No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-06-24, 5:26pm
Reality Impaired

Default Question about CIM Clear

Being basically adventurous and cheap, I was looking for a new clear that was less expensive than lauscha so I could buy more glass. So, I thought I would try CIM clear. I really like all of the other glass I have used from CIM. Got my order and I am having problems with tiny bubbles in the glass as it comes off the rod. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I've tried a couple of different rods out of the shipment I recieved, same problem with both. Tried using it further up the flame, still got the bubbles.

Is there some trick to working with this glass that I am not aware of?

Guess it's back to Lauscha....

Deb
Old 2008-06-24, 5:29pm
Glass my new Obsession

I have not had this happen with mine.I use this clear exclusively now.
Tina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-06-24, 5:30pm
Reality Impaired

Hmmmm - maybe I just need to work with it some more. Gee, I guess that means more torch time, aww shucks.

Thanks for the feed back.
Old 2008-06-24, 6:59pm

Yes it happened to me. Along with several other clears. Must be something in the atmosphere...

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-06-24, 7:10pm
Reality Impaired

OK, so it's not just me. Maybe I'll put it away until the next full moon and see if that helps.

Thanks!
Old 2008-06-25, 4:35pm
Carpe Beadum

I've had good experience with it. I have noticed that when I put the tip of the rod (only) in the flame and it gets really hot, it will bubble. It works better for me if I start to apply the tip of the rod to my bead just as it gets soft enough to melt.

Here's my process:

I wipe every rod I plan to use with alcohol before each torch session, and I make sure my hands are pretty clean. If I have to fuse two rods together (because one is really short) and where I was holding it looks greasy, I clean it again.

Then, when I'm using it, I turn the flame down a little and I work as far up as I can. I even stay toward the edge of the flame when I start, to adhere the tip of the rod to the side of the bead. Once the clear is attached to the bead, I will put the whole rod in the flame as I continue to wind it around the bead, and it doesn't bubble the same way like the tip does.

I like this clear a lot!

"In dreams we pass into the deeper and more universal truth." Carl Jung
Old 2008-06-25, 6:04pm
Reality Impaired

OK, I will give that a shot. I already clean each rod I use, so that is not the issue, but I will try your technique for heating and application.

Thanks a bunch!

"A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something."
- Frank Capra
Old 2008-06-26, 7:41pm
Reality Impaired

Disa,

Tried your slow and steady method and the results were better - still getting a line of tiny bubbles along the edge of the rod - on both sides. Will be patient and keep at it.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

- Frank Capra
Old 2008-06-26, 8:40pm
I speak Murrini!

I had this same experience. I found that many of the rods had tiny imperfections in them - and these were the culprits! I eventually held each rod against bright light from behind - you can see there's a tiny "bump" (and it was almost systematic - they were all evenly spaced along a single line down the entire length of the rod). These were what were causing the bubbles in the wrap of clear. I could literally watch it and I heated it and wrapped it - BLOOP, BLOOP, BLOOP!

I was lucky and the vendor I bought it from took it as a return (damaged goods!) and exchanged it for me. I've gone back to good old moretti clear and have no problems with the newer stuff.

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-06-27, 7:56am
Reality Impaired

I am considering going back to moretti or lauscha, this glass has given me headaches. I encase most of what I make, and no matter how slowly and carefully I work this stuff, it still bubbles.

I am glad to hear it's not just me, tho'. I was begining to wonder if I had slipped a gear or something on this.

- Frank Capra
Old 2008-06-27, 11:28am
The Crazy One

Deb, Get yourself a "Spaghetti Noodle Jar" fill it with your "clean" clear glass and rubbing alcohol. When you need a rod take it from the bath, dry and use.... You wouldn't believe what will come out of the rods even if their "cleaned" before going into the alcohol bath.
Old 2008-06-27, 1:12pm
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

I am just curious but why have so many gone away from Effetre clear? I've not had any problems with it. I do wipe all my glass with rubbing alcohol before I use them just in case....
Old 2008-06-27, 1:24pm
The Crazy One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegance_1 View Post
I am just curious but why have so many gone away from Effetre clear? I've not had any problems with it. I do wipe all my glass with rubbing alcohol before I use them just in case....
While I do not use a lot of clear, I have recently used and looked at Pam's clear glass. This is MY observations: The Moretti is badly scratched, vetrofond less so, lausha even less than those. The CIM that's here was packed in tissue where the rods have not been laying next to one another it has been the clearest I have used.

