Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-03-17, 9:02pm

Default What is the 'standard' bead size?

I've been making beads lately... sort of willy nilly with whatever mandrel sizes I could find.

Could you tell me what the 'standard' size beads are for bead sets, both mandrel and outside dimensions for rounds and lentils?

I know focals can get much much bigger in dimension, but are they also made on the same mandrel size as regular beads?

I can't figure out what size spacer beads, or findings to get. Thanks!!
Old 2008-03-17, 9:34pm

as far as I'm concerned there is no standard. if you make a set and its 10mm its fine size wise. Make one thats 12mm thats fine size wise also. Make a set thats 6mm if that is what you wish to do well thats fine also. Sometimes you want larger beads, sometimes smaller ones. I tend to make smaller ones as spacers, thats a pretty common way to do it, I think, but I may be wrong. Can you tell me what size a standard seed bead is?

Rob.
Old 2008-03-17, 9:39pm

So most people make 12mm sized beads for sets?

I have been making beads on my 1/4" mandrels... and every finding I have bought just falls in the holes... LOL! On leather thongs, I have to double knot the leather, and it can still easily slip over the knot. There's no crimp made that can hold the beads in place on the thickest leather thong, let alone a leather thong double knotted that's still too small. So I started wondering if I was making my beads too big... hehe.
Old 2008-03-17, 9:48pm
Ezzy

I think you need to make what you are comfortable with. Most of my beads are done on 1/16" mandrels but those aren't boro. Some of my beads are done on 3/32" mandrels but those aren't boro either and generally for rather largish focals. Then sometimes I do make boro beads but those are generally on 1/4" or 5/32" mandrels because I burn through the smaller ones. Also, when I used to buy boro beads I could expect the holes to be 1/4" to 5/32".

Even though the boro beads I've bought and made are on the larger mandrels I'm sure there must be a few others are really adept at making them on 3/32" mandrels.

There's a bit of a skill factor involved as well as an application factor but after that it comes down to preference really.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Last edited by PixieFireBeads; 2008-03-17 at 9:51pm.
Old 2008-03-17, 10:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hels View Post
So most people make 12mm sized beads for sets?
I can not say what most people do. I actually know very few people out of the collective total, and of those people very few make beads. I however see the people I know who make beads making beads any where up to a couple of inches across. There Are no "rules" for what you must do for your art. You do not have to follow some set of secret laws handed down to glass artists. If you are comfortable making 35mm beads on 1/4 inch mandrels and they full fill the purpose you make them for (such as they sell or the people who get them are pleased with them) What other people do should not dictate change for you. If you want to make a different size from what you are now making do so.

By any chance are you asking what size beads sell best as sets? If thats what you want to know look at bead stores and bead sites and see what sizes they offer the most beads in. Style might matter as well. What sell best is usually size wise what is most stocked. Example: Chicken sells well in the average grocery store. Octopus sells relatively poorly in the average grocery store. if you look you will find more chicken offered for sale than octopus.

Rob.
Old 2008-03-17, 10:17pm
Dangerous Woman

For me it never fails that if I make a bead on a 1/16 mandrel the customer wants a bigger hole. If I make beads on 3/32 mandrels the customer wants smaller holes. Who ever said the customer was always right?

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-03-17, 11:36pm

I generally use 3/32" mandrels for boro beads. I "can" make them on 1/16" but man one hit with the flame and those suckers are toast. I think that 1/8" is a bit too big to use on regular beading material but would be great for hemp, leather, cord or silk ribbon.
My standard bead size for rounds is about 15x8mm but some of my customers use them as focals lol.
Make what you feel comfortable with. There is a market for almost any size you just need to find the right customers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-03-18, 7:59am

Ahhh! I've been making all my beads bigger than 15x8mm... haa! Now I know why a set weighs like I've got a ball and chain around my neck! hehehe.

Last edited by Hels; 2008-03-18 at 9:07am.