Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-02-15, 9:27am

Default Good Opaque WYSIWYG Boro Colors

I am looking for some suggestions for good opaque WYSIWYG boro colors that don't boil and work nice and smooth. I never really used these types of colors much, but now that I am making marbles, I find that I would like to have more possibilities. What I am looking for are colors that work like GA Peacock or Agua Azul...opaque but not boily like the crayon colors. I tried Poppy but even melting it in really slowly, it got boily and bubbly.

Thanks for your help!
Sandy
Old 2007-02-15, 9:33am
ManBearPig

There are a bunch out there.

GA Persian Blue, any of the sparkle colors, Precision Unobtainum is a favorite as well. Parramore white, GA Black Violet are also some I use a lot. GA Crayon colors are much less boily than NS crayons. Momka Sunset Orange and Pumpkin work well. As do Guacamole and Martini Olive.

One of my favorite colors to use is NS Butterscotch. It's not exactly WYSIWYG, but it does work well and gives nice colors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-02-15, 10:20am

I hear that Momka's Lusterous Blue is supposed be good as well. Can anybody confirm it?

Stay away from GA bibidibobidi blue. Or if you really want some I will sell you mine.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2007-02-15, 10:26am
ManBearPig

I just use some Lustrous Blue the other day. It's still in the kiln (haven't been back out to the shop since I worked). Once I get it out, I'll post pics of it...

Old 2007-02-15, 10:43am

What does "WYSIWYG" mean????
Old 2007-02-15, 10:56am
ManBearPig

"What you see is what you get"

Old 2007-02-15, 12:24pm

Ahhh, thanks!
Old 2007-02-16, 12:04am
Formerly Fireflyartglass

lustrous blue looks really really nice as surface work but I have found it looses it's sparkle encased and lookes very shitty imploded.
Old 2007-02-16, 6:06am

That's funny because it's my #1 sellling implosion, hands down! We must be doing something very different! It does lose it's sparkle encased, but looks a lot like turquesa imploded I think.
Old 2007-02-16, 6:24am
ManBearPig

If you want something that keeps its sparkle when imploded, use Precision Unobtainium.

Old 2007-02-16, 9:35am

Has anyone tried GA lilac? Does it boil?
Old 2007-02-16, 9:54am
ManBearPig

Never heard of Lilac. Is that something new?

Old 2007-02-16, 10:15am

Yeah, it is one of their new glasstique colors.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2007-02-16, 10:16am

Hello,
i use Lilac. It boils in the same way as sno white. Heat it and you have a foam-party; that means use it carefully.

Cosmo this colour is from Glassalchemy (Glasstique)

Greetings
Andreas
Old 2007-02-16, 10:27am

What about any of the Parramore pastels? I LOVE his white, and was hoping all the others worked just as easily. I'm feeling spring coming, and want some nice opaques too, just not too dark. Anybody tried any of his other colors?
Old 2007-02-16, 10:39am
ManBearPig

They don't like to be reheated. So, on things like marbles, where the whole piece is in the flame a lot, they will probably be okay. For things like sculptures, I wouldn't use them. They also don't like to be encased.

Old 2007-02-16, 11:21am
Missing presumed fed

That's a pretty blue in Sleekbeads' avatar. What is it, and is it well-behaved?
Old 2007-02-16, 11:35am
ManBearPig

I think she said it was Hyacinth. And, no, it's not...

Old 2007-02-16, 12:18pm
I'm too sexy for my shirt

You need to encase the Paramore colors as soon as you get them melted or they loose color. They are great otherwise, they don't boil, nice and creamy. I have only encase beads, nothing large, so I have not had a problem.

Cosmo, what problems have you had with the Paramore colors with encasing them?

Jerri

Last edited by isellrejer; 2007-02-16 at 12:21pm.
Old 2007-02-16, 12:43pm
ManBearPig

All three colors I got (besides white) cracked when encased - VW, Mallard, and Siberia.