LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2008-10-27, 11:13am
Where the Wild Wares are!

Default 12 Step Program for GTT Customers

This just cracks me up. I knew when I ordered a Mirage from GTT that there would be a wait.

I had read everything online here about how great the torches were, tried one and was hooked, and when I ordered it in late June was told by GTT "...delivery definitely by the end of July, and we'll give you a call for payment." SCORE! I'll have it in a month!

I didn't hear by late July, so I called GTT. "Oh yeah, we're behind, definitely end of August."

Then my August call... "...yeah, definitely September."

Then my September call... "...yeah, definitely October."

Then my October call... "yeah, definitely November, for sure."

Then GTT said "Didn't you just call about this?" "Yes, I did -- four weeks ago -- this is my monthly call."

I feel like I should be in some 12 Step Program:

"Hi, I'm Jim, I've ordered a GTT Torch and am waiting..." "Hi, Jim...!"

Someday I hope to actually have my bigger torch! [still laughing!]

Jim
Old 2008-10-27, 1:06pm

My bet is that it has something to do with their new Cricket being so incredibly popular - probably a bit unexpected! My understanding has been that they manufacture one torch at a time - all Lynx for a period of time, all Cheetah, all Phantom, all Mirage. Good luck, I know how it feels to be waiting not so patiently for something!

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-10-27, 2:31pm
Disconnected

I love your sense of humor about it! Good for you!

That said, no, it probably isn't funny.

Old 2008-10-27, 2:34pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Poor Jim! I would be jonesing for sure!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-10-27, 2:37pm
On the flippity flop

"Hi, Jim!"

Good luck. I think Pam is probably right about them being a bit unexpectedly overwhelmed by the popularity of the new Cricket. I hope you get your Mirage soon.

Jayne: "I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there's a woman. Or if I'm gettin' paid. Mostly when I'm gettin' paid." -- Serenity
Old 2008-10-27, 2:41pm
I love glass

I contacted them last week about a Phantom. They told me I should have one in a week or two. They said they are about to finish with the Phantoms. I guess if you want a GTT you just have to have a lot of patience. Hopefully you will get your Mirage soon.

Old 2008-10-27, 3:11pm
I need more boro stuff

Thanks God I ordered the Cricket

Old 2008-10-27, 3:18pm
Dildo Kween!

It's well worth the wait my dear... It will open up a whole new window of creativity.. will burn clean, quiet, you can grab it and it's cool, they are sexy looking and the bonus... they are chick magnets. It will rock your flippin world baby. I didn't want to use the word "flippin" because "flippin just doesn't do the GTT justice. It gave me a boner having a Mirage and Delta. Well OK I had to make my own boner.. but it was a fast and easy melting with Willy and Wally's Whiz-dom

Congratulations

My Tutorials have been FREE since 2001

Last edited by Heidi von Frozenfyre; 2008-10-27 at 3:19pm. Reason: changed "fuckin' to 'flippin' so I don't offend anyone gawd forbid I ever do that.
Old 2008-10-28, 8:19am
ManBearPig

Weird. I know one of the places I buy from just got a couple Mirages in stock. If all else fails, you can try calling around to some of the resellers. It's the same price, and you may not have to wait.

Old 2008-10-28, 8:41am
Does it come in Purple???

I had to wait many months for my Mirage and it was extremely frustrating but boy, was it ever worth the wait.

Patience young grasshopper

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2008-10-28, 9:46am
boro color bender

Call around. GTT direct isn't the only place to get one. You may be able to have one in a few days.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-10-28, 6:24pm
PyronamixK

As a general rule, I would call GTT and if they don't have a torch in stock they can tell you which distributors they sent them out to who might still have a torch in stock.

Keep in mind that there are people out there who sell GTTs but are not distributors. They may be getting their torches second or third hand. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but they usually don't get their torches until after the distributors they're buying from get their's.

I cannot imagine who would be getting in new Mirages right now. The last ones were finished and sent out back around June, I believe. Willy finished up the run before we went to GAS conference.
Old 2008-10-29, 10:27am

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions -- I have made a ton of calls to distributors and friends of friends but I'm going to have to wait.

Pam, you're right, in speaking with them, they do make only one type of torch at a time before moving on to the next. From a machining perspective that makes sense.

Cosmo, again thanks for the suggestion on whom to call -- they were out as well.

Heidi, you crack me up -- good on 'ya!

This seems to be just a rite of passage to get one of their torches, I guess. I don't have a problem waiting, I am very good at that. The annoying part is being strung along. They were working on Phantoms back in June when I called, and still working on them month after month after month after month. If I am told it will be a four or five month wait, I may grumble, but at least they're up front about it. I would have made other torch arrangements if I knew it would have been this long. It is more than annoying being promised "Yes, definitely, they'll be done by the end of the month." and then they act so surprised when I say "But, didn't you tell me last month it would be this month, and the same thing the month before that? If you don't think you're going to make it, just tell me." "Oh no, you betcha, end of next month for sure."

