Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-09-07, 8:54pm

Default The newb

Well its first post for me where to start.
been interested in glass for awhile now, got lucky on craigslist where someone was selling off there whole setup. Ended up getting 2 torches in the deal ones a midrange looks like http://www.artglass1.com/midranger.htm maybe an older model or something and a smaller torch which I havent been able to identify.

I'm using an oxygen tank and propane at first I was using something like 10 psi propane with 20 oxy then I droped to 5 psi propane and 10 oxy which seems to work a lil better. One of the problems I'm running into is that some of the ports are partially clogged is it a good idea to take this thing apart? (the midrange that is)

Ended up taking a 2 day class grabbing a bunch of books and reading like mad. did all kinds of searching online for more info ran across this place
started lurking here.

Initally the first few creations I made could be kindly called blobs with random color so I tried and tried went thru a few tanks of oxy hmm reminds me gotta refill the tank So at this time I can make some blobs of glass and color that can actually pass as pendants of sorts.

So I got about 12 presentable pieces which I sorta did the flame anneal/crock pot thing still a few cracked :/ yeh I have a kiln/annealer still havent messed with it. Its one of those with and infinite dial thingy so I've been looking into gettig a controller for it. still havent amassed enough info to make an educated decision on one. So I might have to bite the bullet grab a book throw my stuff in the kiln and tweak the dial every so often for a few hours to get the stuff annealed. Hmm at what temp does boro pick up texture from the what ever its layed on? at what temp does it stick to other boro?

With the whole package deal I ended up getting about 10 sticks of different colors in various lengths bought some random colors(mainly northstar), basically using random colors in my pendants been mainly worried about getting some glass into a pendant like shape then what colors I've been using so I can say from a certainty some color where not meant to go together

So I start hunting for color rods so I find northstar, Precision,momkas, glasss alchemy, damm wheres a winning lottery ticket when yeh need one
from the "where to buy the latest boro colours?" I found http://www.glasscolor.com/products/d...D=117&pID=1493 where there selling Precision "Bundles weigh approx 1.7 kilos. Included is 27 colors (2 canes of each color)." for $150.50 which I'm debating on getting also found http://www.artglass1.com/northstar-glass-r.htm.

anyone know where else there bundle deals I would prefer the 20" rods.
Old 2006-09-08, 3:55am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Hi and welcome.

About every boro distributor carries sample sets. If I where you I would go with the small sample sets first. They are less expensive as the full 20 inch sets and you only need a little color to create your bead/pendant or whatever it is you make.

When working a piece you will use about 10 % color and 90% clear. By getting a small rod sample set you will save money and will be able to see for yourself wich colors you really do like ( I have a lot of crayon colors I will never use but they came with the full rod sample set I bought).

Hope this helps,

Suzanne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.