Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2014-07-01, 10:19pm
Corgi Cult Member

Default Equipment for Demo

I am scheduled to demo at our local art center, but am uncertain what equipment I need to hook up the fuel. For many years I have used household NG and a M-15, currently with a Scorpion. For the demo I thought I would take my Betta and old 5 lpm concentrator so I don't have to disconnect my main system.

I have a regulator that is hooked to a hard line for propane that isn't currently being used since I find the NG fulfills my need and is easier than propane tanks. I could disconnect the regulator to use at the demo, but it isn't easy due to the location, so I would prefer not unless necessary. I vaguely remember reading a torch could be run off small canisters without a regulator. Is that true? If so, does it require special fittings?

The demo is only 1 1/2 hrs so I hate to invest too much in equipment I won't normally use, but I also want the setup to be safe. Any advice would be appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-07-02, 7:40am
Gentleman of Leisure

Small canister of propane are at propanes natural pressure according to temperature... At approximately 70°f. pressure in small (1 pound) canister is about 125 psi (same pressure as large tanks), you will need a regulator.... Many ways to go about this but it will depend on tank selections...

They make a device called a "steak saver" that will adapt the 1 pound canisters "disposable canister " connection to industry standard CGA 510 type of connection for "standard" propane tank connectors...

Once you have steak saver you can use standard fixed pressure(1/3 psi - about same pressure as NG) propane regulator... Or standard adjustable fuel regulator ...

Also fixed pressure regulator (called pancake style by some) can attach to standard 20 pound or 11 pound propane tanks.... BUT show venue may balk at large fuel tank for safety issues... Best to check with place where demo will take place on what restrictions they may have on fuel tanks for show...

Also 1 pound canisters tend to freeze up when fuel is drawn off to fast, plan on having second one you can swap or bucket of water to place canister in so water can "cool sink" the canister and draw off the cold...

Most important is assemble "system" before show and test it.... Really bad to get set up and find something is nor working for you....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2014-07-02, 11:02pm
Corgi Cult Member

Thanks Dale! I didn't realize pancake regulators would work. Where I will set up is near a door, so the tank can be outside with a hose running in. The venue is ok with it. Since pancake regulators aren't too expensive, looks like my best solution might be to get one of those and borrow a propane tank from our grill. That would beat having leftover 1lb canisters hanging around.

My cheapest solution would be to use the regulator I already have, but it was such a bugger to get in place, it might be worth the price of a pancake to leave it alone. I'll be demoing soft glass, so the lower pressure shouldn't be an issue.

I plan to set up on my patio and debug the system before I take it on the road. Wouldn't want a DOA experience with a room full of expectant people.

Thank you so much!!