Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-08-27, 11:34am
The Crazy One

Default Cutting Boro Tubing?

Now that I have it, I have to fly with it! I have 3 pieces of boro tubing: 36 mm 42mm and 52mm, all heavyish wall (between 2-3 mm).

I need to cut it down so I can take it on a flight with me. I have a mini cc and tanked O2, never could learn to love those concentrators! What is the best way to cut this stuff? Why am I so crazy? What the hell was I thinking? Why the hell am I attempting something so beyond me? Do I need a shrink? Naaa forget THAT one, been there done that and only wanted to point out HOW stupid that woman was!

Ohhhh ya, I would like to end up with simi smooth edges, I don't want the airling to think they're a wepon!
Old 2006-08-27, 11:55am
Satake Woman!

I use a cheap-o knife sharpener, run it around the tubing in a circle, wet the circle I just cut, then it pops right in half when I bend it! This will leave sharp edges, but you can always heat them up a little to soften them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2006-08-27, 12:00pm
The Crazy One

Jo, Ummm DH is in charge of ALL knifes in our house. This is a good thang... The one we have is electric professional model and I think he may be upset if I take it apart to get at those sharpener thangies.... Could you explain a bit further? BTW I am willing to take that thang apart, it's not like he could do much being in a sling and all!
Old 2006-08-27, 12:03pm
The Crazy One

It's only 7 screws (most of them look unnecessary so if I loose a few...). It has a bunch of grinding wheels (?) on it..... Should I take the guard off and score the tubing and bash it about?
Old 2006-08-27, 12:04pm
The Crazy One

Ohhhhh and there is a large flat sharpening stone thang in the kitchen.... But I really like the eletric idea!!!!! Yummmmm power tools..
Old 2006-08-27, 12:06pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

loco you crack me up roflol...wish I could be there in person to see you in action

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-08-27, 12:12pm
The Crazy One

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne
loco you crack me up roflol...wish I could be there in person to see you in action
Your welcome here ANY TIME!!!! I'll even have DH cook for you! Oh and I do have a couple of extra bedrooms... Just let me know when your arriving!
Old 2006-08-27, 12:13pm
Satake Woman!

Oh geeze, don't take apart the knife sharpener! The one I have is about an inch long, and rectangular. It has a cheap plastic orange handle, so the total lenth is like 5". I looked for it on ebay, which is where I got mine, and I can't find one.

Old 2006-08-27, 12:20pm
The Crazy One

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmaw
Oh geeze, don't take apart the knife sharpener! The one I have is about an inch long, and rectangular. It has a cheap plastic orange handle, so the total lenth is like 5". I looked for it on ebay, which is where I got mine, and I can't find one.
Nope, no ordering from ebay! I have to get this crap cut by Tuesday, I fly on Wednesday.... DH did freek a bit about taking his machine apart, but good golly HE can always just but new grinding stones if'n I screw um up! Logic (ahum) tell me the stones are cheap compared to the cost of the machine (700ish)....
Old 2006-08-27, 12:23pm
The Crazy One

Any other ideas??????? I told DH I would wait awhile before I took apart his machine. OK so he was freeking a bit so if I can calm him down a bit (OR do it while he's at the grocery store it'll be better!
Old 2006-08-27, 12:30pm
Satake Woman!

I would try it with the stone first. All you really are doing is scratching a line in the glass all the way around. It doesn't even have to meet up perfect at the ends.

Old 2006-08-27, 12:46pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

just score the glass with the grinding stone...wet your finger and rub it on the score ( that sounds really weird ) and then snap it... use a towel or something to protect your hands from cutting

*note: remember Loco's DH is cooking when I come over

Old 2006-08-27, 1:31pm
The Crazy One

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne
*note: remember Loco's DH is cooking when I come over
loco's DH loves to cook gormet..... Ummmmm loco loves microwave popcorn and can eat it for up to 3 days. Beyond that you are on your own!!!!!!!
Old 2006-08-27, 1:39pm
Entropy increasing....

Mr. Smiley tip, use a pipe cutter. It's a thing you put on the tube it cuts around perfectly round and then you can snap it. LOoks like this.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...=08-12219721-2
Old 2006-08-27, 2:10pm
The Crazy One

Ummmmm pipe cutter..... I had one around here at one time.... Off to do a lookie through my tool chest!
Old 2006-08-27, 2:44pm
The Crazy One

OK so I have a pipe BENDER, ya baby THAT can be some fun, but not with glass! The pipe cutter I have.... I seriously question...... My sanity! Why on this earth do I have a pipe cutter that weighs more than me? Why would anyone want to cut a 15 inch pipe? What would anyone do with a pipe THAT big? But most importantly Why do I have THIS pipe cutter?

Unfortunatly this pipe cutter will NOT go as small as I need it! To think I thought this Boro tubing was big! Damn I could scrap this sucker out and pay for enough glass to last a loooong time!!! Maybe I sould reconsider THAT shrink???? Off to ponder the why's behind having THIS tool......
Old 2006-08-27, 3:04pm
Satake Woman!

Maybe you were going to use it to cut off someone's leg at some point?

Old 2006-08-27, 3:55pm
The Crazy One

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmaw
Maybe you were going to use it to cut off someone's leg at some point?
In all reality a hacksaw, chainsaw, or if I wanted to get messy a hedgehog would do THAT! A pipe cutter of THIS size is usless even as a hand held wepon, it's just to damn heavy... Ohhhh well I have traded many of these odd balls off to the neighbor for goods or services, I'll make it work one way or another.... Just not for glass, unless I want to make frit!
Old 2006-08-27, 4:29pm

hello

Here is a link to the tool that I use to cut boro tubing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GLASS-CUTTER-TUN...QQcmdZViewItem

I hold it and put one of the cornrs on the tubing and go around the tubing and wet the tubing and then I snap the tubing.

Daphne

Creative Memories Consultant
Old 2006-08-27, 4:47pm
The Crazy One

Daphne, Looks like it would be kwell for future use.... Unfortunatly I need to get this tubing cut by Tuesday night, I fly Wednesday AM....
Old 2006-08-27, 5:52pm
Serenity Now!

Hey Loco! You can use a metal file to do the scoring. Just hold it at a bit of an angle, and you'll be able to score it all around...you only need to score into the top (outer) surface - not all the way through, then as the others have mentioned, lick your finger, wet the score line and it'll break with ease.
Have fun with it, and have a safe trip!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2006-08-27, 5:55pm
ManBearPig

Metal file works. Glass scorer works. Even the wheels on a disk nipper work. Just score it and pop it.