The Lausha has scummed FOR ME, while the CIM is less so. BUT please take into consideration that I work very hot and have NO patience in the flame! I'm usually finished with a bead before it's "done" as my brain has another idea in mind that I want to play with.
Old 2008-06-27, 5:40pm

Lauscha Clear is the only clear that I can slam into the flame and not have boil. And I've got zero scumming on mine. Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-06-28, 2:58pm
Reality Impaired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegance_1 View Post
My main problem with Effetre is inconsitancy. Usually it's fine, but at other times it is a mess to work with - mainly bubble issues. That said, I will often use it because I like the way it melts and I know there will not be any compatability issues.

- Frank Capra
Old 2008-06-28, 3:19pm
Formerly SirWatson

Deb - I've had the same issue you've experiences with CiM clear. Uber scummy and bubbly...even after cleaning the rods.

I use Lauscha exclusively, but am having a hard time getting rods in the diameter I want. Last I checked, everyone was out of 8-10mm!

Anyway, I may try CiM clear again in the future...who knows.

<><
Old 2008-06-28, 3:21pm
Reality Impaired

I placed a lauscha order - I use the larger rods, too. Paula has them at flamedame.com.

Deb

- Frank Capra
Old 2008-06-28, 3:28pm
Formerly SirWatson

Woo hoo! Thanks for the website! Off to check it out!

<><
Old 2008-06-28, 6:18pm

Oh thanks you two!
Your orders are ready to go Monday morning!
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-06-28, 6:37pm
Reality Impaired

Awesome - I want my Lauscha! waaaaaaa!

- Frank Capra
Old 2008-06-29, 9:52am
Carpe Beadum

I've been considering getting some lausha too, but I use a lot of silver glass, so opted to go with the CiM.

Debi, I'm sorry to hear your glass is still not cooperating! It does sound like there's imperfections in the rods that are the culprit. I hope you can return it!

re: Effetre - I prefer to use stringers when encasing, and I've gotten horrible batches of stringers. They were so cloudy, and I thought they were just dirty, but in fact they are full of bubbles.

I have gotten a couple good batches, and I miss them! I'd buy more in a heartbeat if they were bubble-free.

Old 2008-06-29, 12:55pm

Does anyone know how well CIM clear plays with silver glasses.
I just recently got some to try out and would love to know before I go destroying beads with using them together.
Thanks

Old 2008-06-29, 2:38pm
Ready to hit the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco View Post
Deb, Get yourself a "Spaghetti Noodle Jar" fill it with your "clean" clear glass and rubbing alcohol. When you need a rod take it from the bath, dry and use.... You wouldn't believe what will come out of the rods even if their "cleaned" before going into the alcohol bath.
Good tip! Thanks for sharing.

Old 2008-06-29, 3:31pm
Reality Impaired

That spaghetti noodle jar tip is a good idea. I am going to go see if I can find one this evening, maybe after all this rain stops.

Thanks!

- Frank Capra
Old 2008-06-30, 6:30am

I ordered CIM clear stringer. I don't use a ton of clear stringer, but I'm basically lazy and not having to pull stringer is a bonus. I was very excited when the CIM clear arrived -- even the stringer, each rod wrapped in paper. But, at this point all I'm using it for is expensive murrini caps - it's nothing BUT bubbles. And, yes, I've cleaned, cleaned, cleaned. Haven't tried any more, guess I probably should. At this point I remain a Lauscha fan.
Old 2008-06-30, 9:28am

I love love love Vetrofond clear. It's all I use anymore.

Old 2008-06-30, 10:10am
Carpe Beadum

Darleen, do you use vetrofond stringers or full rods?

I've made a bunch of beads with CiM clear and silver glass, and so far no problems.

Old 2008-06-30, 12:23pm
Carpe Beadum

Oh, I did forget to mention one other oddity of CiM clear -

I make flame beads with moretti reds, oranges, and yellows (both opaque and transparant) and most time those colors are on top of clear. When I use CiM Clear, some of the flame colors get a strange black halo around them, which might be cool in some instances, but is not what I'm looking for with the flame beads.

Old 2008-06-30, 8:19pm

I use the full rods of Vetrofond. I use Effetre for stringer.

Old 2008-06-30, 8:53pm
Life is change. Love it

Diamond clear is the best with silver glass, CIM is the second best. Take it from someone who uses silver glass in almost all her beads!

I've found Lauscha to be mostly incompatible with silver glass, the annealing temps necessary to avoid cracking pretty much destroy the designs of my beads