Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-11-18, 8:54pm

Default Hot air/gasses at outlet of vent system

I've yet to see any reference to the temperature at the outlet of anyone's ventilation system. Is there no concern as to the temp running thru the fan? Is there just an assumption that it is cool enough to be safe? Are all the runs long enough that the air/gas mixture is cool when it leaves the duct? I noticed the safe operating temp for a fan referred for sale was 140 degrees. Does anyone use double or triple walled vent pipe? For example, one of the forums shows rubber tubing (6" or 8" dia.) being used as a means of quieting the motor and easing the vibrations back into the studio??

Come on Mike/Dale Dale/Mike what about this question. If it is nothing to be concerned about just holler and I'll shut up.

Thanks...Bo
Old 2007-11-19, 8:21am
Does it come in Purple???

I'm kinda curious about this too because I will have such a short run from the funnel mouth to the fan blades. Maybe about 3-4 feet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2007-11-19, 8:22am
Gentleman of Leisure

So where's the problem.... The flex connectors seem to stand up to temperatures, and if you have read almost all I have written I recommend a fan that has motor external to air flow. So if you follow that recommendations then air temperature around fan motor is not a issue... ....

The more air flow through system the cooler it will run ... Cool air being mixed the the hot combustion plumb tends to cool things... Actual outlet temperature seem to be a non critical item, the concern is quality of air in your breathing zone right behind torch plumb...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-11-19 at 8:25am.
Old 2007-11-19, 8:32am
Does it come in Purple???

Thank you Dale

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2007-11-19, 9:09am

Default type of blower/fan

Dale...I have a shop 24' x 24' with 8' ceiling. what fan are you referring to and how big. my duct work is 8" dia. I'm using a floor register for intake which is 12"x6". it is mounted to the work table on a 6" end with the 12" vertical. the torch is about 6" to 8" in front. best I can tell there are no fumes from the torch getting away. Back to the fan. that is my next purchase and I have been looking at inline fans. what fan do you recommend. I don't want to go thru buying 3 or 4 before finding the right one.

Thanks...Bo

P.S. you mentioned "all you had written on the subject". is it where I can find it or is it all basiclly in the form of responses to posts on the various forums?
Old 2007-11-19, 11:39am
Gentleman of Leisure

Basically size of studio is non issue...... How big is your hood? (capture area)... What are dimensions of "face opening". Height by width if its a "box" or "cabinet"t or height by depth if its a traditional hood? how may "stations" (or torches).

Most the information is posted repeatedly in form of responses to other questions...

A long read of the SAFETY forum will undoubtedly reveal a wealth of information...

If you may want to go for the whole enchilada go Burt Force...

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...opic.php?t=273

As for specific fan... There is none... You have to do the math (work the formula) and work out what fan size works for your hood design... My only cast in concrete suggestion is use "squirrel cage" design with motor out side air stream...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal