Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2009-05-25, 9:41pm
don't burn your fingers!

here is my try at this!! The focal is cracked, so I'm makin' another tonight!
tell me what you guys think!
-Scout-
Attached Images

Old 2009-05-26, 12:22am

what a shame it cracked...its yummy!

the wavy beads are very nice too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-05-26, 1:12am
Evil Glass Enabler

Those look very nice, Scout. Thanks for showing them off. Angelique

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2009-07-26, 7:07am
Ambivitreous

Rob,

Thanks again for this tutorial.

We finally got the studio up and running and I've been having a blast making wavies in 104. I'm not finding any difficulties, so long as I take it slow and easy with the melt. So far, I've only been using multi-color disks. Next step is to work on some twisties. I also have to work on being able to take photos.

Awesome tutorial and the technique is just too much fun.

Rockin' 2 Nortel Red Maxes with Mega Minor topfires on natural gas & 6 EX-15s with my glass accomplice Lisa F-R
Old 2009-12-27, 3:13pm

I tried this and it came out great! Thanks so much for sharing
Old 2009-12-27, 4:10pm
Evil Glass Enabler

Thumbs up

We need pictures, please! Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvsglass View Post
I tried this and it came out great! Thanks so much for sharing

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2010-01-02, 2:38am
Alaska Boro

Default Boro Bead from Tutorial

Gave the tutorial a try using Northstar colors. Excellent example of what can be done with boro.

This is an 18 mm bead with a 1/8 mandrel being used for the hole. Still working on getting decent pictures. Perhaps a little fine tuning is in order. i.e. the size may be a bit of over kill!! (smaller may be better)

Old 2010-01-02, 10:13am
Addicted to Melting Glass

Beautiful!!

Old 2010-01-02, 3:00pm

Wow beautiful beads, I wish they all had the colors used with the photos. They are amazing. I can't wait to try some for myself.
Sandra

face="Comic Sans MS">http://www.adornedintreasure.etsy.com
Old 2010-01-03, 12:22am

this is an amazing tut. I tried it twice and succeed but ı think picking the right colours is the main thing to show itself as a miracle.
Thanks rob
Old 2010-01-04, 6:02pm
Alaska Boro

Default Colors

The colors used for this bead are all Northstar. The base is wound with Dark Ruby. The spots of color are Carmel. The clear is Simax. In place of the dots on each side all being the same, they were alternated with Carmel and clear. Then reversed on the opposite side.

The bead was flame struck. Prior to striking, the bead will look clear. i..e no color in the Ruby. It will be interesting to see if the Ruby will change when the bead is kiln struck and to what extent.

Have just posted some sample beads if interested. Still have to construct a website for Alaska made beads. But it is just too much fun making beads in place of websites!!!

http://www.alaskahandmadejewelry.com...lampwork_beads
Old 2010-01-04, 7:02pm
Cherine Perrin Glass

What a cool tut - thanks so much Rob!

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2010-04-22, 8:23am
Glass my new Obsession

I am gonna have to try this tonight

Old 2010-04-23, 2:19am
Evil Glass Enabler

Thumbs up Wavy beads rock!

Nice wavy bead. This is one of my favorite beads and tutorials. Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska View Post

The colors used for this bead are all Northstar. The base is wound with Dark Ruby. The spots of color are Carmel. The clear is Simax. In place of the dots on each side all being the same, they were alternated with Carmel and clear. Then reversed on the opposite side.

The bead was flame struck. Prior to striking, the bead will look clear. i..e no color in the Ruby. It will be interesting to see if the Ruby will change when the bead is kiln struck and to what extent.

Have just posted some sample beads if interested. Still have to construct a website for Alaska made beads. But it is just too much fun making beads in place of websites!!!

http://www.alaskahandmadejewelry.com...lampwork_beads

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Old 2010-04-23, 10:54am

Thank you so much for this tutorial! I have my first attempts cooking in the kiln. I used the 104 on a hothead and didn't seem to have any problems. And its really good practice for me to wind those discs nice and even lol.

Old 2010-04-23, 11:01am

I might add that I did them in 104 because I don't own any boro lol. I am waiting for my new torch to try that. And I thought about encasing them in clear but wanted to see how my first attempts turned out before putting the effort into that lol.

Old 2010-04-23, 11:18am
Peerless Thread Killer

Thanks for posting this! I've been in a creative funk, and this might just be the thing to try and pull myself out of it.
I'll be trying this with soft glass-can't wait for the results...

Old 2010-04-23, 11:27am
Glass my new Obsession

I have a bunch in the kiln so we will see later how they turned out.On the plus side I can now wind a nice disk LOL

Old 2010-04-23, 11:38am
Glassy Broad :-)

Can I give you all a nice HUGE tip?????

After making the tiny base bead, just use ONE kind of glass to build the disc. WHAT? you say? Yep, only use a silver glass of some sort.
When I make mine, I usually use Ekho, or Psyche, Kronos etc.
After you have built the disc up as high as you want it,
Reduce it to a mirror like shine on the side. YES!!!
Now put the drops of clear over that, and continue on with melting it down.
I promise you will LOVE how this works!!!! you get striations of different colors without the work of different colors
It's awesome, I found this out the first year I was playing.
In this photo I believe I used Tasxco....enjoy

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2010-04-26, 3:31pm

Okay here is one of my first attempts at this technique. I am loving this and will be making many more I think! Thank you so much for sharing!

Old 2010-04-26, 3:34pm

Nita I will give that a try next time. I don't have much silver glass yet but enough to make a set or two I would think.

Old 2010-04-27, 8:57am
Glassy Broad :-)

Sonja, try it you will like it
Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2011-03-18, 3:23pm

Hi Everyone!
It's been a long time since I have posted regularly on the board. I took a leave of absence from the torch over a year ago. Not because I wanted too but because I sold my house and lost the studio that I had. I finally fired up the torch in the new studio the other day. Felt so good to finally melt something after so long. Seems that making these is like riding a bike.

Inspiration...............................
Attached Images

Old 2011-03-18, 4:05pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Welcome back, Rob! Can't wait to see your beauties in the gallery, too - those beads are luscious!

Old 2011-03-18, 9:46pm

Welcome back Rob! Ok, ya gotta tell - how do you get the sharp 'V' shape on those beads? They're gorgeous by the way!

Old 2011-03-19, 5:37pm

There are 2 styles pictured above, the first one is the method that this tut explains. 4 dots on each side of the disk. The next 2 bead sets have 8 smaller dots on each side. There is so much glass on the face of the disk that it pushes everything into a point instead of nice round wavy lines. If you thought 4 on each side was difficult? Hehe, try 8!

Old 2011-03-19, 6:09pm

Here is some more Inspiration and I apologize now for any drool on your keyboard.

Enjoy....................
Attached Images

Old 2011-03-19, 6:16pm
Tweedle Dumb

Ohh wow. Would you be willing to share what the orangey-pink beads are made out of? Wow. Just wow. Amazing. I've been working on them, but have a hard time keeping them small enough to be wearable. After seeing these, I'm for sure going to keep on trying.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2011-03-19, 6:42pm

Jamie,
Unfortunately most of the twisties i make for these beads come from a huge box of shorts that are not labeled. Sometimes I know what the colors are but 99% of the time I am clueless. Thats what makes these so much fun, you never know what your going to get until you open the kiln the next day! One of my goals this year after I get going full speed is to post a couple of these every week with the exact color combo that i used. Have fun and keep at it!

Old 2011-03-19, 6:59pm

OMGosh they are stunning, Rob! Thanks for explaining how you got the deep V pattern too. I've got to try this tonight!