LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-01-06, 8:42pm

Default Old vs. New EDP

I keep reading posts that disucss this but nothing that describes and differences between them. The problem is that one cannot search on EDP, so can someone tell me what changed? Any photos to share? I don't use ita lot because of the devitrification - although I been successful with it - at times.
Old 2011-01-06, 8:49pm
Back to 👊 1

I am also curious. Thank you for asking the question.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-06, 9:31pm
honorary bead lady

EDP is EDP it is still hand made so the variations are per batch, that is the OLD batch vs NEW batch

I have a couple of pounds and it ranges in color and amount of concentric rings in the rod. I purchased it from !ngrid and she was kinda known as the EDP queen before she gave up lampworking. One thing she told me was to BUY IT IN PERSON!

If you look you can see that some rods have a lot more light color than dark. you want the rod with more dark color/rings X

http://www.artwearable.com/edpthetutorial.html
http://dragonjools.blogspot.com/2010...il-purple.html

Last edited by houptdavid; 2011-01-06 at 9:33pm.
Old 2011-01-06, 9:41pm
Cancer SUCKS!

David, would you like to sell me a rod or 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
EDP is EDP it is still hand made so the variations are per batch, that is the OLD batch vs NEW batch

I have a couple of pounds and it ranges in color and amount of concentric rings in the rod. I purchased it from !ngrid and she was kinda known as the EDP queen before she gave up lampworking. One thing she told me was to BUY IT IN PERSON!

If you look you can see that some rods have a lot more light color than dark. you want the rod with more dark color/rings X

http://www.artwearable.com/edpthetutorial.html
http://dragonjools.blogspot.com/2010...il-purple.html

Old 2011-01-06, 9:50pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Hopeful Journeys View Post
David, would you like to sell me a rod or 2?

Deb I'm hording it! Until I figure it out! I've only been using the stringers
I made the mistake of gifting a little of it away

Before I realised what it sold for
Old 2011-01-06, 10:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
I keep reading posts that disucss this but nothing that describes and differences between them. The problem is that one cannot search on EDP, so can someone tell me what changed? Any photos to share? I don't use ita lot because of the devitrification - although I been successful with it - at times.
Hi Debbie,

Just wanted to share a tip because the inability to search for 3-letter words used to frustrate me too. You can search for EDP and other 3-letter words on LE if you just add an * to the end, i.e. "EDP*"

The asterisk turns any search term into a "wild" search and you can use it as the 4th character when you're searching for 3-letter words or acronyms that are followed by a space.

Old 2011-01-07, 3:08pm

Here is the little bit that I know about Old EDP. It is one of the softest Effetre glasses out there and it is reactive with certain colors and so it makes for a decent component in a twistie. I have never used the new EDP and I am afraid to buy it. But with China restricting their "rare earths" we are going to see more and more colors change as they have to change ingredients.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2011-01-07, 4:20pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
l

I thought I had read that EDP was now being machine made and no longer hand pulled.
Please correct me if I am wrong about this. I do not want to give out false information. I will go and edit the post in which I have posted this information in and apologize if so.

I do agree that the darker colors and rings are very important.

Old 2011-01-07, 4:27pm
Tweedle Dumb

I think there is a hand pulled version, a machine pulled version, and a few months ago a slew of Sedona? was accidentally sold as EDP leading people to believe that the formula had been, uhh, reformulated... but it was just the wrong glass.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2011-01-07, 4:39pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Thanks Jamie Lynne, I was under the impression it was all going to be machine pulled now as well as many colors like OY, DSP and ...and well so many others.

Wondering how much it was going to change the glass characteristics.
If they are going to continue to offer both, even at a higher price, all is well.
I don't work soft glass very much anymore and do have a pretty good stock of my favorite colors, but would still like to know this information.

Old 2011-01-07, 9:42pm
honorary bead lady

How to deal with the devit... http://frantznewsletter.com/?p=1494

Hopefully you can see how much this varies in rods and goes from a purpleish grey to violet
Attached Images

Old 2020-10-30, 2:06pm

Thank you for the link to Frantz. I will try this setting on my torch and see how it goes!