Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2009-07-19, 3:16pm
Covered in glitter

Default Nikon D5000

Does anyone have one? I'm thinking of buying one but just can't decide between that and the Nikon D90. Any thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2009-07-19, 4:15pm
thinking4myself

Deb, my sister's friend has one (or one of the other high end ones, can't remember because she actually has more than one). Susie borrowed a print to bring to show me last time I was home. Her friend goes on photo safaris in Africa for her vacations, and she'd taken a picture of a warthog. The ants crawling on the warthog's nose are in focus...and I'm pretty sure she didn't get close enough to use a macro lens, LOL. I say if you have the money, go for the 5000!

P.S. I guess you can do that with whatever expensive camera plus a great zoom lens, but this woman is such a satisfied Nikon customer that she has a small collection of them. I have a D40, and I am happy with it. (Doesn't mean I'd turn down a bigger one for a gift, but I really like my camera )

Last edited by angelinabeadalina; 2009-07-19 at 4:17pm.
Old 2009-07-19, 4:31pm
Entropy increasing....

I have the D90. If I had the money I would get the 5000. But I am a camera whore now.

I love my D90 though. Love it.

What do you want to take pictures of?
Old 2009-07-19, 5:38pm
Covered in glitter

That's nice to know! The 5000 is definitely less expensive than the 90 but I can probably find it online for less money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2009-07-19, 9:23pm

Try Calumet Photo on North Cherry Street (it's kind of tucked away but has a big parking lot). If nothing else, they can help you decide which one you really want and why. They might also have a trade-in or demo.

Last edited by KEW; 2009-07-19 at 9:26pm.
Old 2009-07-19, 9:41pm
Wild at Heart!

Just remember, it's not necessarily all about the camera, but its the lens. it's all about the lens and it's sad that Nikon and other package great cameras with crappy lenses (I own a D50 so I DO like Nikons )

??
Old 2009-07-19, 11:06pm

I own a Nikon D90, I bought last year and really like it. I worked in the photo market for 15 years. I used to shoot canon ae1 program , and a nikon fe. nikon always seemed a tad sharper, more coatings on the lens itself. so I made the switch to digital last summer. If you have been shooting a 35mm camera you will have no problems manually . You can shoot program or A or S mode and have som control. I use appature priority (A) Mode. In taking photos of beads and finished pieces as to get a very good depth of field for a charp photo all the way through. It has video as well Hd to be exact so you can use this for shooting small demos . This camera is loaded. I dont think there would be any reason for any one needing more on a camera.
Old 2009-07-22, 11:47am

I have the D70, which I loved until recently. Something is seriously wrong with the shutter, in that it no longer works. First it started sticking, then it quit working. The camera is out of warranty so I'm stuck with the repair. I'm taking it in tomorrow. If I had to replace it, I would by another Nikon.

Old 2009-07-23, 4:36pm

I looked at one of these yesterday. Was planning on getting a D60 but with the live screen option on the D5000, this is now the camera I'm planning on getting.

Old 2009-07-23, 4:47pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybeadmaker View Post
I have the D70, which I loved until recently. Something is seriously wrong with the shutter, in that it no longer works. First it started sticking, then it quit working. The camera is out of warranty so I'm stuck with the repair. I'm taking it in tomorrow. If I had to replace it, I would by another Nikon.
Are you sure it is fully charged? I had problems with the shutter on an old Nikon of mine and it was just needed a new battery.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-07-24, 5:10pm

The D5000 is a super nice camera. But unless you're going out in the field and for shooting action shots, it maybe over kill for shooting beads. You'll be paying for features that you probably wont use.

I would totally go with the D90. I still shoot with an ancient D50. I use it heavily for work and love it.

Here is a link I found that compares the features of the D5000 and D90.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5000/
Old 2009-07-24, 8:21pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_H View Post
The D5000 is a super nice camera. But unless you're going out in the field and for shooting action shots, it maybe over kill for shooting beads. You'll be paying for features that you probably wont use.

