No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-12-25, 7:35pm
Angie09

Default Another display question

I do jewelry shows and am stumped as to how to display this....say I have a necklace made up of yellow square beads which I am displaying on a commercial bust. However I can make that same necklace in green, blue, red, etc. I'm thinking of making one bead of each color offered and put them on ball chain. Doesn't sound very nice ..... functional but not artistic. I'd rather display them on a mandrel of some kind at the base of the jewelry bust display. Anyone have any creative ideas?
Old 2013-12-25, 9:07pm

For just one mandrel maybe a long skinny box lined with fabric.
Like you would find for bracelets or fancy pens.

For multiple mandrels a shadow box with little / cut into the frame will hold the beads fairly well. I use little piece of craft foam to keep the beads on the mandrel when handling them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-12-27, 7:53pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

I use cigar boxes to diaplay focals and other individual beads. Bead Box Man sells some all gussied up on his Etsy store, buy I just bought some from a cigar store and had my husband make side rails with grooves for the mandrels to sit in.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-12-27, 9:26pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Maybe a photo of the different choices made up?

Old 2013-12-27, 11:19pm
Salt Box Beads

You could try something like this and just add all of the colors on one bust.
Attached Images

Old 2013-12-28, 7:19am
Angie09

I've gotten ball chain and going to see what that looks like. I also got alphabet beads to put before each bead on the chain so if someone wants to order the turquoise one, they can use the letter rather than a subjective color name. We'll see how this works. If I like it I'll post a pic....if not, it's on to idea #2. But keep those ideas coming ....please!
Old 2013-12-28, 11:46am
Glass-aholic

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
I do jewelry shows and am stumped as to how to display this....say I have a necklace made up of yellow square beads which I am displaying on a commercial bust. However I can make that same necklace in green, blue, red, etc. I'm thinking of making one bead of each color offered and put them on ball chain. Doesn't sound very nice ..... functional but not artistic. I'd rather display them on a mandrel of some kind at the base of the jewelry bust display. Anyone have any creative ideas?
Any chance you can make one necklace with all the colors on it? As a template so to speak? Then you can display them next to each other and write something up that says it can come in all these colors.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-12-28, 12:57pm
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
Any chance you can make one necklace with all the colors on it? As a template so to speak? Then you can display them next to each other and write something up that says it can come in all these colors.
So make one necklace out of say 10 different color beads (the colors I'm offering the necklaces in) so I'd have a multi color necklace....is this what you mean?
Old 2013-12-28, 3:51pm
Katherine

I think you should make one necklace of each color you have available but just a bit different lengths - then put all of them on your display - sort of like what Lorraine said above.

Old 2013-12-28, 5:31pm
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass obsessed View Post
I think you should make one necklace of each color you have available but just a bit different lengths - then put all of them on your display - sort of like what Lorraine said above.
I love that idea but it's way too much work. That's why I was going for a single bead of each color.
Old 2013-12-29, 5:53am
The Andrea Half

I would make one necklace in one color, and photograph it. Save the photo. Then put the necklace on a display and have a choker above it on the display (using the same chain) with all the bead colors and a note saying that the necklace can be custom made in any of the colors in the choker. As you make necklaces, add the photos to a photo album until you have enough for a small album just to the side where you can show samples (marked SOLD!, of course )

Old 2013-12-29, 7:05am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourTailsLampwork View Post
I would make one necklace in one color, and photograph it. Save the photo. Then put the necklace on a display and have a choker above it on the display (using the same chain) with all the bead colors and a note saying that the necklace can be custom made in any of the colors in the choker. As you make necklaces, add the photos to a photo album until you have enough for a small album just to the side where you can show samples (marked SOLD!, of course )
GREAT IDEA! I have some of the necklaces already photographed and I can get nice color copies to put in a small album. As for the choker....not sure how that will work since my necklaces are all lampwork (no chain) but I'm going to give it a try. Love the idea ... I might even have mini cards printed at Moo so a client could actually take one with them.

You know, with all the disagreements and petty trashing that occasionally gets done here on LE, this is still a WONDERFUL resource with people who truly care about one another. Thank you all for the great ideas! I always know I can count on you to share ideas and resources .... it is greatly appreciated!
Old 2013-12-29, 9:26am
The Andrea Half

Thank you! (Glad I could help -- I've gotten so many good display ideas from others that I am very happy to pay it forward.) And, OOOOh, I like the MOO card idea!

For a choker, I would just use pre-made chain or fabricate artistic wire chain in plain figure 8s. It needs to be really simple, because the focus should be on the beads as a sample. And who knows? You might get an order for a choker!

Old 2013-12-29, 10:29am
I'm meeeeelting

How about making one bead in each color and then string them onto something that you can place around the base of the bust? Add a tag (either strung on the strand or attached to the bust just above the strand that says "available color options" or something similar.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2013-12-29, 6:02pm
BeadsonCypress

Depending on the size of the mandrel you are using, of course, there are 1.5 mm ball chains available that will fit.

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2014-01-03, 2:36pm
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
So make one necklace out of say 10 different color beads (the colors I'm offering the necklaces in) so I'd have a multi color necklace....is this what you mean?
Yes

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: