Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-11-13, 11:31am

Cool beads Tina!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-11-13, 11:36am
Glass my new Obsession

Thanks I am super pleased with how they turned out although I am gonna etch the EDP one just to see what happens LOL!
Tina

Old 2007-11-13, 12:32pm
"Twirl that Honey round".

More then just"Cool",those are stunning. Great combinations and style. Kudos,TIM
Old 2007-11-13, 1:11pm
da General

Tina -

You made Hades look like a galaxy! Very cool.

I got one to share . . . thanks to Carol/crystalflipz who showed me what a wonderful glass Hades is!

Front and back:

Name:  Hades1.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  40.0 KBName:  Hades2.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  32.6 KB

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-11-13, 1:25pm
Glass my new Obsession

I love that bead Hayley!
Hades is most definitely a cool glass.I need to get my hands on more of it!
Tina

Old 2007-11-13, 9:51pm

Aww Hayley, you're makin me blush That is a stunning bead - what else did you use in it?
Here are a couple more from me:

Silver-wrapped Hades stringer over Hades hollow

Silver-wrapped Velvet (Vetro odd I got from Quentin) over Hades

I'm finding I get better results if I turn down my oxy rather than turning up my propane to get a reducing flame and then work farther out in the flame to keep the glass pretty cool. I use a lot of silver on my stringers and if it gets too hot, I get lots of bubbles and pits.

Old 2007-11-13, 9:58pm
Broken

So is Hades reducing, I wanted a regular black black. Maybe this wasn't the glass to buy?

Old 2007-11-13, 10:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
So is Hades reducing, I wanted a regular black black. Maybe this wasn't the glass to buy?
If you use it in non reduction- it's a fabulous deep, dark black which webs only under pressure- it will reduce though and it halors with silver.
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2007-11-13, 10:05pm

I've only had Hades reduce like this in the presence of silver. It's wonderful as a straight black glass as well. With lots of heat, it will web like intense black, but it will remain "blacker" when used as a stringer, or over pale colors - it does not turn purple like Moretti/Vetrofond blacks do. Raku and the silver glasses seem to have more "punch" over Hades rather than over other black glasses. The other think I really like - as if I needed any more reasons - is that Hades does not bubble or burn easily - it can really take the heat.

Old 2007-11-13, 11:14pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalflipz View Post
Aww Hayley, you're makin me blush That is a stunning bead - what else did you use in it?
Love your beads, Carol! I was serious when I said you inspired me to try Hades! This one got everything in it! Black Nebula, Psyche, Miro, Dali, DH odd T25 and T26 and of-course silver leaf!

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-11-14, 12:08am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

I have ONE rod of Hades, and I'm afraid to waste it. LOL! Beautiful work you guys!

So the blue iridized looking part on these beads is the BASE glass, and it does that because of its proximity to the silver wrapped Hades stringer?

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2007-11-14, 2:34am
Entropy increasing....

You know, it crawls on me pretty much with all glass. If I wrap something in silver foil first and then use Hades stringer, it doesn't, but most kinds of glass I have used it with, it does it everytime. I don't know, maybe I'm working it hot or something.

I really like it and I love what it does in the presence of silver. This goddess is made with all Hades wrapped in silver foil and reduced. I always turn the oxy down to reduce.

Old 2007-11-14, 5:13pm

Kevan, your goddess is lovely!
Tink, yup, the blue iridescence is - as best I can tell - just from the proximity of silver and a reducing flame. It's something in the Hades itself - once I started getting this reaction, I tried it with both Lauscha and Moretti black and did not get anything.

Old 2007-11-14, 5:15pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Thanks, Carol. I haven't read every word in the thread, but has anyone tried fuming it with silver?

Also Available in

Old 2007-11-14, 5:16pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post
Thanks, Carol. I haven't read every word in the thread, but has anyone tried fuming it with silver?
No, but now I will have to, won't I.
Old 2007-11-14, 5:46pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

I was hoping you'd say that Now go do it and get back here and tell us what it does. PRONTO!

Also Available in

Old 2007-11-14, 8:55pm

I've never tried fuming anything. Can't wait to see what Hades looks like fumed.

Old 2007-11-14, 9:09pm
Entropy increasing....

I don't have a lot of fuming experience. I tried it on a small spacer and I got blue!
Old 2007-11-14, 10:03pm
Sheila

Ooooh. And here I thought it was just a really nice black that works well on end caps. Stays nice and crisp during final shaping.

Old 2007-11-15, 2:19pm
Glass my new Obsession

I etched the EDP and the Blush one from my previous post

I also made this one with Hades and Transparent Amber

Tina

Old 2007-11-17, 8:34am

I just posted some pix in the Gallery of a silver-fumed Hades and Ivory bicone - I fumed it in a neutral flame, and then reduced the whole bead. If I may say so myself "The bead is gorgeous!" Even more iridescent than with silver foil, and no bubbles or pits from the silver melting. Gotta play with this some more.

Old 2007-11-20, 8:10pm
Glass my new Obsession

Hades is wonderful stuff!I am gonna have to ask Santa for some for Xmas LOL!
Tina

Old 2007-11-24, 8:03am
Glass my new Obsession

Cripes I ran out!!Man I gotta order more cuz this glass is an amazing Black!

Old 2007-11-24, 10:54am
Storm Queen

When I turned it upside down to photograph it the lighting really hit the Hades and showed all the colors. It's not this colorful to the naked eye but it does have a lot of colors in it. I would never use this picture to help sell the bead though. This is the picture I used in my auction:

Old 2007-11-24, 1:42pm
Glass my new Obsession

Gorgeous Amy

Last edited by HONEYBUNNY72_99; 2007-11-25 at 10:01am.
Old 2007-11-24, 2:57pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Wow Amy, that is beautiful!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-12-17, 2:44pm
sunscreen me baby

Huh! I have been using it like regular black and had no idea the hidden magic. Guess I'll have to give it some silver and play.

~

Old 2007-12-18, 8:50am

Suzy- you are missing so much- you could make some killer beads with just Hades and silver and a bit of reduction!
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!