I wonder if they would be as patient if I took the same approach in paying them?

[I'm not laughing this morning... can you tell?]

If they're not careful, someone may pull the rug out from under them. Get an engineer to create a torch with unique adjustable flame chemistry (and yes, Heidi, add an elegant sexy factor), and actually deliver them, and GTT will scramble for business.

I really like their products, and it seems a bit incongruous going to them with my hat in my hand saying "Please take my money" and then be strung along with poor delivery. I know they're not doing this on purpose, but they really do need to re-think their business model and communication if they really want to stay ahead. I think there is some laurel resting going on!

Oh well, thanks for the vent -- the distributors tell me that they really ARE working on Mirages, so fingers crossed! Thank the Gods I'm not waiting on something else! LOL!

Back to the flame...

Jim
Old 2008-10-29, 9:19pm
I love glass

Jim,
Did you try Arrow Springs? I went to their website and when I add it to the cart it doesn't say it is out of stock. I clicked on the cheetah and it says that it is out of stock.

I would keep an eye on ebay. There was a black mirage on there a couple of weeks ago that sold for $1600.

Michelle

Old 2008-11-09, 3:43pm
Boro Brat

Jim, I hear ya, but for the quality control and attention to detail that GTT gives each torch, I can't imagine anyone doing what they do better. I would rather wait a year to have a properly working, sleek, sexy, and most of all out-of-this-world fantastic torch than get one tomorrow and just not know if the quality is going to be in this one. I'm sure W&W know they could make a lot more $ by doing things differently, but for the sake of quality and consistence they don't...and for that I have mad respect for them

Yes, I'm a GTT addict

Old 2008-11-09, 4:39pm

"I cannot imagine who would be getting in new Mirages right now. The last ones were finished and sent out back around June, I believe. Willy finished up the run before we went to GAS conference."

YUP! And Chuck got the last one that Glasscraft had!!!!

Believe me, I have a Phantom and Chuck the Mirage.... NOPE!!!! Wouldn't change... unless it was for a bigger GTT Torch! Willy and Wally rock!!!

Old 2008-11-14, 6:00pm
too many rods in the fire

OK now I am a bit scared! I am looking for a Cheetah - for Christmas. So I need it within a month basically. I called around and no one seemed to have them in stock (Arrow Springs, Frantz etc.), so Frantz suggested I call GTT directly.

I did and the gentleman I spoke with told me they had some in stock that were finished, just needed testing, and he would call me next week to get shipping information and payment from me.

Sounds too good to be true after reading this thread, but I am hopeful.

He also told me that they don't manufacture just one torch style at a time, contrary to what others have been told here (I asked, because I couldn't believe my luck that they would have a Cheetah right when I wanted it!). So I really don't know what to believe - all I know is I REALLY, REALLY want my Christmas Cheetah!!!!!

Old 2008-11-25, 2:47pm

An update, and a step in the right direction...

I made my monthly phone call to GTT this morning about where the Mirage's were. After a nice chat with the woman who answers the phone, she said she would check into it for me (since she knew I had been making monthly phone calls since July), and honestly, I don't think I could have taken yet another "...you'll have it end of next month, for sure." conversation with one of the guys. :-\

When she called me back, she said that the first Mirages were being completed and asked for my delivery address and credit card number. It should be shipped sometime late next week -- now with everything anatomical I have crossed in some fashion!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and feedback on the process. As Pipyr said, better to wait than to settle. I honestly do believe they're the best, and it will be the last torch I will buy for a very long time (did I actually say that out loud?).

Here's to the final step in my addiction to glass! And to a damned sexy torch to melt so much more of it with! I'll post a pic when it arrives...! Though I grew to love the smaller torches I have now, the patience I have acquired in the last few months taking 40 minutes to make an object that should take only 10 has been invaluable.

Again, folks, many thanks...

Jim
Wild Wares
Old 2008-11-25, 2:59pm
Disconnected

Here's to your great humor, patience, philosophy, and to GTT!

