Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2008-10-31, 12:51pm
Borovangelist

Default Breakage at shows

I was wondering what you do with your broken stuff when it happens at shows. If it's boro or morretti I'll usually chuck it, but if it's a BE fused piece I want to bring the pieces home with me to reuse. Even with the boro I might not be able to get to a trash can in a timely manner so I need something to do with it.

I'm thinking of bringing a couple of those 1.00 canvas shopping totes with me in my supply boxes just in case.
Old 2008-11-01, 10:41am
Glass-aholic

being that my stuff is WAY smaller than yours It goes in a really small tupperware container. I would imagine one of those tupperware shoe boxes ($1 store) would do the trick for most of your stuff, and a tote would not be a bad idea either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-11-01, 1:59pm
Borovangelist

True, but once it breaks it's the same size as yours

I just picked up one of those reusable bags from the grocery and tucked it into my supply box. They're kind of puncture resistant, so it should be good.
Old 2008-11-01, 6:20pm
Dildo Kween!

This is a really bad advertisement for your stuff

My Tutorials have been FREE since 2001

Old 2008-11-01, 9:41pm
Borovangelist

Nope, it's a bad advertisement for ME the person. One show I did I bumped my table and accidentally knocked a fused plate off the back of the table onto the asphalt below. Another show I managed to trip, fall against the table and one of my vases managed to smack into a hummingbird feeder on the table at such an angle it was a very small area of contact and punctured it. The vase is fine.

Some days I'm just a clutz
Old 2008-11-01, 9:43pm
Sharon

Believe me I can relate...I am frequently gravity challenged
Old 2008-11-01, 9:48pm
Borovangelist

I had this one perfume bottle that I had to remake the stopper for twice. The first time I took it over to show my day care provider and her son managed to slap it horizontal on the table; the top of the stopper sheared off at the lip of the bottle. So I remade the stopper. A week or so later I had the bottle on my table at a show, and someone got their stroller wheel stuck in my table cloth and the bottle again got knocked over,and again the stopper sheared at the lip of the bottle. I fixed it and finally sold the darn thing, but that was one sturdy bottle!
Old 2008-11-02, 7:26am

And then there's always the customers.....
(how sturdy is this clasp? You said it's on really stong cable & you've been wearing your bracelet for a year & you never take it off? I bet *I'd* still break it, let me see...Yep, see, I knew that I could pull the clasp apart.....as they grab both ends & yank & rip out both the BREAK POINT jumprings deliberately built into the bracelet for safety )

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-11-02, 7:46am

You guys are totally getting me excited for my first craft show in 3 weeks. Lol... I am sure I'll have some funny stories to post, too.

Betsy

Old 2008-11-02, 5:46pm
I know, I can't spell

I have a nice little way of telling people when they pull at my bracelets that if they break it they have to buy it.

I tell them also that I make my items as strong and as durable as possible but like any fine jewelry they can break and will if you are abusive with the pieces.

If I have any beads that I make break on me I take them home to be made into cabs. But again I do small items so that way I just put them in a really small tupperware container, the size of a pudding serving.

Good luck

Soon new stuff