Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-09-02, 11:59am
Booger #7

Default Cracking with GA Amazon Lagoon?

I finally have sat down and played with some boro I bought at the Gathering and every single bead I have done with GA's Amazon Lagoon has cracked. I have been using it as a base and then encasing it in clear. Should I lay down a footprint of clear and then the AL and then encase or does it just not like to be encased? Anyone else have problems with this color???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-09-02, 12:02pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

I haven't had problems yet, making a footprint in clear is always a good idea. How does the crack look, random or straight? Could be a thermal crack ( I thought that wasn't possible with boro ...silly me)

Old 2006-09-02, 12:05pm
Booger #7

I don't think it is a thermal crack as they aren't straight along the mandrel. I think I'll try laying down some clear and then the AL on top before I encase.

Old 2006-09-02, 4:51pm
AKA Vanna

I haven't played with Amazon Lagoon, but...if it is green, they just don't like to be encased. Yes, sometimes laying down that clear footprint helps, sometimes it doesn't. Brent was explaining it in a thread a few days ago. Maybe he will chime in here.

Kim's Klub
. Come on, you know you wanna!!

"Mama, I need one of those beads in Elvis Red, Mint and Bubblegum." My Daughter Austyn, age 6 (Future Glass Artist)
Old 2006-09-02, 5:56pm

I've used alot of Amazon Lagoon with no problems, and I never gave it special treatment. It's possible the rods you are using could have more metals in them (glass really can vary from batch to batch). It's a cobalt/silver color so it shouldn't be cracking from encasing as in the chrome-based greens.
It might help to lay a clear base under it as you've suggested.
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2006-09-03, 4:00pm
"....Oh Honey!"

This is a stretch, but is it possible this is a from the line where your color wrap joins or overlaps? It is common to see a shift of color at this join and it really looks like a crack beneath the encasement. I try to avoid this by adding multiple layers to my base bead.

Just a thought.

dvd now available

Old 2006-09-03, 4:03pm
boro color bender

It's not one of the colors that have been a problem for me. I've playied with it in mostly off mandrel stuff. It may be the batch.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-09-05, 11:35am
Booger #7

Thanks for the response everyone....I have another set in the kiln with a base of clear and then the AL....so we will see how they turn out!