I would totally go with the D90. I still shoot with an ancient D50. I use it heavily for work and love it.

Here is a link I found that compares the features of the D5000 and D90.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5000/
One important difference mentioned in the article above is that the D90 has an in-body focusing motor where the D5000 does not, which means that lenses for the D5000 will have to have their own motor and will therefore be more expensive.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2009-08-04, 12:54am

Well, I took my D 70 to a local shop. The guy has been repairing cameras for 40 years. He thought maybe my shutter motor had died. He ordered a new one....that wasn't it. So now I either send this one back to Nikon and see what the repair will cost, or buy the D90. I'm pretty sure I'm going to send it in, however the repair guy said the problem with digital cameras is that their life span is usually 3-5 years. My camera is 3 1/2 years. We are going on vacation in 10 days...with all the kids and grandbabies. Guess I will be camera-less. Not to mention all the beads that are waiting to be photographed so they can go on ebay and etsy .....sigh

Old 2009-08-04, 1:50pm
Wild at Heart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
One important difference mentioned in the article above is that the D90 has an in-body focusing motor where the D5000 does not, which means that lenses for the D5000 will have to have their own motor and will therefore be more expensive.
But the cool things about the in-lens motors are that they work with your old 35mm cameras too! I have a couple of these lenses with the motors in them and they are great.

The kit lenses they sell however are "crapola" in my opinion. I've had lenses for years and never had problems with them and my kit lens broke one day when I took it out to use the camera. One minute it was working the next, it wasn't.

Of course it was out of warranty

I am still saving money for a better lens.. but I've been using my 50mm 1.4 to take action shots of my daughters volleyball team (super low light conditions) and it does amazing!
You really get what you pay for in a lens, but be careful what you buy. I have a 105mm macro I thought was going to be a great lens for beads, however the depth of field focusing range on that baby is less than 1/2 inch.. so even with the aperature stopped down as far as possible in a really large bead or piece of jewelry there is a lot of it out of focus. I initially wanted the 60mm but they were out of stock and I was leaving on vacation and wanted a lens so I paid the extra (lots of extra) and bought the 105mm.. Dumb move for my bead photography, great move for other stuff. Don't always listen to the guy behind the camera counter. You will get most accurate information from your independant camer shop, not Best Buy or those other big guys...

okay.. off my soap box.. but I still love my D50

??
Old 2009-08-10, 12:08pm
Covered in glitter

WooHoo!!! I got the D90! I'm waiting for DH to get home before I take it out of the box. LOL
I didn't get the macro lens yet. I got the close up filters and will try those for a while. They were pretty cheap and I'm waiting for a new macro lens that's coming out soon.
I never go to a big box store if I can help it. There's a store in Chicago, Helix, and I get most of my equipment from them.

Old 2009-08-10, 12:10pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Congratulations - you will love that camera. I adore mine

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2009-08-10, 12:15pm
Covered in glitter

If I can ever figure it out Squid...LOL It seems pretty user friendly so I hope it won't be too hard.

Old 2009-08-10, 12:18pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

It can be incredibly complicated, but takes awesome pics in the Auto mode!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2009-08-10, 2:40pm
Covered in glitter

Thank ALL the gods for the Auto mode! LOL I've done a few great pics with that nice little auto mode!

Old 2009-08-10, 2:59pm

Congrats Deb, you will love the camera, just be patient learning it's ways I got the best news today. My D70 was fixed locally for less than $100.00. He replaced the shutter and it works just fine !! Things like that never happen to me, but I am so grateful. We are leaving for vacation (a 40 year marriage celebration given to us by our children) All the kids and grandkids are going...and I will have a working camera !!!!

Old 2009-08-10, 3:01pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

That is great Harriet - it never seems to be something simple when technology breaks. I am glad yours was!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2009-08-10, 6:04pm
Covered in glitter

Harriet I'm so glad your camera got fixed! I can't imagine having to go through buying another one.