No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-12-31, 11:40am
Senior Member | Jenelle

Default Quick Natural Gas question

does anyone know.... we are using bottled propane BUT moved into a house this year that has Natural gas. It is already piped into our studio from where someone had a gas dryer hooked up. Can we simply hook into this for our glass work? What kind of regulator is needed? Thanks! Jenelle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

Old 2010-12-31, 11:53am
Senior Member | Jenelle

ps I have seen links on this and mainly want to know about the regulator from someone who uses NG for torching- :~)

|
|
|
|

Old 2010-12-31, 12:04pm
Gentleman of Leisure

You can use it if you have a fuel/oxygen torch (not hothead)...

No you don't need a regulator, gas pressure should be regulated at meter where gas pressure is controlled for distribution to household appliances (should be at about 1/3 psi (11-13 IW (inches water column))...

A precaution may be to add "flame check" device between NG line and torch....

Lots written about NG use in "Studio" and "Safety" forums....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-12-31 at 12:06pm.
Old 2010-12-31, 12:10pm
Senior Member | Jenelle

Super! Thanks so much for your time Dale- happy new year! =)

|
|
|
|

Old 2010-12-31, 12:30pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

I have NG, but I use the booster from http://www.gas-tec.com/

I love it!

Old 2010-12-31, 12:35pm
Senior Member | Jenelle

Wow Debbie- thanks for the link and it sounds awesome, yikes on the price though... hmmm. Something to ponder By the way we just sent some beads to AGLF yesterday. Happy New Year! Jenelle

|
|
|
|

Old 2010-12-31, 1:55pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Oh YAY Janelle, thank you for the beads!

The price is high, but doing boro I needed it. Not sure I do now that I have a Scorpion. (At the time I had a Cudda)

Old 2010-12-31, 1:57pm
Senior Member | Jenelle

|
|
|
|

Old 2010-12-31, 2:03pm
Corgi Cult Member

I love never running out of gas in the middle of a bead! Many torches don't require a booster, my Betta doesn't and runs great on the pressure supplied, however I can't run my Lynx on it if I want a flame longer than 1".

Old 2010-12-31, 2:06pm
Alaska Boro

Using a four stud Scorpion on NG with two 5 LPM at 9.5 PSI concentrators. With propane 3 concentrators, now with NG only two are required.

The NG is at .4 PSI. It would be nice to have 2 to 5 PSI as the line to the meter and regulator is at 55 - 60 PSI. However, local zoning limits residential pressures.

Overall, the switch between the two fuels worked seamlessly. Have not notice any increase in the time it takes to make a boro bead. And it 'seems' that the flame is easier to work with. i.e. very little boiling of NS white, as an example.

The best part is no more late night trips out in the cold to the propane store or running out of fuel in the middle of a project. And overall natural gas is 3 to 6 times cheaper than propane.

Last edited by Alaska; 2010-12-31 at 2:12pm.
Old 2010-12-31, 2:22pm
Senior Member | Jenelle

"best part is no more late night trips out in the cold to the propane store or running out of fuel in the middle of a project" yes THAT is the tempting part

Great info Kathy & Alaska, will give it a shot this weekend. We are on Mini CC's and just work soft glass so hopeful

|
|
|
|

Old 2010-12-31, 6:24pm
Am I there yet ?

I am just a newbie, but my husband would not allow me to use propane--not gonna get in to the debate we had about it. But I indulged his neurotic fear he had about the propane and just agreed to go with the natural gas. I guess some battles just arent worth it! If it got me my studio I was all for it! I use a mega minor with an oxy con and love it. I dont really know any different since I have never used propane, but for my needs it is great. My DH ran the line right there at my station and put a second shut off valve for safety. He is happy, I am happy-we are all good!

Old 2011-01-01, 9:22am
Butterfly Rancher

I worked soft glass with my MiniCC at 1/4 PSI for a couple of years. It works but the Cricket did significantly better at the low pressure. Then we chatted with a gas installer about on demand gas water heaters. The local utility company had to put in a 2PSI meter for the water heater (we've yet to install the water heater) and my gas installer tapped into the higher PSI for my torch. So my torch is at 2PSI and my household appliances are at 1/4PSI. The MiniCC works significantly better with the higher PSI NG.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2011-01-01, 9:56am

I have a a Mini CC , oxycon and natural gas. Love it. No regulators as Dale said. I do check my hoses on my torch more often check for gas leaks. I use the soap and water method. But I have always done this as a safety precaution. Because after a while the rubber on the hoses do breakdoown. I love using natural gas. Easy and so simple.
Janet C.
Old 2012-10-03, 9:14am
Wendy

Just wanted to chime in on this thread to say that we also had the tankless water heater installed this week that requires a higher ng pressure to run. One of the reasons we went tankless was because it allowed me to also get the higher pressure to my Betta torch! It was a much higher cost for the water heater but my dh said that he knew having the higher ng pressure at the torch would be a nice bonus for me.

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me
Old 2012-10-04, 6:57am

My DH setup my torch area with the natural gas that is available here. He had the gas company up it to 5 PSI and used a step down for everything else. This was considerably less expensive than having a booster which he wasn't comfortable using. The cost is actually a lower rate at the higher pressure. I really like having enough pressure to work boro if I want, but the best features are consistent pressure, no tanks to have filled and it is far and away cleaner than propane. Might be my imagination, but the glass seems to like the natural gas atmosphere.

Andrea