the boro effect I don't reduce at all.