Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-04-15, 12:50am
Ad astra per aspera

Question Murrine Mentality: Flat or "Closed"?

Okay, it's late and I have had 2 glasses of wine so please bear with me.

If you place a slice of murrine on a bead and just melt it in, mostly as-is (in terms of a heat/melt cycle), you usually get a small center with a lot of the outer layer showing as a "surrounding," right?

What do you do to achieve a melted-in slice that retains most of the details in the same proportion to the original slice? A dot of clear on top and then melt in? I KNOW I've read about some way to make this happen, but I'm totally kerflugeled at this point. All of my murrini "melt in" to that pinpoint of detail with a lot of the outer layer showing.''

I very gratuitously lifted a pic from Lori Peterson's FB page (apologies, mea culpa, etc....I just placed an order so I hope she'll forgive me!). Look at the center/bottom bead with the pink outside, vs the checkerboard 2 beads over, or the smiley or the heart above/adjacent.

How do I get the center of the murrine to be the focus instead of the outer layer? Um, this is for a melted-in slice, to be specific. I'm sure it's a matter of heat/timing, but I can't figure out what takes priority, if that makes sense.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-04-15, 6:17am
Nikki Haverstock

She has a lovely YouTube tutorial. I believe it involves gentle heat tap tap tap cover with clear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-04-15, 6:46am
Lampworkaholic!

Heat pause tap gently, heat pause tap gently, etc. make sure to tap parallel to the surface of the murrini and not at an angle.

Sometimes I place a small dot of clear before I place the murrini.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-04-15, 6:50am
Wendy

http://youtu.be/9ryi4XxEu2Q

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me
Old 2012-04-15, 6:59am
Tweedle Dumb

Make sure it is just stuck enough to not pop off, then cover with clear. I've been messing with some that can't be compressed at all, and that is the best way to do it. The person I purchased them from also recommended a "dam" of clear around it, and then encasing it so it stays up right and doesn't smoosh in as easily.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2012-04-15, 7:26am

The ones that I want to show, I heat the bead and sink it in most of the way. I then add clear on the top and fill in the "ditch" very gently with the clear only, as to not smear the murrini. The other way, putting it on the surface of the bead and adding clear I use to "bloom" flower murrini. If I want the face of the murrini to disappear and the sides to show, I just plop it on the beads surface and gently melt in paddling it a couple of times with no clear.

Old 2012-04-15, 8:58pm
Unmedicated since '62

i sorta work backwards and only because i screwed up at first and discovered this method by accident - i have the murrini heated ready on a hot plate, i heat the tip of a thinnish rod and pick the murrini up with the small gather then stick it to the bead then i burn off the rod leaving a lense behind

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-04-15, 9:09pm
Lampworkaholic!

Oh cool Deb I am going to try that. Just ordered some new murrini today from Lori & Kim, I have been playing with them more again lately.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-04-15, 9:13pm
Unmedicated since '62

i discovered this method because i lost my tweezers in the crap on my desk halfway through a bead and needed an emergency pick up method

Old 2012-04-15, 9:20pm
Lampworkaholic!

I wonder if it would work with CZs ...

Old 2012-04-15, 9:24pm
Unmedicated since '62

well, interesting that you should ask

i was watching a video the other day from Troll and thats how they were picking up the cz's!

also, she was laying the cz's out carefully pointy side up on a marver and rolling the hot bead in them, thats how they make these

http://www.trollbeads.com/en-US/cata...se_USD%29.aspx

Old 2012-04-15, 11:21pm
Catnip Pusher

$63??!!! I've been doing beads like that for years, apparently I've been W-A-Y undercharging...

That idea is great for murrini though!

Aimee
Old 2012-04-16, 11:23am
novembersfyre everywhere

I like to leave my murrini raised also. I heat the place on the bead where I want to place the murrini, wave the murrini through the flame, then I stick the murrini to the bead. I usually give a gentle tap and if needed I direct the flame at the juncture of the bead and the murrini to make sure that it is bonded.

At this point I usually place a dot of clear on the top of the murrini. Then get another drop of clear very liquid and place it to the side of the murrini. Continue adding dots of clear all of the way around and push them together as you go without pushing on the murrini. When you smooth everything out be careful to not let your internal heat base get too hot or your murrini will melt in.

Lori does have a free tutorial for her beads. It's easy to follow!

This ring top that I made has multiple raised murrini on it. They are not melted in at all. You do catch a few bubbles with the hot clear but this picture is greatly enlarged and they aren't really noticeable at all. By the way, a really soft clear like Aether or Zephyr works best for these types of bead. I used just regular old Italian murrini: