Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2015-02-13, 9:27am
Living out Loud

Default Glass Alchemy Love Our Customers Sale

This is one of the deal where I stock up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-02-13, 11:56am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

I am not impressed. AT ALL

Old 2015-02-13, 5:27pm
Flamewoman

me either

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2015-02-13, 6:44pm
funny mofo

Doesn't start until tomorrow.
Old 2015-02-13, 7:58pm

It seems to be on right now. I see glass for $12.00 a lb. i read their email to mean that it started tonight (Friday) at midnight. But they are PST.And I just looked and found those prices. Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2015-02-14, 7:33am
DaveK

I was told the "deals" started on the 1st of Feb. for those in the know. Of course all of those are now "out of stock" when the official sale starts.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-02-15, 6:50am

nah. not true. the sale starts at midnight on the 14th and runs through the 28th. GA always has "occasional quality" glass in the $30lb range, but the "we love our custies" sale price is closer to $14 a lb most colors.

but you literally have to be on the website, at 11:59pm, and hit refresh a minute later, build your cart and checkout before everything in your cart is out of stock.

but no, the sale didn't start for certain people on the 1st.
Old 2015-02-15, 10:37am
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
nah. not true. the sale starts at midnight on the 14th and runs through the 28th. GA always has "occasional quality" glass in the $30lb range, but the "we love our custies" sale price is closer to $14 a lb most colors.

but you literally have to be on the website, at 11:59pm, and hit refresh a minute later, build your cart and checkout before everything in your cart is out of stock.

but no, the sale didn't start for certain people on the 1st.
Well, it may not be an overt "bait-and-switch" sales strategy, but I know for a fact that a friend got heavily discounted items from their website in the first part of Feb. I have noticed they have gotten rid of a lot of the out-of-stock listings since yesterday.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-02-15, 4:59pm

Maybe i can help clean somethings up the sale normally starts at 12:01 AM PST on the 14th this year as the 14th was Saturday they started it on the 13th so it wouldn't start on the weekend.

around the first of the month they start putting more things in the outlet part of there site. at there occasional quality glass prices. this year they had some pink flamingo, atomic kumquat, some six inch rod frit packs of discontinued colors pulled from sample pack , cheap thrills ,some shorts, and Occasional Quality Boromax® Layered tubing and knuckles. and as last year people jumped and bought most of the new stuff before it went on sale, if they would have waited till 12:01 AM on the 13th they would have been less.

When i started at 12:01 AM on the 13th there 70 some differant items in the outlet and like he said by the time i went to checkout things were already soldout and removed from my cart. now there only 22 item in the outlet section.

other years the have added some other colors to the sale so keep an eye on it things may change a little.

so the one the got it before the 13th it was a deal but it wasn't on sale yet. it was lower price because it was Occasional Quality Glass. and you get what you pay for OCG is hit and miss GA don't do odds and 2nd like Northstar if it not first it OCG i have got some that seem like first to me other that had so much air in you couldn't melt without it broiling away. other yellow that was a muddy brown yellow and some silver glass that had so much silver i could use it to fume other glass. but i was alway able to use more then half so the $28 a pound price is still good. at $14-$18 a pound it is a good deal but know you are not getting first quality glass at that price and many not alway be able to use all of it and they don't hid it this is the listing on all the OCG.

Glass Alchemy Occasional Quality Glass. This glass does not meet the Glass Alchemy first quality standards and may consist of rods varying in length and diameter. The glass may have slight imperfections such as deviations in color, stones and/or air. This glass was made with love and care at Glass Alchemy, but it did not make the cut and is now looking for a good home. All sales are final on Occasional Quality Glass.

Living the dream rocking a GTT Mirage and or 40mm Herbert Arnold J Howard Style with a home fill system in south central Wisconsin

Last edited by mightymike; 2015-02-15 at 5:09pm.
Old 2015-02-16, 6:54am
DaveK

I like the distiction between "odds" and "seconds". I think it is only fair. Especially selling glass over the inerwebs. I knew TAG did it but was unaware that NS did it too. I think it should be an industry standard. IMHO.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-02-19, 1:24pm

yes GA usually has "occasional quality" glass for sale around $28 a lb (ish) but the real sale doesn't start until the 13th.

so i don't doubt that your friend got a good deal on some glass. but absolutely noway is the sale available early to "certain artists". i just can't see GA doing that.
Old 2015-02-19, 3:26pm

I think they could have been a lot clearer in the email that they sent around. I don't have the glass I ordered yet. I also hope they are not really going to charge me $20. for 4 lbs of glass.
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2015-02-20, 7:47am
DaveK

I got my order of Solara rod and non-sale Amazon Night on Tuesday. Shipping was 14.91 for 8+ lbs. to Oregon from Oregon .
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-02-20, 8:20am

oh they will, PaulaD. i ordered 4lbs of rod and 1 lb of frit = $28 shipping.
granted, it's from Or to Vt so that's quite a ways away.
Old 2015-02-20, 9:38am

Yeah and I know that UPS isn't cheap anymore. I also forgot that they are long rods and don't come in the flat rate boxes. (Which I notice are getting thinner and thinner!)
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2015-02-20, 3:22pm
Borovangelist

Thinner doesn't matter as long as you're still getting a pound of them.

