Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-10-15, 7:09pm

Default It wasn't the kiln cracking my beads

Just wanted to update everyone on my kiln problems cause someone else might have this same problem and I hope it helps.

My kiln was not surging as I originally thought. The elements turn on and off every 17 seconds to keep the elements from burning out. (or so this is what the electrician told me) The 50 degree temp going up and down is also normal for the kiln.

As someone suggested in a previous thread my problem was the bead release. About the time I started getting massive bead breakage I had started a new bottle of Blue Sludge. I used Blue Sludge before and loved it and had no problems. I don't know if I got a bad batch or what. This bottle is extremely thick and I add water to it every time only to have it extremely thick again within a week.

I ordered Fusion this time and I've been beading all weekend with not one cracked bead.

I hope this helps anyone else with similar problems as I'm about 6 weeks behind in beading.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2012-10-15, 7:16pm

Ack, how frustrating.
Old 2012-10-18, 5:46pm
Senior Moment

Yay! I'm glad I could help and I am DOUBLY glad the problem is solved - you must be so relieved!

Are you going to contact the company? You must not be the only be with this issue.

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2012-10-19, 3:31am

When you added the water to the beadrelease, did you use filtered water? Also were you certain that your stirring implement was clean (like no invisible residue)? I ruined some bead realease using hard water. Did the lid fit tightly on the jar? But Im sure you would have checked all that...
Old 2012-10-19, 5:04am

Filtered water? I didnt know people do that! I have never used special water in the 6 years I have been making beads! And we do have hard water here. And never had a problem with my bead release........maybe I am just lucky

and also ......
Old 2012-10-19, 1:48pm
offically down under

F*ck!!!!!! I had this exact same problem yesterday! I thought it was me as I was using reichenbach, lauscha and zephyr clears ( not together) and about half my beads came out of the kiln with both thermal and incompatibility cracks.

I paid a ton of $$$$$ to have the blue sludge shipped as everone raved about it. It was super thick so I thinned it down with tap water which is very soft.

Old 2012-10-19, 2:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
F*ck!!!!!! I had this exact same problem yesterday! I thought it was me as I was using reichenbach, lauscha and zephyr clears ( not together) and about half my beads came out of the kiln with both thermal and incompatibility cracks.

I paid a ton of $$$$$ to have the blue sludge shipped as everone raved about it. It was super thick so I thinned it down with tap water which is very soft.
I would just go with Foster Fire smooth and tough or heavy duty

I started out with blue sludge and hated it, not to mention it is a pain in the ass to get beads off the mandrel and to clean it out of the beads.

Old 2012-10-19, 2:50pm
ALWAYS SMILES

Wow....I had a very similar issue happen recently , could I ask where you ordered the bad batch?
Old 2012-10-19, 3:17pm
offically down under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayo222 View Post
Wow....I had a very similar issue happen recently , could I ask where you ordered the bad batch?
I got mine from Arrow Springs about 2 weeks ago. I love my peeps at AS and in no way do I want to be negative against them.

Old 2012-10-19, 3:48pm
offically down under

Every one of these has cracks. Some look like thermal and some like incompatibility cracks.
Attached Images

Old 2012-10-19, 7:44pm
Tweedle Dumb

Wow. I would have never thought to point the finger at the bead release. Good detective work. I wonder what the hell is in it that is causing such issues?

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2012-10-21, 3:55pm
Ooohhh! Shiny!

OK Aussie folk. I've got a deal for you. Ms. FosterFire lives pretty close to me in TX and I'm coming down under in November. Would you like me to bring a few bottles with me? I'll do it for cost, no shipping except for post inside Australia. I'll be in Cairns and Brisbane. PM me if you want some. I'll need to know by Nov. 1.
Old 2012-10-21, 6:44pm
beads....mmmm

Have you folks notified the manufacturer? Seems like they might want to know and assist, too. Amazing that you figured this out! Very clever.

::
Old 2012-10-21, 7:10pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledragonfly View Post
I would just go with Foster Fire smooth and tough or heavy duty

I started out with blue sludge and hated it, not to mention it is a pain in the ass to get beads off the mandrel and to clean it out of the beads.
Oh my gosh! I thought I was the only one who thought that.

I never use filtered water, I might use bottled drinking water or tap water. I might even use the yucky quench water from the jar on the work bench... I've never had a problem with my bead release and what ever water I use to thin it down.

I use a mix of Fusion and Foster Fire. If I some how maybe add too much water I add some dry Alice's to the mix.

Old 2012-10-21, 8:41pm
ALWAYS SMILES

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
I got mine from Arrow Springs about 2 weeks ago. I love my peeps at AS and in no way do I want to be negative against them.
Oh definitely not being negative....trying to track the batch ! I switched to a new brand and had the issue immediately clear up,too !