Old 2008-11-25, 7:52pm
Borovangelist

Jeez, now I want one Luckily I can't afford it LOL

By the way, I think it was Wale that tried to do their own twist on the GTT type designs and their customer base basically told them where they could light it. Customer loyalty runs deep with GTT. I've never played with one of the bigger ones myself but they look pretty. *shrug*

I'd just like to add, after perusing GTT's page just now, that if I ever hit lotto I'm buying a cobra and my own oxygen generation setup. Off to mop up the drool now...

|
|

Last edited by menty666; 2008-11-25 at 7:55pm.
Old 2008-11-25, 8:31pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
Jeez, now I want one Luckily I can't afford it LOL

By the way, I think it was Wale that tried to do their own twist on the GTT type designs and their customer base basically told them where they could light it. Customer loyalty runs deep with GTT. I've never played with one of the bigger ones myself but they look pretty. *shrug*

I'd just like to add, after perusing GTT's page just now, that if I ever hit lotto I'm buying a cobra and my own oxygen generation setup. Off to mop up the drool now...
Not only did Wale pirate the look and try to steal the cooling system, one of their reps actually told Misha (GLDG owner) that they were trying to pass it off as a Lynx so that people would buy it thinking they were buying a GTT.

Hey, if it were a half-way decent torch, that wouldn't be as horrible as it is (still bad, but just not as bad). With knobs and stuff falling off during use and the fuel leaks on the Wale Firebirds, I would hate for anyone to see a Wale Firebird in action and think that it was a GTT. When I was doing a bunch of testing of various torches on concentrators, the Wale Firebird was the torch that I was the most afraid of testing.
Old 2008-12-04, 10:24am

Default Almost here...

I'm looking forward to the final chapter in my adventures, and this is the next to last!

Stoked doesn't describe the feeling this morning as I got the email from GTT saying that my Mirage shipped today!

Next stop, the welding store to pick up those tanks (for the outer flame, I'm using my oxycon for the center).

I had to laugh though -- it will probably arrive sometime early next week, and the following weekend I'm out of town teaching!! I had planned on blowing through at least two tanks of O2 getting to know my new hot and sexy addition! Yes, I know, it will be there when I get back...

Next posting is the delivery and pics of my new baby!

Jim
Old 2008-12-05, 8:04am
Smooches!

I, too, am a GTT torch addict. They are definitely worth the wait, and the torches can't be beat. Soooo Sexy! Besides the fact that they work great too!

cocktail napkins available at:

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Old 2008-12-05, 9:53am

Jim, what a great Christmas present on the way!!! You will love, love, love the Mirage... My DH occasionally lets me use his

Old 2008-12-11, 6:06pm

Default My gods it's gorgeous!

Yesterday was a banner day -- there was a box waiting for me at home from GTT -- my Mirage arrived!

I couldn't help myself, so I took photos as I was opening it and thought I'd share...

I set it on the new workbench and just stared for a couple minutes! Starting at the top, these guys packed the torch as if it were the crown jewels. It was so well done, that it looked and felt like the box was giving birth. After unwrapping layer upon layer of padding and plastic, the torch was peeking through.

When it was finally out on its own, I can now see why people talk about such a "sexy" torch. It's an absolutely beautiful piece (and HEAVY!), and though I didn't have the time last night to get all the hoses set up (I want to take my time with that), I'm just in awe of this.

Okay, yes, I'll say it now... it was worth the wait! AND I have my own GTT story to tell.

Off to melt some MAJOR glass with this... I saw the accompanying video (which not only shows how to use the torch, but artists making pieces with different GTT torches... Nice touch!) and am inspired.

Thanks everyone for letting me vent through my process!

Contented sighs,

Jim

Last edited by Tirian; 2008-12-11 at 6:20pm.
Old 2008-12-11, 6:46pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

oooh - shiny.....

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-12-11, 6:48pm
Disconnected

Hey! I didn't get any video with my Cricket! lol
Just love your GTT story and unwrapping pictures. You put so much soul into it! Thank you for sharing.

Old 2008-12-11, 6:57pm
AKA: Noodlesaurus

So...... pea green, trying to save for a phantom next. Why I don't know (check out my siggy) but I just need it, I know I do. GTT is worth the wait no matter how long it is. 100% best torch in the universe!
Tirian congrats!

or
,~Punties, Mandrels,Beads.....GTT Phantom....
Old 2008-12-12, 12:12pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flonche View Post
Hey! I didn't get any video with my Cricket! lol
Just love your GTT story and unwrapping pictures. You put so much soul into it! Thank you for sharing.
The instructional video is included with the big torches (Phantom on up). It is available for purchase, though ($20). Since it covers the triple mix feature, I don't know how helpful it would be for the Cricket. GTT might be making a video just for the smaller torches.

Congratulations, Jim. I showed Willy your post of the unveiling. I think that is an internet first - the detailed process of unpacking captured in pictures.

Enjoy that Mirage!
Old 2008-12-12, 12:44pm
Does it come in Purple???

Congratulations on the birth of your new baby!

Yall forgot the most important part

It's PURPLE!!!!!!!!

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day