Mine are coming FedPS, I didn't have any input in how they travel though.

|
|
Old 2015-02-24, 11:30am

i actually (usually) like them thinner. i don't do many stick/vac stack tube pulls, so thinner = less work for me lol.
although, fat rods can be pulled down to any size. i wish all the boro color mfg's would offer more then one size rod. GA has 4mm and 7mm, NS sometimes has "fats" but not every color.
Old 2015-02-24, 11:59am

I read that as the flat rate boxes getting thinner and thinner..?

|
|
|
|
Old 2015-02-24, 9:08pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalorlo View Post
I read that as the flat rate boxes getting thinner and thinner..?
Oh, that makes sense. I've never used flat rate because it's pretty useless to me

Oh, and my glass come fedex anyway

|
|
Old 2015-02-25, 5:23am

my small haul showed up last night...and the quality this year is very good. figures....i bought 12lbs or so last year, most of it was shit.
i bought only 4lbs rod and 1lb frit this year and it's nearly 1st quality as far as i can tell. go figure lol.
i think i'm going to order some more come payday. the color variety is low...most of it's gone already but there are a few good colors left.
Old 2015-02-25, 11:57am

they added more colors today. and i couldn't help but order another 6 lbs.
2lbs rosay, 2lbs brilliant blue, 1lb orange crayone and 1lb red crayon.

i'm nervous about the cads, although the yellow crayon i rec'd last night is very very nice.
Old 2015-02-25, 2:46pm
kinda torching....

I got some of the red and its really nice! id say at least 90%+ of my glass was odd to first quality, im guessingthey really listened to how upset peopke were last year. I got about 8-10lbs myself, wanted more and still do, just need the funds for the rest of the studio before i waste it on more glass lol

Old 2015-02-25, 4:15pm

I missed the brilliant blue - dangit - got Rozay, Orange Crayon and Chartreuse - Ordered 10 lbs last week but haven't received yet.

Now if I my boro stash matched the 104 stash.

I mainly work in boro BUT there's so much 104 from my past lives that I'm scared to even try to sort and list the whole 104 menagerie..... There are rods in that hodge podge that I can't even recall what they were....I know there are lots of vetrofond odds, specials - some lauscha's from being in the Lauscha color club, blah blah blah etc
Old 2015-02-26, 3:37am
kinda torching....

Why not list it in auction lots nevada? List everything you know is in there and what you think may be in there and let the market decide lol

Old 2015-02-26, 6:33am

i'm considering doing the same thing. i have a decent sized pile of mixed 104 (along with a full sampler of DH colors and fat zephyr 2nds.
but every time i think of selling it, i don't. i tell myself that one day, sooner or later, i'll want to play with it. i could use the cash right now though.
Old 2015-02-26, 7:49am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhamilton117 View Post
Why not list it in auction lots nevada? List everything you know is in there and what you think may be in there and let the market decide lol
Funny because that's exactly what I decided I was going to do this morning while I was having my coffee.....gonna bundle them up tonight and tag as many as I still have labels for and then sell in 5 lb lots...... some of these I bought 10 - 12 years ago and some haven't been around for a while....

Also received my first box of the GA sale stuff and its really good quality for Occassional stuff..... The colors are way better in person than what they look like on their site.....much more vibrant - was really happy with the olive - its a nice color. The Acid yellow was good too!

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2015-02-26 at 7:51am.
Old 2015-02-26, 7:57am

Brilliant Blue is back in stock so I snagged some - YAY
Old 2015-02-26, 8:01am

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
i'm considering doing the same thing. i have a decent sized pile of mixed 104 (along with a full sampler of DH colors and fat zephyr 2nds.
but every time i think of selling it, i don't. i tell myself that one day, sooner or later, i'll want to play with it. i could use the cash right now though.
LOL.....A little voice in me keeps saying hang on to it - it's not that much glass (true hoarder - I think it's over 100 lbs ) But I haven't made beads in almost a year and like stringing beads even less. I mainly do sculptural stuff so I am going to save some of my good 104 like petroleum green, red copper, azure, etc just in case i want the challenge of sculptural in 104 but am going to dump the rest - that's gives me about 9 sq feet of freed up space for Boro LMAO. Worse part of the whole deal is trying to organize and sell glass gives me the same emotions as cleaning out the garage or storage shed - Arrgh!

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2015-02-26 at 8:08am.
Old 2015-02-26, 12:10pm

My glass should be here today!

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2015-02-26, 12:42pm

i just have a hard time getting rid of anything that i spent $ on, or even worse stuff that was given to me, as a bit of my 104 stash was gifted.
but i do need to make some room. i'll probably pull my good clear, the DH glass, and the gifted glass and set those aside for later use.
all the other crap, might just go up on the auction block.