Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-04-14, 3:57am

Default Chinese Cobalt Tubing

I'm having a problem with this stuff. It's getting a film on it that I'm guessing is reduction. Before I try working it again I thought I'd ask here if there are known problems with this color? It's so pretty and I'm trying to make some vessels. TIA
Old 2011-04-14, 6:58am
ManBearPig

Try working with a more oxidizing flame. I've used a LOT of that tubing and never had that problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-04-14, 12:57pm

Thanks Chad. I'll try again.
Old 2011-04-17, 8:03pm

What torch are you working on, Rose.... and as said above... oxy..

I have not had any problems and working on a Phantom

Old 2011-04-18, 4:13am

I'm on a Scorpion with an M-20 and 2 5's. Haven't had a chance to try again but it's probably too little oxy. It's thick walled so I 'm sure I had everything turned up pretty high. I'll try again and go slower with more oxy.

Old 2011-04-18, 5:18am
ManBearPig

You don't need a huge flame to work tubing. Remember, even extra heavy wall tubing is only 4mm thick...

Old 2011-04-18, 5:17pm

Use more oxy. However, this is one of the reasons I gave up on most Chinese glass. I find that the savings in material don't make up for the hassles and time lost in working it. Plus, I already had a kiln load of the stuff end up to fragile to sell. Not worth the gamble if you are selling your work, and I wasn't comfortable selling pieces made with glass that I didn't believe in.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2011-04-20, 4:23am

Chad, good info. That puts it in perspective for me.

Mort, I bought it to play with, not to sell. I just loved the color. But I appreciate the info.

Now that the wind has died down around here I need to play with it again. The wind wreaks havoc on my fan and blows the fumes back at me.

Thanks guys!