Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-11-11, 9:41am

Default Lathe for cold working?

I am thinking about a lathe for cold working. Something small like a bench top type. Any opinions?

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-11-11, 10:51am

A lathe or a lap? A flat lap is a great thing to have around the studio.

Robert
Old 2008-11-11, 10:53am

No, not a flat lap. I have one and your right, it's a great tool. But it's a lathe that I want.

Old 2008-11-11, 10:54am
da General

A lap and a lathe too? I am coming up to play!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-11-11, 2:06pm

Just curious, what are you going to cold work in glass on a lathe?

R
Old 2008-11-11, 2:07pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimmons View Post

R
I was wondering the same thing...

Old 2008-11-11, 2:23pm

There are two types of glass lathes ....

* One is used with burners to shape hollow vessels.

* The other is an engraving lathe, sometimes used for carving and/or polishing.

No, they are not interchangable

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2008-11-11, 4:30pm

Nothing, cause I'm a dork I had lathe in my head when I was posting but that was the way wrong term. My friend Kelly set me straight so it would be something like a Genie. Geeezzz....my husband is a machinist too. I guess I can search now and maybe, just maybe find what I'm looking for.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimmons View Post

R

Old 2008-11-11, 4:31pm

Well then it would be the carving and or polishing one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post

Malcolm

Old 2008-11-11, 4:38pm
Dildo Kween!

Quote:

Malcolm
Not only for hollows my love.... Wanna bend over? I want to introduce you to something *applies generous amount of lube*

if you look on YouTube you'll find several glass lathe videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92zbS...eature=related

My Tutorials have been FREE since 2001

Last edited by Heidi von Frozenfyre; 2008-11-11 at 4:46pm.
Old 2008-11-11, 4:41pm

Like these?

http://www.merker-kmk.com/indexe.html

http://www.hisglassworks.com/cart/ca...duct_list&c=65

Malcolm

Email:

Last edited by ArtcoInc; 2008-11-11 at 4:43pm.
Old 2008-11-11, 4:44pm

Oh, that looks so cool. I want one of those. I'll be right back, I have to go to Germany.

I have to call you.

Quote:

Old 2008-11-11, 4:45pm

Malcolm, thanks for these links. I'm going to take a closer look now.

Old 2008-11-11, 4:45pm
Dildo Kween!

Well lets just hope she has at least $5K - $30K for her little project Mine was in the midddle

Old 2008-11-11, 4:46pm

Like a metal lathe? my dad had one when we were kids. The lathe spun the metal and he had these tols that when layed against the metal would carve out portions. You could change the design by the piece used to carve or the angle applied. Sounds like a good idea but you would have to have a box or something to contain the "shavings" and you would have to wear a good respirator.

Old 2008-11-11, 5:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad hatter View Post
Like a metal lathe? my dad had one when we were kids. The lathe spun the metal and he had these tols that when layed against the metal would carve out portions. You could change the design by the piece used to carve or the angle applied. Sounds like a good idea but you would have to have a box or something to contain the "shavings" and you would have to wear a good respirator.
Glass is not "cut" on a lathe the same way wood or metal is. On a glass lathe, a burner heats the glass, and the glass is moved while hot. An engraving lathe holds grinding bits, and the glass is hand held up to the bits in order to carve, or engrave, the glass.

Malcolm

Email:

Old 2008-11-11, 5:47pm
Dildo Kween!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad hatter View Post
OMG OMG OMG Uh time to leave it to the professionals.

Disregard MadHatter's idea please.

Old 2008-11-11, 6:18pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

Cynthia,

This is what I have. Come bring your ideas over and we can play with it.

Diamond Pacific Genie

Here's the Diamond Pacific 2009 Catalpg

It's an extremely versatile machine. I got mine for $50.00 including accessories. It was
one of the perks of working for Bagley amid the utter chaos. You can all hate me now.