No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-10-19, 10:17am
Salt Box Beads

Default Reichenbach frit on Bullseye?

Do you use R-frit on your bullseye? If yes, have you developed any rules of thumb that you have learned in using it? Any Bullseye colors that do not work well with it? Less is best? etc? Transparents or clear casings or not?

I am asking because I am considering selling off ALL of my 104 ( What a job that is going to be!) and moving to Bullseye glass exclusively and I want to keep using my R-frits. I can give up all of the odd lots and silver glasses but NOT MY R-FRIT!!!

I am just feeling the need to uncomplicate my life in the studio...can't really explain it but it just is feeling like the right thing to do.

Thanks for any info as this is a big decision for me.
Lorraine
Old 2008-10-19, 10:33am

Since Reichenbach glass is coe 91 to 94, it is more closely alligned to BE glass than any other. Colors within 3 coe points are considered by most glassworkers to be coe compatible. I have used this glass extensively with my BE and have never had a problem. One of my major reasons for switching to BE was the close compatibility with the various glassblowing glasses.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-10-19, 10:41am
Salt Box Beads

Thanks Pam...You totally confirmed my thoughts....now to go make a list of all of the 104's to sell

Thanks again I appreciate it so much.

Lorraine
Old 2008-10-19, 12:23pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Yes - what Pam said

Old 2008-10-19, 2:36pm
Salt Box Beads

Thanks MaryBeth...I have been out in the studio sorting and banding all of my 104 and boy do I have little cuts everywhere!!

Thanks again

Lorraine
Old 2008-10-19, 7:11pm

The only color I have had confirmed trouble with was R-enamel white. You need to make sure that you are garaged high (970-980) with a long soak and slow ramp. I had incompatability cracks show up on some beads that went through a low-temp annealling (930) about 5-6 months after they were done.
Old 2008-10-19, 8:13pm
Salt Box Beads

Thanks Linda, I will write that down. That is also just the kind of information I was looking for.

Lorraine
Old 2008-10-19, 8:20pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I bought some Uroboros rods (COE 96) just so I didn't have to worry about how much frit I used.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-10-19, 9:20pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
I bought some Uroboros rods (COE 96) just so I didn't have to worry about how much frit I used.
Not so fast! Try using some pink based frit on Uroboros. I used Bea's Bonnet and Uro clear together and every single bead cracked. I don't have any problems with blues or greens. I can used pink on 104 or 90 with no problems! Go figure. Do a search on this - others have documented it also.

Old 2008-10-19, 9:23pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Huh - I have used one of Val's pinks (I think it's the cranberry) on Urobium Uroboros and the other similar color and didn't have any trouble with it. I tried it with a BE pink and got cracks. I don't have Bea's Bonnet to try.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-19, 9:52pm
Salt Box Beads

Very interesting... I do not have beas bonnet either...but I do have the urobium..beautiful color. Is the Uro clear a lead based clear? I wouldn't think it would have cracked...hummmm Were either of you encasing the bead?? Would that make a difference? Just wondering about the why?

Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2008-10-19 at 9:54pm.
Old 2008-10-20, 6:28am

Quote:
I have a small stash of Uroboros to go with my 96 (raku, silver glasses, etc), too. When olympic has their next 30% off sale, I'll add some other colors.
Old 2008-10-20, 6:46am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 TOUCANS View Post
Very interesting... I do not have beas bonnet either...but I do have the urobium..beautiful color. Is the Uro clear a lead based clear? I wouldn't think it would have cracked...hummmm Were either of you encasing the bead?? Would that make a difference? Just wondering about the why?

Lorraine
I don't think the Uroboros clear is lead based - it is not "stretchy" the way furnace glasses are.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-20, 11:36am
novembersfyre everywhere

The Bea's Bonnet/Uroboros clear thing really puzzled me until I came across other posts about pink furnace glass and Uro clear (I can't remember where I saw them now).

At first I thought it was because I made pressed beads and didn't heat them up well enough before I put them in the kiln. But I'm no rookie with that kind of bead and all of them cracked! Plus, I made one tube shaped bead and that one seemed OK for a while. I looked at it the other day and it had cracked also!

I don't expect everything to be compatible with everything else so when something doesn't work I either try to figure out how I can make it work or I note the problem and move on. The Bea's Bonnet works fine on 104 so I just don't use it on the Uroboros anymore.

Old 2008-10-20, 5:57pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

how odd that it works on 104 and not something so much closer to its own COE.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-20, 6:04pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
how odd that it works on 104 and not something so much closer to its own COE.
Perhaps closer to same viscosity?

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan