Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2010-11-26, 3:55pm

Default What kind of chair do you use?

I am finally getting rid of this stupid old chair (i've had a reject from the house- super low crappy old office chair). Wondering the height and what kind others use before i buy.

Thanks for your feedback,

Kim

Became addicted on HH June 07
graduated to Minor Jan 08
Oxy Con & Natural Gas (frustrating but now great!)
Old 2010-11-26, 6:12pm
Gentleman of Leisure

I have one of these... Its so old the padding (foam) has actually dissolved or what ever it does when it goes flat...

Balans Back Chair:

Forces you to sit straight up and keeps back straight and reduces strain...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-11-26, 9:21pm

Thanks Dale, i thought that might be good. just tested a stool (didnt work well) - so will return to crappy chair and keep my eyes out for something like you suggested.

PS - had a HVAC over to look at my ventilation (a few weeks ago was trying to figure this out and you were providing guidance) He said its ok, so maybe it was the crappy fibre blanket, or i could have been working too close to the flame. Cleaned my studio up good! Have just done my first beading session in 3 weeks and all is good so far (was out of the country for a bit)

Old 2010-11-26, 10:56pm
Salt Box Beads

I have the saddle chair and I love it, but then I've owned and ridden horses for much of my life...LOL

http://www.backdesigns.com/Health-be...g-W13C231.aspx
Old 2010-11-26, 11:12pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

I use a stool now but I am building a chair using an old, really old, tractor seat.
Old 2010-11-27, 8:45am
put a bird on it

I use an old cushioned desk chair that goes up & down, which is wonderful for adjusting my working height. Got it for about $10 at a thrift store. Caution, tho: flying glass landing on the padding results in copious black smoke from the burning padding. The glass sinks fast into the padding as it burns, making it unreachable... the closest I ever came to a fire in the studio!

It is now completely covered in a piece of scrap leather DH picked up for me.
Old 2010-11-27, 9:17am
honorary bead lady

Stool and 36" bench
Old 2010-11-27, 10:24am
flight risk

I'm currently on the lookout for an adjustable height stool with a tractor style seat. I used one in a class last week and LOVED it. It wasn't on wheels, though, and I understand that being able to move quickly away from hot, flying glass is kinda important...

Old 2010-11-27, 11:05am
honorary bead lady

chair height
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vibrant-Vi...Stool/10996258

bar stool height
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vibrant-Wi...-Seat/10996250
Old 2010-11-27, 11:18am
Wendy

I ordered this one in black and love it: http://www.overstock.com/Office-Furn...6/product.html

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me
Old 2010-11-27, 11:56am

Smile

I love my Bevco ergonomic adjustible height chair! I found one at a garage sale of a previous distributor. Mine has the armrests, great for when I chill back to take a brake. http://www.bevco.com/7000-series.shtml

Old 2010-11-27, 12:22pm
flight risk

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
Thanks for the link, David- I was looking at those, but the lack of wheels concerns me a little. I'll have to see if I can add casters or something- I do have a (new) taller table, so I might be standing alot more, too.

Old 2010-11-27, 1:33pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinainmymind View Post
I'm currently on the lookout for an adjustable height stool with a tractor style seat. I used one in a class last week and LOVED it. It wasn't on wheels, though, and I understand that being able to move quickly away from hot, flying glass is kinda important...
I took the wheels off of mine..just to slippery...but I was on vinyl flooring and it rolled around every time I moved. Carpet or a rubber pad would be okay.
Old 2010-11-27, 3:02pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

I use a drafting chair that I got at office depot. It adjusts waaaay up and down to regular chair height. I do stained glass as well as lampworking and so it's good for both.

Contributing member of the EPIC FLOUNCE thread 2013
Proud member of YOU PEOPLE thread.
Old 2010-11-27, 6:44pm
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillie View Post
I use a drafting chair that I got at office depot. It adjusts waaaay up and down to regular chair height. I do stained glass as well as lampworking and so it's good for both.
I use a drafting chair, too. My bench is somewhat high (on the rare moments that I make marbles or sculpture, I prefer to stand), so up it goes. I have another table where I sew, bead or do PMC stuff which is 36" (a tad too high for a normal chair) so I can drop it to work over there. The seat is well padded, and the back will tilt forward, so it's very supportive in almost any pose. It was about $150, but worth every penny.

Old 2010-11-27, 7:22pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Thanks for the link Ofilia.I'm looking for a new chair too.Mines too low,I've been getting tingly hands lately.I think my chair is too low, and I can't lower the table or the torch.

Old 2010-11-27, 7:26pm
Tweedle Dumb

Am I the only one that stands? I can't find a good chair... or stool.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2010-11-27, 7:37pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie lynne View Post
Am I the only one that stands? I can't find a good chair... or stool.
There is no way I could stand all day on concrete floors,did that for 20 years in the flower biz.

Old 2010-11-28, 9:54am
Salt Box Beads

I used to stand but then I was dancing to the music too much!!!
Old 2010-11-28, 11:01am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Hey, nothin wrong with dancin, baby!!
Old 2010-11-28, 5:32pm
Salt Box Beads

Except when it produces really wonky beads...LOL
Old 2010-11-28, 6:48pm

I use an Aaron Chair which you order by your height and weight. Free shipping from www.officedesigns.com. If you have any spinal problems this is a great way to go.
ginger
Old 2010-11-28, 6:59pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2 View Post
I use an Aaron Chair which you order by your height and weight. Free shipping from www.officedesigns.com. If you have any spinal problems this is a great way to go.
ginger
Wow...these chairs look great but too rich for my blood!

Old 2010-11-28, 7:27pm

Great - great feedback!!!

Old 2010-11-28, 8:47pm
Mary Lockwood

I use a saddle stool. I'm not one to spend a lot of money, but for the longest time I worked standing because sitting made my back, shoulders and neck feel terrible. The saddle stool corrects my posture without me thinking about it so that I can work for many continuous hours without the pain I was experiencing with an office chair or regular flat stool.

I have exactly this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-VINYL-DOCT...item19c140f8a0

If you order a saddle stool or similar chair, I highly recommend getting the foot ring. Lots of the models I've seen for sale don't have the foot ring and if you've got it cranked up high, your feet won't touch the floor and your feet will just be hanging there. After a while, that gets uber uncomfortable.

The one that I linked to is fully adjustable. The foot ring goes up or down, the seat goes up or down and the seat tilts front to back however you adjust it so that it custom fits you.

This chair has helped extend my comfortable working time, thereby increasing my overall production and has paid for itself several times over, I'm sure.

Hope that helps.
~~Mary

Old 2010-11-28, 10:36pm
needs creative tagline

Anybody have experience with one like this?
http://www.petedge.com/product/Maste...prod-backorder

The price seems good, though its almost $20 S&H

I like that it adjusts to such a wide range of heights cause I have a high table for glass but want to sit much lower for using the jewelers saw. It doesn't have the foot ring but I have very long legs so dangling shouldn't be a problem.

laura

Facebook -

Lynx with OGSI-15 and big holding tank, Redmax on tanked, and National 3b that swings both ways...
Old 2011-01-28, 7:15pm

I stand as well.

Back in my day, we had nine planets.
Old 2011-01-29, 1:41pm
Nikki Haverstock

I am really interested in the saddle seat. I have an awful time with my neck when I sit for a long period of time. I had some issues looking on google since it pulled up all kinds of other things when I googled Saddle seat. Thanks for the ebay link, I will start there
Old 2011-01-29, 5:22pm
Detail G-Mama!

I had to get a drafting chair when we moved here because my worktable is actually a workbench for standing at. I love it!

Old 2011-01-30, 12:17am

I stand. I have a stool, but I use it less than 10% of the time. I think that I get less stiff when I stand, because I move around more - it's also really easy to walk over [3-4 feet] to my glass storage if I need glass.

"The creative process is a process of surrender, not control.” Julia Cameron

Scorpion on 2 concentrators