Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2012-02-13, 6:25pm

Default Ok, critique my site

I need some feedback. My personal critique is on the picture quality. I just started selling there. Before it was a portfolio type thing. I need to add the four shows I will be doing in Cinci. Thanks for taking the time.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-02-15, 5:14pm

I agree Catherine. I'm the last person to talk since I'm still scanning beads, but the focals that are available do not show really good detail.
Old 2012-02-15, 6:10pm

What kind of feedback are you looking for?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dori

Well behaved women seldom make history ~ Laura Thatcher Ulrich
Old 2012-02-15, 6:40pm

Anything that comes to mind.

Old 2012-02-15, 7:41pm
I'm a lilac!

The main things I would suggest is that you use larger, higher-resolution bead photos under specialized lighting, on a consistent, neutral background. The other thing is to resize your studio picture so that it's the same as the display size, because when the picture itself is larger than the display size it takes a bit longer to load. You might consider adding some space around and centering your photos, or placing them in rows as thumbnails that can be clicked on to get a larger image.

I hope that's helpful!

Old 2012-02-15, 9:16pm

Thank you Vicki, Dori and Kalera. I think I need some real help with photography. I am going to invest in this area to improve. Kalera, I can center the photos too. I'm
Going to pursue some help and if you will all be so kind when I update please give it a once over and don't hold back. I really value your thoughts!

Old 2012-02-15, 10:11pm
I'm a lilac!

I am always happy to help with feedback when I can! Good luck with your site, it can be a daunting endeavor.

Old 2012-02-23, 10:26pm

Since you're already focused on the photography, it might be good to spend some time looking at layout. I don't know what you're using to create your site, so I'll just make some general comments.

I noticed the pictures are of different sizes and some are butted up to each other, while others have padding. Like resumes, white space is essential on websites. You're better off with one fantastic picture than 3 ok ones.

Headings are inconsistent - it's hard to follow. On the Home page - your welcome message is right of the Vase collection title. On the about me page - My studio (photo title) appears to be the heading - but the page is about you.

Font Size - if you can, I would increase it in your content.

Gallery - again, the photo layout. If you have the ability to use tables, this is the best way to layout your photos. Draw it on paper and then you'll know how you want to lay it out.

Generally on photos - be consistent in photo size. If you want to make one photo per page stand out - make it slightly larger. But all the rest should be the same general dimensions - whether that's a perfect square that you've cropped, or resized from the orginal file. -- This element is more important on your site because of the way it's laid out. The varied sizes is distracting. The page should flow - think quilt.

I hope these ideas are useful.

Dori

Well behaved women seldom make history ~ Laura Thatcher Ulrich
Old 2012-02-24, 6:50pm

Thank you Dori! This is great feedback! I am using Web.com. I have two family members who are computer professionals. I am going to ask them to help me with this website. My understanding of how to manipulate it is limited. I am a nurse by profession. I need some help on this project. I was proud of what I started with but I need to take it to the next level. Just like advancing your lamp working this needs refinement too. Thank you again for your thoughtful response!

Old 2012-03-05, 9:21am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreeaMarshal View Post
you don`t have a header/footer/sidebar,your "website" is totally inorganizable
She has a sidebar... maybe something isn't loading properly for you?

Old 2012-03-10, 3:19am

Hi,

I was just checking out your site, and a couple things I noticed is that your page is pushed up to the left it looks good on a small screen but on a bigger screen you'll have a lot of white space all on the right side. I suggest centering your content. The other thing that I would suggest doing right away is resizing your images. Your images are being resized by the browser, but it would be much better if you resize them all to the size you want them to show, and then put them on your site. This way your site will load faster.

Old 2012-03-10, 5:30am

Thank you Amir! I need some technical help on this site. I use web.com and I am having trouble with adjusting things. I'm sure user error. I need to spend more time on web design but I prefer more time making beads!