AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2010-05-30, 1:33pm
Covered in glitter

Default Cricket question

I've never had to set up my torching equipment myself (can we say spoiled?). Well I have to do it now and I'm not sure what to set the propane at. I'm going to be using 2 5L oxycons so I figure I'll have them both at about 4L.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2010-05-30, 2:28pm
Alaska Boro

Running a Cricket with 2 concentrators rated at 5 LPM and 9 PSI. Set each with the bottom of the ball in the flow meter at 3. And propane at 5 PSI. Each concentrator has a check valve installed prior to the "T". If too little oxygen increase up to 4 or so. Keep in mind, that the higher the LPM the lower the purity.

This works fine for making boro beads to 22 mm in diameter. To make smaller beads on 1/16 inch mandrels just decrease the propane at the torch for a very oxidizing flame. Usually just run the oxygen wide open on the torch and only adjust the propane on the torch as needed.

There are many settings possible, so experiment and see what works best for your application.
Old 2010-05-30, 2:30pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

If you want to make sure your regulator doesn't fluctuate, set it at 8. That is my setting on my cricket.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-05-30, 3:09pm

I just hooked up my Cricket this week. Shouldn't the candles be blue? At first they were all orange and then blue and orange. I have it hooked up the same way that I had my Minor hooked up. I'm using 1 or 2 concentrators if needed. Then I use the 1 lb propane tanks.

Minor
Old 2010-05-30, 3:51pm
Alaska Boro

Quote:
Originally Posted by beybey View Post
At first they were all orange and then blue and orange. Then I use the 1 lb propane tanks.
A flame will vary if the fuel to oxygen mixture changes. Orange/yellow is either too much propane or too little oxygen. Also, if the concentrator is not supplying 90% or better oxygen you can also achieve a flame that is not correct.

Are you using a regulator on the propane tank? And if so, does it vary in output pressure?

Once the propane regulator is set it should remain at the set PSI until the tank is empty. If it does not, then you need a better regulator.
Old 2010-05-30, 6:18pm

Alaska, Pm'ing you.

Minor