No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-10-07, 11:06am
Dianne Gleaton

Default Leaf Mashers

I have the leaf masher from Frantz glass, tried to order from Arrow Springs, and as usual.....they are out at present time. This happens so much when I try to order from them, that I am frustrated with them at present. Anyone have a suggestion where I can purchase a smaller masher with more defined veins for leaves? Anyone else have problems with orders incomplete with Arrow Springs, or is it just my unlucky streak showing? Dianne
Old 2012-10-07, 1:58pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I've got the economy leaf masher that Delphi sells - here

http://www.delphiglass.com/flamework...ools-supplies/

Not sure what the Frantz one looks like. I can't manage to navigate Arrow Springs website TO order anything. I managed to get an order through them once, but ever since then I can't seem to find anything on their site.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L-111

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-10-08, 7:17am
Dianne Gleaton

Default Mashers

Could you tell me their approximate size? The veining looks nice. Are you
pleased with them? Thanks for sharing the information, Dianne
Old 2012-10-08, 7:55am
Wendy

This one is my favorite that I've used: http://www.glasscraftinc.com/home/gl...plier_han.html

I'm pretty sure Cynthia Tilker's the one that recommended it to me when I failed miserably at using this other style: http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=4575

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me
Old 2012-10-08, 11:11am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejeangirlnc View Post
This one is my favorite that I've used: http://www.glasscraftinc.com/home/gl...plier_han.html

I'm pretty sure Cynthia Tilker's the one that recommended it to me when I failed miserably at using this other style: http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=4575
What makes them so different ??
Old 2012-10-08, 2:45pm
I speak Murrini!

If you can find them or wait until they are re-stocked, I recommend the ones from Mountain Glass! I think those may be the ones Cynthia uses too... I just LOVE mine!

http://www.mountainglass.com/Leaf-Pl...1-2-x-7-8.html

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2012-10-08, 3:10pm
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
If you can find them or wait until they are re-stocked, I recommend the ones from Mountain Glass! I think those may be the ones Cynthia uses too... I just LOVE mine!

http://www.mountainglass.com/Leaf-Pl...1-2-x-7-8.html
I don't think they are the same because the ones at Mountain Glass are $29 and the ones at Glasscraft are $10. I'd love to know the difference as I'm interested in getting some as well.
Old 2012-10-08, 3:54pm

I just bought a pair similar to these:

http://www.rockymountainglasscrafts....ED-LEAF/Detail

But mine have veins. I believe they are the ones Cynthia uses.

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2012-10-08, 5:17pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
I don't think they are the same because the ones at Mountain Glass are $29 and the ones at Glasscraft are $10. I'd love to know the difference as I'm interested in getting some as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane (clarus) View Post
I just bought a pair similar to these:

http://www.rockymountainglasscrafts....ED-LEAF/Detail

But mine have veins. I believe they are the ones Cynthia uses.
OH GOOD LORDIE! I think you're right! Sheesh, sorry about that! I'm going to go double check what I have when I get home, but I'm pretty sure I screwed up and mine are the flat ones with veins too!

Old 2012-10-08, 5:18pm
I speak Murrini!

At least I had the "Mountain" part right! (Get a rope... )

Old 2012-10-08, 7:08pm

No worries, De! I also have the flat ones and need to get a pair of the veined bent ones. Hopefully they will be back in stock soon.

Old 2012-10-09, 5:49am
Wendy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09
What makes them so different ??
The ones I failed so miserably with were made of a thinner metal and the veins didn't come out well defined. Other artists use those and have great results, I just really didn't.

The ones Cynthia recommended when I asked about it here on LE are a better quality of metal, thicker and the veins come out very well defined every time for me.

The ones I linked from glasscraft are the same ones from rocky mountain, they just cost less from glasscraft.

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me
Old 2012-10-09, 6:03am
Angie09

Thanks for the explanation BlueJeanGirl! Think I'll go with the ones from Glasscraft!
Old 2012-10-09, 6:28am
Wendy

Hope you love them as much as I have, Angie!

Just for further clarification, Rocky Mountain's got a great closeup pic of the mashers I used that I didn't like here: http://www.rockymountainglasscrafts....ED-LEAF/Detail You can see in the photo that the channels for the veins are much thinner than the other mashers.

Quote:
Old 2012-10-09, 7:25am

I have them both. The ones from glass craft are much more defined when it comes to the veins. I mash the ball of glass, and then take a pair of tweezers to kind of twist and shape them. Heat them gently, and pull the tip a bit to elongate them if they are too stubby after mashing.

The second one is glass craft and I think the first one are the other ones. I reshaped them though to look like holly leaves.

Old 2012-10-09, 10:27am

Cynthia, you can work magic with any tool! I always love seeing your creations.

Wendy, thanks for the clarification that the bent tool is available at Glasscraft for less - I'll have to order it from them.